Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2015--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

Yes. It says my application is "not complete" but it lists my transcripts, GRE scores, application, and recommendations as completed before the deadline. I emailed the coordinator about it. Guess I'll find out tomorrow.

What? The Washington deadline isn't until the 15th.

I meant the Washington Information School program (it was due Dec 1). Sorry if that alarmed you!

I know everyone has much better things to occupy themselves with right now, but, do any of you know much about the study of non-verbal communication in academia? Any eminent programs, researchers, books or other bodies of work?

Hey everyone,

I've been lurking on this thread for a while now and I've now reached severe stress levels so I'm finally posting as a way of calming myself down.

I'm applying for film/media studies PhDs. My GRE scores aren't bad (160 V, 167 Q, 5.0 AW) and I'm pretty happy with my SoP and my writing samples but I'm still seriously freaking out. I keep crossing off universities that have upcoming deadlines because I'm either hopeful I'll get accepted to the ones I've already applied to or I'm pretty sure I wont get accepted to them anyways. Lol, it's definitely a stressful time!

One of my LoR writers STILL hasn't submitted his LoR for an application that was due Dec 1st. I've emailed him multiple times and I just don't know what the hold up is. Should I just let it go or substitute another professor instead? Will they even accept it if he submits it now, almost ten days after the deadline?

Will they even accept it if he submits it now, almost ten days after the deadline?

I suggest contacting the program coordinator and asking. That's the only way to know for sure.

So I'm concerned I haven't applied to enough places (especially given the selectivity of my schools -- UCB accepts 2/3 students every year).

I'm considering whether to apply to an additional PhD program that has a later deadline that I could still make. It's a pretty decent fit, but the reason I wasn't applying there is I'm not enthused about the location. But now I'm wondering whether it may be worth applying regardless...

Thank you so much for that suggestion. I was so caught up in freaking out I didn't even consider it! I emailed them and they said they'd still accept it as long as he submits it before next week so ... fingers crossed!

Thank you so much for that suggestion. I was so caught up in freaking out I didn't even consider it! I emailed them and they said they'd still accept it as long as he submits it before next week so ... fingers crossed!

I recommend calling the letter writer, on the phone, and if you can't get them then call their assistant/secretary. 

Good luck. Where are you applying?

So I'm concerned I haven't applied to enough places (especially given the selectivity of my schools -- UCB accepts 2/3 students every year).

I'm considering whether to apply to an additional PhD program that has a later deadline that I could still make. It's a pretty decent fit, but the reason I wasn't applying there is I'm not enthused about the location. But now I'm wondering whether it may be worth applying regardless...

I think that's a personal choice. I applied to schools based only on faculty and program fit; location was not a factor. On the other hand, one of my grad faculty is a strong proponent of only applying to places you'd enjoy living since you'll be there for so long. I don't think either is inherently right or wrong. Like EVERYTHING ELSE in this process, I don't think there's a clear answer.

I chose to apply to 10 to increase my odds but, actually, I may not submit  a few of them. As I adjust my SOP for each program, it's becoming increasingly clear which schools don't match my interests as well as I'd thought. 

Sometimes locations you think might be bad end up being okay. And other times locations you think you can be okay with end up being miserable.

I was unsure about coming to Oklahoma but it has ended up being a good place. Part of that is related to how much I love my program, though, and having a place where my husband and sons are happy. But then I lived in other places and the climate contributed to a very bad experience.

If you think you could be happy even if the location isn't ideal, then go for it, because having a decent fit is huge. But misery in location can make grad school a lot more challenging than it needs to be.

I had the same thing happen.  I ended up getting a new LOR.

I'm going to go with another LOR too, my professor's being extremely unresponsive at the moment and I just can't wait any more.

I've applied to NYU Tisch, Steinhardt, Syracuse, UT-Austin and I'm going for Northwestern, Pittsburgh and probably Wisconsin-Madison. I had a few more initially picked out because I really don't want to risk this and to have to wait another year but, like Autumn said, as I started writing my SoP's I realized that not all of them are good fits for me so I've narrowed it down to 6-7.

(any other good universities you'd recommend? I'm a cinema student from Iran and I'm looking for a degree in film/media studies.)

I'm going to go with another LOR too, my professor's being extremely unresponsive at the moment and I just can't wait any more.

I've applied to NYU Tisch, Steinhardt, Syracuse, UT-Austin and I'm going for Northwestern, Pittsburgh and probably Wisconsin-Madison. I had a few more initially picked out because I really don't want to risk this and to have to wait another year but, like Autumn said, as I started writing my SoP's I realized that not all of them are good fits for me so I've narrowed it down to 6-7.

(any other good universities you'd recommend? I'm a cinema student from Iran and I'm looking for a degree in film/media studies.)

I don't know if this fits your area but Bowling Green University has a reputable program. http://www.bgsu.edu/arts-and-sciences/media-and-communication/graduate/phd-program.html

I applied to Michigan, UCB, UCSB, Georgia State, Yale in addition to Northwestern, Pitt, and UTA. 8 total. I think I would be happy at either of these schools because the research I want to do can be done at most any strong film / media studies program. Nearly all film programs these days have faculty heavily invested in the role technology plays in our social and political lives (including cinema), and this seems to be where my work is directing me. As with all of this, though, it really depends on your fit and the type of work that is being produced at said institution.

Thanks for the input, autumn and lyrehc. It's definitely a hard decision with no clear answer. I'm leaning towards not applying there, because I really don't like the location. Factoring in my partner is also complicating things -- though a couple of schools I have applied to are clear across the country!

The tricky thing is that most of you have relatively poor odds of getting into any particular school, but you have good odds of getting into one of the several schools. It makes sense statistically, but it's hard to really grasp when you have so much riding on it.

The tricky thing is that most of you have relatively poor odds of getting into any particular school, but you have good odds of getting into one of the several schools. It makes sense statistically, but it's hard to really grasp when you have so much riding on it.

I'm trying to stay cautious. And not even cautiously optimistic. Just cautious.

There is one program on my list that is relatively unknown and really small, at which I spent a full day talking to professors, admins, and students. I'm pretty sure I've got a decent shot there.

The rest? No clue in the world. 

I just read/skimmed the entire Communication application thread from 2014. :ph34r:

....I have a problem. 

I've read through that thread, as well. What's the problem?

I've read through that thread, as well. What's the problem?

I think they're implying that anxiety caused them to give a lot of time to an activity that was not necessarily fruitful. 

I do find those old threads really helpful though. It's nice to see things unfolding in almost "real time" especially during interview/acceptance season. 

Edited by grad_wannabe

I think they're implying that anxiety caused them to give a lot of time to an activity that was not necessarily fruitful. 

I do find those old threads really helpful though. It's nice to see things unfolding in almost "real time" especially during interview/acceptance season. 

That's why I was asking. I found them to be helpful, too... although it's a bit weird that this thread will serve the same function next year. 

Hello to all of you who are applying for doctorate programs for 2016!  You are not wasting your time by reading this thread.  Everything that has been, and will be, posted within this forum thread is brilliant.  Best of luck to you!