Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2015--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

Hi! My name is Jo and I'm new to gradcafe. I'm currently a Master's student at Syracuse University and am applying to Ph.D applications for the Fall 2015 season. :)

I was just wondering if anyone was accepted to and will be attending ICA in Pueto Rico this May. Letters went out this morning!

I didn't but the main POI I'd been in conversation with is one of the people interviewing me so he's aware. That's an interesting idea, though.

Congrats to whoever received the Comm Arts Rhetoric interview at UW Madison!

I haven't had a ton of interaction with my POIs so I don't want to pester them with an email that just says I've applied. I got the "best of luck, look forward to reading it" type of emails before submitting my application.

I haven't had a ton of interaction with my POIs so I don't want to pester them with an email that just says I've applied. I got the "best of luck, look forward to reading it" type of emails before submitting my application.

Yeah I was worried about that.

In an attempt to diversify my approach, for one of my programs I refrained from attempting any POI contact. Never emailed or wrote to them whatsoever, just submitted the app. 

All the POIs with whom I'd had some interaction (6 out of 7 apps), I sent the "app is officially in" email.

Of course, remains to be seen which approach will yield results!

I really wish I had more information about if/when a couple of my schools send interview invites. The results search isn't super helpful (regardless of how many times I run the same search)... Only one acceptance.

I know, lol, why on Earth do I keep searching as though there are going to be "new" old results ...?!

The worst bit about it is that it appears that some of the schools send out acceptances/rejections based on certain areas within their program at different times.

When's the earliest you can hope to hear back?

Earliest... late in the first week of Feb. But more likely the second or third week of Feb, for two programs. Then early March. If no news by then, then .... probably not good news... :/

The worst bit about it is that it appears that some of the schools send out acceptances/rejections based on certain areas within their program at different times.

Nooooo, don't give me MORE to overanalyze!

At first I was grateful, but now I think it was a bad idea that one of the grad program assistants told me the exact date the adcomm would meet. So now I know it's been a week and a half, and that they are RIGHT in the middle of deciding, AS we type this! Drives me bonkers!

Edited by jujubea

I know how you feel!  The only thing that keeps me sane is thinking that this decision cycle is only a second in the infinite history of the world.  Whether we all get accepted or rejected it doesn't really mean that much in the bigger story of history.  Who knows what we will think about these days in 20 or 50 years?  

I know how you feel!  The only thing that keeps me sane is thinking that this decision cycle is only a second in the infinite history of the world.  Whether we all get accepted or rejected it doesn't really mean that much in the bigger story of history.  Who knows what we will think about these days in 20 or 50 years?  

I like the way you think.

Ok, interview breakdown. If you want more information, feel free to PM me. 

I think it went ok. We had some technical difficulties with Skype so we switched to a phone interview mid-question. As a result, my response to the first question was not very smooth. Hopefully, he'll forgive me that one.

The questions were: why graduate school, what do you want to study, and why do you want to study it here. He asked me one question about my interdisciplinary background and mentioned that he'd have to look into how credits would transfer, etc. 

I asked a few questions and he shared some information about stipends, summer support, the TA process, and what the rest of the admissions process would look like.

I was originally told they interviewed 10, but that's jumped to 12 now. They do not know how many spots are available yet as funding has not been decided. I should hear back in 3 or so weeks (ah!). They don't usually have a waitlist but they may need one this year.

Oi, that was stressful. 

Man, not much to hang hopes on there. I guess it's a good sign he was thinking about your credits transferring ... ?

Thanks for the attempt ;) but I'm not holding my breath. It's my top choice but, respectfully, it seems to be many, many people's top choice.

Edited by autumn

Thanks for the attempt ;) but I'm not holding my breath. It's my top choice but, respectfully, it seems to be many, many people's top choice.

Thanks for the interview breakdown! I think it sounds like it went pretty well, actually -- though you're bound to overanalyze it and find ways it could have been better.

I wonder why some schools do interviews and others don't?