Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2015--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

Thanks! 

Perhaps it has to do with whether you mentioned a specific professor or not? I know my invitation to interview came from someone I talked about in my SOP as a person I was specifically applying to study with and my dissertation project idea revolved around his prior research, so maybe they thought it would be a good idea to see if the two of us are even compatible before taking my app further? that's the only insight I can offer. 

[Edit to Add:] Interview is tomorrow at 10am PDT/1pm EST.  I'll update after if people are interested...

Hi Roguesenna, 

Can you tell us how your usc interview went today?

Thanks! 

Perhaps it has to do with whether you mentioned a specific professor or not? I know my invitation to interview came from someone I talked about in my SOP as a person I was specifically applying to study with and my dissertation project idea revolved around his prior research, so maybe they thought it would be a good idea to see if the two of us are even compatible before taking my app further? that's the only insight I can offer. 

[Edit to Add:] Interview is tomorrow at 10am PDT/1pm EST.  I'll update after if people are interested...

How'd your interview go? I'm going to accept your interpretation so I can stop freaking out, since all the professors I wrote about know me to various degrees. =X 

Edited by anothergradapplicant

1/22: Received email from Northwestern University inviting me to interview on-campus in March. 

Congrats!! That's so exciting! 

Which area did you apply for?

Yep! "Travel expenses, hotel accommodations, some meals."

That makes it a lot nicer.  

On a side note is anyone else on couchsurfing.org?  I've found that it is a nice and free alternative to staying at hotels while I'm at conferences (and possibly visits). 

On a side note is anyone else on couchsurfing.org?  I've found that it is a nice and free alternative to staying at hotels while I'm at conferences (and possibly visits). 

No, I haven't heard of that site before; I'll have to look into it. I mostly use airbnb.

Just stopping in to say 'Hello' and sending positive vibes to everyone. The waiting game sucks, but some advice that I received last year when I was shutout for grad apps was was that 'You will end up where you need to be'!!!! 

Also, how do you add the 'applied' 'interviewed' tab at the bottom of your reply? Fairly new to this whole thing. 

Just stopping in to say 'Hello' and sending positive vibes to everyone. The waiting game sucks, but some advice that I received last year when I was shutout for grad apps was was that 'You will end up where you need to be'!!!! 

Also, how do you add the 'applied' 'interviewed' tab at the bottom of your reply? Fairly new to this whole thing. 

Thanks for the advice!

It's a signature. At the top of the page, you'll see your screen name and a little arrow. Click that and select "My Settings." In the left-hand menu, you'll see Signature. Just type in what you want and hit save. 

Ahhhh!

I just got an e-mail saying final decisions are being made for one of my programs .... but my ugrad transcripts don't show my ugrad degree, so a "final decision can't be made" yet!

One of the downsides of going to a completely unorthodox ugrad institution.... Reordering them now, with specific instructions to list my degreeBut the order itself doesn't even get processed until 7-10 days after submitting it! Meaning two more unnecessary weeks, at best! 

Ahhhh!

I just got an e-mail saying final decisions are being made for one of my programs .... but my ugrad transcripts don't show my ugrad degree, so a "final decision can't be made" yet!

One of the downsides of going to a completely unorthodox ugrad institution.... Reordering them now, with specific instructions to list my degreeBut the order itself doesn't even get processed until 7-10 days after submitting it! Meaning two more unnecessary weeks, at best! 

Oh gosh. Maybe it's a good sign that they want to see it? Did you get a personalized email or a website notification?