2015 - Social Psych

FinallyAccepted

Totally, no one ever tries to get a visa to live and learn at "silly American schools"....

It is just so silly and not worth anyones time ever....

It has never happened, not even once.

:sigh:

I believe you already took the time.

Explaining myself- AGAIN- I'm sure the person I referenced meant it's something that is generally more relevant to US schools and moreover, much of the world (yes, other countries do, in fact, have respectable institutions) does not care about the GREs.

ANYWAY, here's Tom with the weather...

Edited by TheMercySeat

Just thought I'd pop in and look at this thread, since my interest in political psychology is somewhat relevant....but, after reading the last couple pages of.."discussion", I'm going to head back over to the political science forum.

g-good luck everyone...don't let the "reverse discrimination" and "biases" bite...lol

Let's go back to productive discussion :)

To any current social psych students-- How did your first impressions of people, during your interview visit, play out once you actually got to know them?

To applicants-- What personality traits are you looking for in prospective PIs or classmates?

"All US schools", really?

I don't mean to be harsh here, but that's really American-centric and shows that you're not familiar with the reputations of social psych programs more broadly. The Canadian social psychology programs at UBC, Toronto, and Waterloo are among the top social programs in North America.

Edit to add because you referenced the GRE: everyone in my year scored 99th percentile on the psych GRE and mostly above 90 or 95th on the parts of the general.

I'm realizing this post might come off as defensive, but, yes, I was slightly peeved at the implications from a few posters that Canadian schools are less selective and particularly this quote.

As someone currently near the completion of a social psychology program in Europe I feel like I might be able to provide insight on this subject. As stated by others, the GRE is largely a North American construct. Not only does it NOT factor into admissions at the (vast) majority of schools, most people have never even heard of it. In fact when I mentioned that I had to take a test for graduate admissions back in the US most of my professors thought I was joking. 

I think the issue here is that in your defensiveness about the quality of Canadian you made a blanket projection that the North American view of psychology (and academia) is universally applied everywhere. 

Just thought I'd pop in and look at this thread, since my interest in political psychology is somewhat relevant....but, after reading the last couple pages of.."discussion", I'm going to head back over to the political science forum.

g-good luck everyone...don't let the "reverse discrimination" and "biases" bite...lol

Right behind ya! Ha. We need a political psychology thread somewhere.

So I just called the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign  graduate coordinator five minutes ago. She said that the Social-Personality area hasn't made any decisions yet. I asked if we are supposed to get phone or Skype interviews first and she said that yes there will and the emails for these will be sent before any official invites for the graduate in-person interview. I asked if she knew when the Skype/phone interviews will be happening, but she said that they will occur probably around mid February, but she wasn't sure because she hasn't heard anything yet from the Social-Personality area.
TXInstrument11-- you were right! the grad coordinator is super nice! 

Yup-- I said Social Personality...  I'll call again tomorrow to double check-- I think it's too late now to call again. 
Did anyone get any emails from UIUC?

Edited by coffeeaddict29

Yup-- I said Social Personality...  I'll call again tomorrow to double check-- I think it's too late now to call again. 

Did anyone get any emails from UIUC?

I received one from a POI. I responded to your PM, coffeeaddict29, but also decided to go ahead and post here as well.

I want to emphasize that it was unofficial and that I am still expecting one from the university. I really feel like a class-A jerk since I advised you to speak with the grad coordinator, but I think she may have been referring to official invites and was not up to speed on whether individual faculty had begun contacting students. I also received my email later in the working day, so her information could have simply been outdated at the time of your call.

I can confirm the (late) March visiting date for the school, though I have not yet received information in regards to travel plans. I would hang tight until next week or so. There is a lot of time between the visiting day and now, so a lot could happen in the coming weeks. Especially with many hearing back from other departments, it may very well be that a few offers will be rejected outright. 

I am uncomfortable divulging details about my POIs on the open forum, but will post updates here in regards to UIUC as I hear them. I will also respond to PMs.

Edited by TXInstrument11

Has anyone heard anything from Iowa State's social psych program? Even on the results page there are only a few people who have posted since 2009...

I think invites have all been sent out, so we should have heard something by now. Since I haven't called to confirm, I've kept ISU in orange in my sig.

Hope this helps - 

Other than a straight up acceptance and straight up rejection, I've heard absolutely nothing from any other schools. It's driving me nuts. I would really like to plan my life now please.

I feel you-- I feel exactly the same way... 

Congrats on the acceptance!

By the way, may I ask where you got accepted?

Other than a straight up acceptance and straight up rejection, I've heard absolutely nothing from any other schools. It's driving me nuts. I would really like to plan my life now please.

Agreed! And I want to be able to make my decision soon so that I don't leave POI #1 waiting forever. She was so nice so I would hate to screw her over somehow. But it looks like my other programs are a lottt slower.

Agreed! And I want to be able to make my decision soon so that I don't leave POI #1 waiting forever. She was so nice so I would hate to screw her over somehow. But it looks like my other programs are a lottt slower.

Ah yeah, that's rough. Isn't it interesting how we feel so pressured to make an instant decision (whether it's necessary or not) even though we had to wait months for schools to make theirs? Ha.

I received one from a POI. I responded to your PM, coffeeaddict29, but also decided to go ahead and post here as well.

I want to emphasize that it was unofficial and that I am still expecting one from the university. I really feel like a class-A jerk since I advised you to speak with the grad coordinator, but I think she may have been referring to official invites and was not up to speed on whether individual faculty had begun contacting students. I also received my email later in the working day, so her information could have simply been outdated at the time of your call.

I can confirm the (late) March visiting date for the school, though I have not yet received information in regards to travel plans. I would hang tight until next week or so. There is a lot of time between the visiting day and now, so a lot could happen in the coming weeks. Especially with many hearing back from other departments, it may very well be that a few offers will be rejected outright. 

I am uncomfortable divulging details about my POIs on the open forum, but will post updates here in regards to UIUC as I hear them. I will also respond to PMs.

Update for UIUC: The POI who emailed me confirmed that they would be my advisor - excellent for me, as they were my top choice. This may mean that other faculty are still sending their invites out, so good luck!  :)

Edited by TXInstrument11

I remember being this time last year, when I was hearing back about interviews + acceptances myself.  It's awesome to see all of you being so successful.  I'm really happy for y'all.  CONGRATULATIONS!

Edited by gellert