DAAD

Horb

Hi yeskay, I was admitted to Hertie MIA 2015 too, but had to apply for DAAD funding before October last year (the deadline), even though I didn't know then if Hertie would admit me. That round of funding is for potentially my whole degree. If you have not yet applied, DAAD can still offer you funding during your second study year only, if you apply this year before October.

Edited by Caelryck

Is it bad I'm still hoping for this week? I was told to expect a decision by the end of March. . . but maybe they will surprise us with news today?

Hi there! I'm waiting on the DAAD grant as well and the suspense is killing me. I know it doesn't help to compulsively check the DAAD Portal, but ugh. They should have a support group for this.

Hoping to hear something soon!!

Hope you get it! Doing an intensive language course in Germany would be a great experience -- I would love to do the same thing in France, but so far I haven't found comparable programs to the DAAD. Do you know which city you would be in?

I applied for Marburg and Bonn (I'm hoping Marburg). I really would like to find out by the 27th, but we will see! Otherwise I might just take a job opportunity and apply again next year. Where are you hoping to study?

I also looked for something in France (I need to learn French for my degree) and I couldn't find anything. If I do in my continued search efforts, I'll be sure to tell you.

Ooops sent that off too early! I'm currently in my first year of a M.Sc. in Politics, Economics and Philosophy in Hamburg... Still have another year to go and would love some DAAD funding :D

I've never been to Hamburg! I studied in Tübingen as an undergrad and loved it. But I found I became a bit rusty when not constantly surrounded by German, so I'm hoping to take some more german courses when I return from Marburg (assuming I get it). How do you like your program of study? 

To be honest, the program is  a lot more economics than it is politics and philosophy -- that can be good or bad depending on your preferences. Personally, I was a bit surprised to be handing in problem sets with mathematical proofs. Hopefully the next few semesters will be less econ focused. 

Bummer. Just got a rejection email! I thought I was fairly strong. Good luck to you guys.

My profile: Applied for DAAD Study Scholarship, have done a 3 year undergrad in political science (University of Queensland, Australia), master's summer school at Oxford University in UK, 1 year assistant teaching in Germany. Admitted to Hertie School of Governance, an elite private university in Berlin.

(Btw, my application status now says "selection made". So that doesn't mean acceptance.)

Edited by Caelryck

Everyone's different, I guess I just wasn't what they were looking for this time. Horb, DAAD Australia just said they got approval from Bonn to email me.

Yes I am, another English teaching assistant job is maybe possible, and this could help finance living costs (at best). But you can't choose a placement, and my school has recommended not working during the degree due to its intensive nature. Not sure yet.

Edited by Caelryck