Fall 2015 School Psychology Applicants

SchoolPsych_NYC

I just read this entire thread and have learned a ton of stuff. I have only applied to one school The University of the Pacific and have an interview soon. What are you guys thoughts on that program? The Ed.s not the Phd. Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated :-)

• 2 months later...

Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place, let me know if I am!

I'm going into my final year of college and I've decided I want to continue on with an EdS & PhD in School Psychology.

• I'm a Psychology and Child Development double major
  • If I get straight A's this last year, I will have a 3.64 cumulative GPA, a 3.51 psychology GPA, and a 3.63 child development gpa.
  • Right now i have a 3.5 cumulative, 3.47 psychology, and a 3.54 child development gpa. this will probably be on my resume.
  • I've been doing a peer education volunteer program for the past semester (i give presentations on eating disorders to classes around campus and the community). it will be two semesters when i apply.
  • I also got accepted into a peer mentoring program, and from my understanding I will be helping other students with Child Development classes.
  • I will be doing an internship at a preschool starting fall semester. i'll be working with preschoolers and kindergarteners. it's an instructional unit and research laboratory.
  • i'll also be joining a research lab for this next near.
  • I'm a black female who lives in California. I don't want to stay in California, though--I just want to go anywhere to be honest, hopefully somewhere in the pacific north west or northeast. I will go anywhere, though, especially if they have good funding and are nice.
  • I have not taken the GREs yet.

What are the best places for me to apply? Do I have a chance of getting in anywhere, let alone a PhD program? I'm really scared and at this point i just want to get in anywhere, but hopefully where ever I go there will be funding.

Edited by highborn

I'm going into my final year of college and I've decided I want to continue on with an EdS & PhD in School Psychology.

• If I get straight A's this last year, I will have a 3.64 cumulative GPA, a 3.51 psychology GPA, and a 3.63 child development gpa.
  • Right now i have a 3.5 cumulative, 3.47 psychology, and a 3.54 child development gpa. this will probably be on my resume.
  • I've been doing a peer education volunteer program for the past semester (i give presentations on eating disorders to classes around campus and the community). it will be two semesters when i apply.
  • I also got accepted into a peer mentoring program, and from my understanding I will be helping other students with Child Development classes.
  • I will be doing an internship at a preschool starting fall semester. i'll be working with preschoolers and kindergarteners. it's an instructional unit and research laboratory.
  • I'm a black female who lives in California. I don't want to stay in California, though--I just want to go anywhere to be honest, hopefully somewhere in the pacific north west or northeast. I will go anywhere, though, especially if they have good funding and are nice.

What are the best places for me to apply? Do I have a chance of getting in anywhere, let alone a PhD program? I'm really scared and at this point i just want to get in anywhere, but hopefully where ever I go there will be funding.

Welcome! Your resume looks pretty good, but you should narrow down now whether you want a PhD or EdS. This should be pretty simple. What are your overall career goals? Primarily in the field? Want to work with kids every day? EdS. Primarily research or academia? Want to get behind the issues that affect kids in schools? PhD. (There is some overlap, of course, but that's the gist of it). Also, don't expect funding for an EdS. But do not settle for a PhD program WITHOUT funding.

Be aware that schools in OR and CA require you to take the state education test (CBEST or CSET for CA, can't remember which - and whatever the equivalent is for OR) before applying. I'm not sure about WA, but it seems likely.

Edited by iphi

Oh, I just realized you ARE sort of posting in the wrong place! Not that it's bad, just that this is last year's thread. You'll get more responses if you post in a Fall 2016 thread (the year you would start school). I thought there was one already, but a search doesn't bring one up, so maybe you could get the ball rolling and start one! :)

You definitely have a very good chance of getting into any EdS / Master's / SSP /CAGS (different places have different names for the degree) program in school psychology. I had a lower GPA than yours when I applied. I don't know about your shot with PhD programs, as I did not apply to any, but if you play your cards right and apply to schools within reach, then you will definitely get into a EdS / Master's / SSP / CAGS program.

Hey guys!

With school starting soon (ah!), I am trying to get prepared with school supplies. Have any of you bought anything in particular you feel like you have to have to start school? Related to classes in general but also related to school psych.  For example, I will be starting an internship with elementary students and plan to have a "grab bag" of little goodies they can choose from when they complete assessments, incentive plans, etc. Any tips and thoughts from you guys would be great!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I posted here a while ago but it's time for me to really get everything together and start applying. Can anyone give me any insight into programs for the following schools?

Fairfield University, Towson University, Georgian Court University, Rowan University, Columbia University, PCOM, St. John's University, Temple University, Fordham, College of William & Mary, Loyola (Marymount or Chicago), Tufts, Northeast, University of Washington

As you can tell, I'm all over the place and overwhelmed. :wacko: Honestly, I just want a school with a good reputation and hopefully some kind of grant/scholarship/assistantship. My GPA is pretty good (3.9) and my GRE was so-so (153 verbal, 142 quant, 3.5 writing).

Also, this might be a dumb question, but is there any benefit to getting a P.D. vs an Ed.S.?