Fall 2015 School Psychology Applicants

SchoolPsych_NYC

just submitted one of my apps! the rest are on hold as I am waiting on my LORs to be uploaded by my recommenders. The app I just submitted requires letters to be mailed, so my job was done there. Feels good to be a quarter of the way done with the app process! Just 3 more apps to submit by next month. Who else cant wait until this process is over with?!  :P

For anyone who will be applying to the PD (Professional Diploma/Advanced Certificate) in School Psychology at Fordham University, I just found out as of last year, they no longer offer the MSEd in Preschool Psychology, as the faculty member who ran the program is also no longer with Fordham. Instead, students are required to earn an MSEd in either Therapeutic Interventions, Educational Evaluation and Intervention, or The Psychology of Bilingual Students (separate from the Bilingual extension for the PD, and bilingualism is not a requirement of the MSEd in bilingual students). Handbooks, department bulletins, and the programs information and webpage do not disclose the information about the obsolete program and still lists it as an MSEd option. I just had to revise the focus of my SOP because I was set on applying to the PD program and specializing in preschool assessment and intervention. Just wanted to put the word out there for anyone who was not aware.. 

I was at their open house earlier this year and no mention of this was ever made, even after I expressed interest in the preschool MSEd.. 

Thanks for the information. I was just on their website earlier and it seems like there are some broken links when I clicked on it. I'm interested in the Bilingual School Psychology program which they called Bi.PD

Guest lacrosse789

just submitted one of my apps! the rest are on hold as I am waiting on my LORs to be uploaded by my recommenders. The app I just submitted requires letters to be mailed, so my job was done there. Feels good to be a quarter of the way done with the app process! Just 3 more apps to submit by next month. Who else cant wait until this process is over with?!  :P

I hear you! I am halfway done with my applications but feel as if I am running a marathon. I then remind myself that the marathon is really just beginning  :blink:

Me!! I can't wait until its over! I have submitted all of my apps, just waiting on ONE person to submit their letter to each school. I am so ready for the next steps :)

I hear you! I am halfway done with my applications but feel as if I am running a marathon. I then remind myself that the marathon is really just beginning  :blink:

ugh sad but true. We have a long way to go... but at least we're on our way!

Hello everyone!!

I am also applying to Ph.D./Psy.D programs in School Psychology. Did anyone find professors you want to work with? Anyone has any tips on approaching the professors, since what I learnt that finding the best fit is the one of the most important factors when it comes to applying to grad schools.

Hello everyone!!

I am also applying to Ph.D./Psy.D programs in School Psychology. Did anyone find professors you want to work with? Anyone has any tips on approaching the professors, since what I learnt that finding the best fit is the one of the most important factors when it comes to applying to grad schools.

Just send them an email! Tell them that you are interested in their research topic and are thinking about applying. Although it is rather late now since most deadlines are in December.

Just send them an email! Tell them that you are interested in their research topic and are thinking about applying. Although it is rather late now since most deadlines are in December.

Thank you for the note. I know the time is running out...and I have reached out some professors, glad that most of the programs that I'm applying to ends around mid-Jan.

Hey guys I'm a first year at a Psy.D in school psych program - feel free to ask any questions about curriculum, funding, social life idc whatever you want to know :)

Would you like to share us some of your background info.? Thank you:)

Guest lacrosse789

Hey did any of you (any of you currently) have a letter writer who missed the application deadline to submit it? Do you know if programs don't look at the applications if a letter is late? Mine completely dropped off the face of the planet and I really don't know if she will get it in on time!

Hey did any of you (any of you currently) have a letter writer who missed the application deadline to submit it? Do you know if programs don't look at the applications if a letter is late? Mine completely dropped off the face of the planet and I really don't know if she will get it in on time!

This happened to me last year. Deadlines from Dec 1-17 rolled around and by Christmas my letter writer still hadn't turned them in. I was getting letters from schools saying they wouldn't read my application if they didn't have her letter, so I wrote to her and got an automatic message saying she was in Nepal until January. I freaked out, but in the end NONE of my applications (I had 10) were thrown out. Thank goodness!

Edited by iphi

Guest lacrosse789

This happened to me last year. Deadlines from Dec 1-17 rolled around and by Christmas my letter writer still hadn't turned them in. I was getting letters from schools saying they wouldn't read my application if they didn't have her letter, so I wrote to her and got an automatic message saying she was in Nepal until January. I freaked out, but in the end NONE of my applications (I had 10) were thrown out. Thank goodness!

Great, that's really reassuring to know! Although I do not think mine is in Nepal - that must have been scary!

OMG, I feel like I'm so behind. I am still revising my SOP and contacting professors for recommendations.  :( Though the deadlines are Jan 15th, Feb 1st.

Don't! Most people on these boards have deadlines in December! :)

Hello! :) Not sure if I'm in the right place, but I need some advice.

I'm currently finishing up a B.A. in Psychology at Fairleigh Dickinson University (December 2015). My GPA is currently 4.0, but I've transferred schools quite a few times and my GPA has not always been satisfactory. I don't have any work experience with children but I'm currently looking for volunteer opportunities. I want to become a school psychologist ASAP. I've read that it would be best to get an Ed.S. However, with my lack of experience, is this even possible?

My top choice right now is Fairfield University, for a M.A./C.A.S. Would I need to get an Ed.S. after this?

Another route I'm thinking of is doing a M.A. in Applied Behavior Analysis, and then applying to an Ed.S. program. Would this be counter-productive?

I would like to get a PhD later on in life, but would like to get started with my career asap. Sorry for asking so many questions.  :P I'm just a bit overwhelmed.

Hello! :) Not sure if I'm in the right place, but I need some advice.

I'm currently finishing up a B.A. in Psychology at Fairleigh Dickinson University (December 2015). My GPA is currently 4.0, but I've transferred schools quite a few times and my GPA has not always been satisfactory. I don't have any work experience with children but I'm currently looking for volunteer opportunities. I want to become a school psychologist ASAP. I've read that it would be best to get an Ed.S. However, with my lack of experience, is this even possible?

My top choice right now is Fairfield University, for a M.A./C.A.S. Would I need to get an Ed.S. after this?

Another route I'm thinking of is doing a M.A. in Applied Behavior Analysis, and then applying to an Ed.S. program. Would this be counter-productive?

I would like to get a PhD later on in life, but would like to get started with my career asap. Sorry for asking so many questions.  :P I'm just a bit overwhelmed.

I think that if you get some experience with kids starting now and lasting through the year you will be fine! IMO it would be counter-productive to get an MA before your EdS - it would be redundant. If you address your transfer issues in your essay, and talk about how you overcame whatever it was to have a 4.0 I think that will be fine, especially if you keep it up for the next year. Having stellar recommendation letters would help too, especially from your professors.

You may also want to see if there is a school psychologist you can shadow and ask questions of!

So I did not waive my right to access any of my applications. I had assisted in developing a letter for one of my recommenders and was provided with an unofficial copy prior to his uploading. However, something told me that this person would just be uploading directly from microsoft word, no university letterhead or anything, just his signature. I emailed to thank him for uploading but also casually asked if it was printed on letterhead. This was his reply:

"Frankly letterheads are mostly a cosmetic element. We have provided numerous recommendation letters to other individuals who have been part of our project in the past and have not received any negative feedback about this. There is a process for authenticating your references which is very thorough.  In the end, you will be judged on substance so I would not dwell on it too much." 

I am uncomfortable with all of this, given that I know from experience and common sense, a letter of recommendation is only considered official with a signature on university, organization, or company letterhead. So I have emailed admissions to clarify, but just wanted to gauge an opinion on here, if anyone has also been in this kind of situation. I know some of you may say you didn't even get to see your letters and some things are better left unknown... sigh

So I did not waive my right to access any of my applications. I had assisted in developing a letter for one of my recommenders and was provided with an unofficial copy prior to his uploading. However, something told me that this person would just be uploading directly from microsoft word, no university letterhead or anything, just his signature. I emailed to thank him for uploading but also casually asked if it was printed on letterhead. This was his reply:

"Frankly letterheads are mostly a cosmetic element. We have provided numerous recommendation letters to other individuals who have been part of our project in the past and have not received any negative feedback about this. There is a process for authenticating your references which is very thorough.  In the end, you will be judged on substance so I would not dwell on it too much." 

I am uncomfortable with all of this, given that I know from experience and common sense, a letter of recommendation is only considered official with a signature on university, organization, or company letterhead. So I have emailed admissions to clarify, but just wanted to gauge an opinion on here, if anyone has also been in this kind of situation. I know some of you may say you didn't even get to see your letters and some things are better left unknown... sigh

Hmm, I haven't but see why it would make you nervous. If you x-post this to the "Letters of Rec" forum you may get more answers from the wider GC community...

Guest lacrosse789

Just found out I submitted my application to the wrong department and I have to resubmit everything -- application, new transcripts, new letters of recommendation. I don't think I can get it all in on time by Monday!  :blink:

Hmm, I haven't but see why it would make you nervous. If you x-post this to the "Letters of Rec" forum you may get more answers from the wider GC community...

Thanks, iphi, for the suggestion. I did make a new thread there and was pretty much told to just let it go... I don't think I am overreacting here but maybe the anxiety of the application process is getting to me and I am starting to nitpick.. :(

So is the recommendation one where you submit the person's email address and they log on? Because if so that is proof he works at a university! :)

Yes, its one of those. Guess I justify his having a university email and that speaking for itself.. Just so crazy to witness the evolution of technology replacing snail mail with digital correspondence. An email domain and "signature" is the new letterhead.. call me old fashioned, but the times are changing!

Hi everyone,

I've got a question for students currently in school psych programs:

How should one go about emailing the professors he or she is interested in working with? Do you need to read a ton of this professor's research, and then come up with your own questions about his/her work? Or is it enough to mention that you have similar research interests, and then ask the professor if he/she is taking students next year?

Thanks so much!