Fall 2015 School Psychology Applicants

SchoolPsych_NYC

I'm heading into a couple of PhD program interviews and I'm wondering -- can I recycle questions with different faculty? As in, how would you describe the culture of the program, etc. ? 

Absolutely! You want to get different perspectives because it might give you better insights into the program. It also might help you figure out whose style is the best fit for you from an advising standpoint.

Hi everyone!

I have been ghost reading posts from this thread for weeks, without much to contribute myself, but I've been enjoying hearing about other people's admissions journeys. :)

I am attending my first interview next week for a PhD program. I have been scouring the Internet for weeks searching for tips on what to expect and how to prepare. I just read through the links iphi posted on page 7 about interviewing, and found them to be extremely helpful. Thanks for posting!

Now, I am curious to hear about people's personal experiences with interviews, if anyone feels like sharing. Specifically, I'd like to know what you did to prepare, if you found your preparation to be sufficient, what questions were asked (hardest to answer, most common, etc), the feel of the interview (formal, casual, lots of questions, conversation, discussion, etc). For current grad students, do professors have applicant preferences pre-interview or are they really choosing who to offer admission to mostly based on that interaction? I really want to know if people have been grilled, question wise, and if so, on what topics. I had planned on doing a mock interview to prepare but it fell through, so now I'm frantically trying to figure out what a typical interview specific to school psychology PhD programs is like.

Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Hey Mallorye,

You're asking good questions - the type of questions you need to be asking to ensure that you're successful for your interview(s).

A little background: I'm currently a senior in undergrad and I've attended 2 of my 7 interviews thus far. One was at a program that strikes a good balance between research and practice; the other was at a large research-oriented program that aims to put most of its students back into academia. While both interviews were similar in more ways than one, they were also very different in terms of atmosphere, questions, and just general "vibe." I don't know where you applied, but I'll try to illustrate my experience as best as possible.

My preparation wasn't too extensive, honestly. With the exception of my PoI, I didn't pour over each faculty member's work (although I did know enough about it to where I could discuss it competently). I put together a list of questions that I felt like I could be asked and made sure I had a response. I also put together two separate lists of questions I would ask - one for faulty, the other for current students. As I learned, you can find out more about the day-to-day musings of the program from students rather than faculty (and both places I have interviewed have encouraged asking as many questions as needed and recycling questions across faculty and students to make sure there's some consistency).

As for specific questions, I was asked pretty generic things: strengths/weaknesses, what would you be doing if not pursuing graduate school, how to you expect to be successful in graduate school, etc. You should have good answers to these questions because they are to be anticipated. The more difficult questions came from particularly inquisitive faculty who have at least a partial hand in the research that's appealing to me. "Many programs do x and y like we do; why did you apply here to study this?" Always, always, always have a distinct, precise reason as to why you chose to apply to the school you're interviewing at. Any ambiguity when answering that question can really hinder your chances of getting it. After all, this is the next 5-6 years of your life; why should they admit you if you don't know exactly why you want to be there?  

The vibe of both interviews was very conversational-esque. I've been told by multiple people that faculty want to admit people they can "hang out" with for the next 5 years. That's helped me during my interviews. So, in other words, don't be uptight. Focus on relaxing and having a good conversation about something that's meaningful to you. If you're at an interview, chances are that you're surrounding by smart, intellectual people. Embrace that.

Obviously I can't speak to the preference question because I am not a current student, but I find it hard to believe that faculty don't anticipate meeting specific people based off of prior interaction, breadth of work, strength of application, etc.

That last thing I'll say is this: at both interviews, faculty made it very clear that if you're here, we have a vested interest in your future in this program. Not everyone will get in, obviously, which is more an indicator that maybe you weren't the right fit for the program than it was you were unqualified. In fewer words, understand that if you're at the interview, you deserve to be there. 

I hope this helps! If you want to speak more about it or have specific questions about other components of the interview, please feel free to DM me and I will absolutely give you my two cents. 

Best of luck to you! 

Now, I am curious to hear about people's personal experiences with interviews, if anyone feels like sharing. Specifically, I'd like to know what you did to prepare, if you found your preparation to be sufficient, what questions were asked (hardest to answer, most common, etc), the feel of the interview (formal, casual, lots of questions, conversation, discussion, etc). For current grad students, do professors have applicant preferences pre-interview or are they really choosing who to offer admission to mostly based on that interaction? I really want to know if people have been grilled, question wise, and if so, on what topics. I had planned on doing a mock interview to prepare but it fell through, so now I'm frantically trying to figure out what a typical interview specific to school psychology PhD programs is like.

Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

To prepare I read articles by each of the professors I was interested in working with. I knew how my research interests aligned with theirs, etc. I really over-prepared, all of my questions for all 7 interviews were really standard. "Why school psych?" and "Why do you want to go to School X?" "Tell me about your research" or "Tell me about XYZ in your resume". No curve balls at all.

Also having questions for current students and profs are key! The format of most of mine was the profs asking me questions (usually a group panel, but sometimes individual interviews) and then after about 10 minutes I get to ask them questions. Occasionally a grad student was there as well.

Overall it should be better than you think it will be! Good luck. :)

Guest lacrosse789

So I just found out that my POI that I had been talking to in the fall left the program. He's no longer listed on the faculty. I do have an interview for the school and I was wondering how to go about finding a professor to work with when my research interests I listed are pretty specific. Can I just tell faculty I am interested in their work once I get there?

So I just found out that my POI that I had been talking to in the fall left the program. He's no longer listed on the faculty. I do have an interview for the school and I was wondering how to go about finding a professor to work with when my research interests I listed are pretty specific. Can I just tell faculty I am interested in their work once I get there?

Yes, read articles from the other profs who work there and find something you can seize onto for the interview. You may want to re-think attending that school next year, though! My POI left after I had made the decision to come to the school (left in the summer) and now there is no one here who does what I want to do. It's a huge problem because the faculty doesn't want me to pursue the line of research I came to grad school to do. :(

Hi all,

I've got another question about interviewing - what should one wear for an interview day (for a PhD program)? Is a pant suit appropriate? Or will I seem overdressed?

Thanks!

p.s. I'm sorry if this question has already been answered elsewhere. I have looked at other threads on interview attire, but it really seems to vary by field. So I figured I'd ask about attire specifically on the school psych thread.

I know most of everyone on this thread is applying to American schools but I thought it would be worth posting incase someone on here applied to uCalgary for MSc School & Applied Child Psychology program I was informed by the grad admin that all apps have now been sent off for review and we will hear back by the end of February at the latest.

Guest lacrosse789

Hi all,

I've got another question about interviewing - what should one wear for an interview day (for a PhD program)? Is a pant suit appropriate? Or will I seem overdressed?

Thanks!

p.s. I'm sorry if this question has already been answered elsewhere. I have looked at other threads on interview attire, but it really seems to vary by field. So I figured I'd ask about attire specifically on the school psych thread.

In my interviews, almost everyone has worn the pants suit. A couple people wore matching blazers and skirts. 

Athlete2academic & iphi, thanks for your wonderful, comprehensive replies! I am really relieved to hear that you weren't thrown any curveball questions during the interview.

About wearing a pantsuit to an interview... I would also appreciate experienced interviewees take on this, though I suppose it doesn't much matter for my first interview as it's on Friday & I already have my suit. :)

At one of my interviews (the school I currently attend, as a matter of fact!) I was the only one not wearing a pantsuit! I wore black dress pants, a white blouse with a grey cashmere sweater over it. And black ballet flats.

I still got in.... obviously. ;)

eta: Actually I think one girl wore a skirt (she got in too). But she had a suit jacket. I was the only one without a blazer!

Edited by iphi

Thanks everyone! I guess the pantsuit is the way to go then.

And mallorye, good luck on your first interview! Mine is Monday. Hopefully we'll both do great :-)

Also, good luck to all of my other fellow applicants!

What are the benefits of getting a phd over a masters in school psychology? 

It really depends on your career goals! If you want to work in research (school district, university professor) a PhD is the way to go! Or if you want to have your own practice or work in a hospital. Otherwise an EdS pretty much qualifies you for any other job.

I should also add that if you want to work as a school psych in a school you can do so with a PhD and you might even be paid more. But you may also be seen as overqualified (or too expensive).

Also be mindful of campus tours! Especially in cold climates. They always want to give you one, so bring appropriate footwear.

It rained during the campus tour portion of an interview I attended last week (huge campus). Nearly all of the women wore flats & heels with no socks (they wore skirts with blazers, to give some input to the above few posters). When we got back, the female graduate students immediately started to hand out band-aids for all the blistering heels. Being the only male, I didn't have this problem ;) Nevertheless, I can't imagine all schools being this hospitable, so you may want to throw a few band-aids in your purse just in case.  

Hello,

Quick question! I applied to both PhD and EdS programs. I was admitted to my top choice EdS program (yay), and have some PhD interviews coming up. However, I was invited to another EdS program interview yesterday, but am certain I will not attend. Does anyone have tips on the best way to reply to the interview invite that I will not attend? I want to be tactful in my decline, so any advice or tips are helpful!  Thanks! :)

Athlete2academic & iphi, thanks for your wonderful, comprehensive replies! I am really relieved to hear that you weren't thrown any curveball questions during the interview.

About wearing a pantsuit to an interview... I would also appreciate experienced interviewees take on this, though I suppose it doesn't much matter for my first interview as it's on Friday & I already have my suit. :)

At both my interviews, the large majority of people were wearing pantsuits or blazers/skirts, so I think you're fine wearing that. I will admit though, for my first interview I was unsure of what to wear (I'm not very comfortable wearing pant suits at all!) so I wore dress pants, heels, and a collared blouse with a nice sweater over it. I felt like the odd one out for sure, but I still got accepted so I think as long as you look put together you'll be fine :)

Edited by jmg023

At both my interviews, the large majority of people were wearing pantsuits or blazers/skirts, so I think you're fine wearing that. I will admit though, for my first interview I was unsure of what to wear (I'm not very comfortable wearing pant suits at all!) so I wore dress pants, heels, and a collared blouse with a nice sweater over it. I felt like the odd one out for sure, but I still got accepted so I think as long as you look put together you'll be fine :)

Yup, I wore the same thing (minus the heels) last year. Felt a bit awkward next to everyone in the suits, but I was fine.

Yup, I wore the same thing (minus the heels) last year. Felt a bit awkward next to everyone in the suits, but I was fine.

Haha glad to know I'm not the only one :)

My People! 

It's so good to finally encounter people who actually know what school psychology is first of all and who are interested in it too.

I am applying to:

Texas State University (Texas)

St John's University (New York)

I thought that they both seemed like a good fit for me, although now I lean more heavily toward St John's than Texas.

I completed my application for Texas a few days ago. I am still waiting for my transcript to reach St John's. 

Has anyone attended a dinner with faculty, other candidates, and current students? Any recommendations on what to wear? The following day is the interview, and I plan to wear a pant suit then. Thanks!!

Has anyone attended a dinner with faculty, other candidates, and current students? Any recommendations on what to wear? The following day is the interview, and I plan to wear a pant suit then. Thanks!!

Hm, I wonder if you are coming to our dinner! Is it tomorrow? ;) Casual (or at least more casual than the interview) should be fine. I mean, no ripped pants or flip-flops or anything, but a sweater with some jeans should be fine. Just dress weather-appropriate!

Hm, I wonder if you are coming to our dinner! Is it tomorrow? ;) Casual (or at least more casual than the interview) should be fine. I mean, no ripped pants or flip-flops or anything, but a sweater with some jeans should be fine. Just dress weather-appropriate!

The dinner is not until March! (soooooo late).

Good to know sweater and jeans combo is okay. Thanks!