Fall 2015 School Psychology Applicants

SchoolPsych_NYC

Has anyone had issues traveling to interviews due to weather conditions? Did the school allow you to reschedule?

I have an interview at a really great school tomorrow. I live some distance away, so I was supposed to drive down this afternoon, stay with a grad student the night before, and attend the interview at 8:00 a.m. the next day. However, it was predicted that the area in which I live would get a huge snow storm this afternoon.

This morning, I woke up and saw the snow.  I panicked and emailed the program director, telling her I would not be able to make it because of the weather, and asked if I could reschedule or interview via Skype instead. However, I still have not heard back from her.

Now I'm worried that I should have just driven down anyways, despite the snow. Have I completely ruined my chances of getting in to a great school?

Has anyone had issues traveling to interviews due to weather conditions? Did the school allow you to reschedule?

I have an interview at a really great school tomorrow. I live some distance away, so I was supposed to drive down this afternoon, stay with a grad student the night before, and attend the interview at 8:00 a.m. the next day. However, it was predicted that the area in which I live would get a huge snow storm this afternoon.

This morning, I woke up and saw the snow.  I panicked and emailed the program director, telling her I would not be able to make it because of the weather, and asked if I could reschedule or interview via Skype instead. However, I still have not heard back from her.

Now I'm worried that I should have just driven down anyways, despite the snow. Have I completely ruined my chances of getting in to a great school?

Please tell me you also told the grad student you were supposed to stay with!

Please tell me you also told the grad student you were supposed to stay with!

Yes, I emailed the grad student I was supposed to stay with immediately after I emailed the program director (early this morning). I made sure to apologize for any inconvenience my not coming may have caused, and to thank her for offering to host me. :)

Anyone heard from Teachers College Ed.M program yet?  :unsure:

I did, their interview date is in about two weeks. I applied to their Ph.D. program originally and got an email in late January telling me that I'd have a higher chance of admission if I reclassified to the Ed.M. program.

I did, their interview date is in about two weeks. I applied to their Ph.D. program originally and got an email in late January telling me that I'd have a higher chance of admission if I reclassified to the Ed.M. program.

Congrats! I applied EdM program but submitted near deadline time. Hopefully I'll hear from them soon.

Ive been invited to my second Interview for an ED.S. program at Temple University on the 23rd of February in Philadelphia.

Is anyone familiar with what Temple offers in terms of graduate assistantships and work opportunities? Any Temple peeps out there?? :)

Also they asked me to rsvp for in person or request a phone/Skype interview. If I opt for a phone interview do you believe this will decrease my chances for acceptance? Please let me know.

Thank you

LF

Guest lacrosse789

Has anyone heard from Ohio State PhD?

I haven't heard anything from them beyond the emails asking for applicants for scholarships. I assumed that they must have done interviews this late in the game unless they are very slow. 

Also they asked me to rsvp for in person or request a phone/Skype interview. If I opt for a phone interview do you believe this will decrease my chances for acceptance? Please let me know.

No. I have spoken to this before but I had 4 phone and 3 in-person interviews and got into all of them no matter what the interview method.

I haven't heard anything from them beyond the emails asking for applicants for scholarships. I assumed that they must have done interviews this late in the game unless they are very slow. 

Same here. I contacted the department initially and was told that I would know 6-8 weeks from the deadline of December 1. January 26 marked 8 weeks. I contacted them on February 2 (9 weeks since deadline) and was told that faculty was still reviewing applications. Hmmm, it's interesting to me that it is taking so long, and actually concerns me a bit about the overall functioning of the program. Do you know anyone in the program or have you heard anything (positive or negative) related to the program?

Does anyone have insight on non-APA accredited school psychology programs? 2 of 4 PhD programs I applied to are not APA accredited (however, they all are NASP accredited). One of them I am highly interested in due to their foundation in behavior analysis and I have had a really great experience overall communicating with them throughout this process. I have an interview in a few weeks with them and plan to ask about their lack of APA accreditation (is that appropriate?).

Any thoughts, comments, insight is welcome!! Thanks!

For brevity, APA accreditation means that a program has met very rigorous, specific standards outlined by the APA. If I am not mistaken (I heard this figure at several different interviews over the past three weeks), only four School Psychology programs are both APA and NASP accredited. There is definitely something to be said for having APA accreditation, though, as far as the quality of a program is concerned. Several profs. I consulted with prior to the application process urged me to apply only to programs that are APA accredited, mostly because it is near impossible to secure an APPIC internship in your fifth (or sixth at some schools) year when coming from a non-APA accredited school. If this is not something important to you (the APPIC internship), then I would not worry about it at all, especially if the programs are NASP approved.

As far as asking them about their lack of APA accreditation, go for it. It shows that you're interested and invested in your future and want to make sure you're getting a high quality graduate education. You might even find that the two programs you applied to are actively involved in the accreditation process.

Hope this helps.   

Guest lacrosse789

Same here. I contacted the department initially and was told that I would know 6-8 weeks from the deadline of December 1. January 26 marked 8 weeks. I contacted them on February 2 (9 weeks since deadline) and was told that faculty was still reviewing applications. Hmmm, it's interesting to me that it is taking so long, and actually concerns me a bit about the overall functioning of the program. Do you know anyone in the program or have you heard anything (positive or negative) related to the program?

Unfortunately, no, I do not. It is definitely concerning though that they can't get things rolling nine weeks after the deadline. 

Hello- new here!

Can anybody shed some more light on the school psych admissions process/timeline? Do you think for most PhD programs they offer their initial acceptances, and then once they hear back from those applicants, they extend additional acceptances until they fill all their spots? I am getting nervous because I have not heard from several programs, and I see in the Results search that for at least one of those programs (Lehigh PhD), somebody was already offered acceptance on Tuesday, 2/10. 

If that is the case, and acceptances go out in waves, do you think this will happen in advance of the April 15 deadline?

Hello- new here!

Can anybody shed some more light on the school psych admissions process/timeline? Do you think for most PhD programs they offer their initial acceptances, and then once they hear back from those applicants, they extend additional acceptances until they fill all their spots? I am getting nervous because I have not heard from several programs, and I see in the Results search that for at least one of those programs (Lehigh PhD), somebody was already offered acceptance on Tuesday, 2/10. 

If that is the case, and acceptances go out in waves, do you think this will happen in advance of the April 15 deadline?

It depends on if you got an interview! If you had an interview, then yes it can go out in waves. If you had no interview (and others did) that is an unofficial rejection.

Waitlist stuff can happen after April 15... but usually you will know before.

For brevity, APA accreditation means that a program has met very rigorous, specific standards outlined by the APA. If I am not mistaken (I heard this figure at several different interviews over the past three weeks), only four School Psychology programs are both APA and NASP accredited.

Uhh, I think that's totally wrong. If you look here http://www.nasponline.org/graduate-education/grad-edu.aspx?id=Select%20Programyou will see that there are tons of APA and NASP accredited School Psych PhD programs. I don't think the APA gives accreditation to anything below the doctoral level. 

Edited by jmg023

Uhh, I think that's totally wrong. If you look here http://www.nasponline.org/graduate-education/grad-edu.aspx?id=Select%20Programyou will see that there are tons of APA and NASP accredited School Psych PhD programs. I don't think the APA gives accreditation to anything below the doctoral level.

Sorry, just passing along the same bit of information that I heard at several different interview days. For what it's worth, I was at doctoral interviews, not M.A. or Ed.S.

Sorry, just passing along the same bit of information that I heard at several different interview days. For what it's worth, I was at doctoral interviews, not M.A. or Ed.S.

I heard that there were four Ph.D. programs that are APA and NASP certified that are hosted purely in the psychology department at a university (South Carolina, LSU, Syracuse and I forget the fourth). That was in contrast to programs which are offered in School Psychology or Educational Psychology departments which would probably not be able to provide as much funding supposedly

Edited by PschoolPsychology

I heard that there were four Ph.D. programs that are APA and NASP certified that are hosted purely in the psychology department at a university (South Carolina, LSU, Syracuse and I forget the fourth). That was in contrast to programs which are offered in School Psychology or Educational Psychology departments which would probably not be able to provide as much funding supposedly

This. Thanks for lending a hand. My apologizes for not having all the information.

Has anyone heard anything from USF? During the interview weekend they mentioned that candidates should know by Feb 14. I am holding onto a tiny piece of hope that they still have to call people regarding acceptances!