Who is getting excited!?

Crucial BBQ

@nutellarain

I interviewed mostly east coast and Midwest.  Nothing on the west coast. 

Nicer boots are just fine!

I think you COULD get away with dark jeans but my motto has always been it is better to be slightly over dressed than under. 

I would say that maybe 30% of girls wore heels.  Heels were not super popular since most interviews will include a good amount of walking, even on interview days you will go across campuses to meet with different PIs (at least I did at literally every interview).  So they always say...don't wear heels don't wear heels.  Well I'm short and I prefer heels and I can walk in them, so I did.  I had no issues but no one will judge you for not wearing heels.  I'd say a good pair of flats would work just fine.  My issues is that I'm shorter and hemmed all my pants to a length so I committed to heels.

My biggest comment would be:  get something you feel comfortable in and will like wearing.  I bought new outfits and new heels (broke them in ahead of time) but for me I had a number of interviews and that became my uniform.  I really had like 3 go to business/business casual outfits and from January-march I got a lot of use out of them.  I also got a number of compliments from other recruits on my interview outfit, you'll want to feel your best because that confidence comes across in your interviews. 

Interview and conference clothes. Meh.

I used to have a really nice pair of black pants that fit me perfectly, were super comfortable, and pet hair never stuck to them. Plus they were 20 bucks. I wore them to every presentation I did for 2 years, but they ended up falling apart because I also wore them to work (waiting tables) and washed them twice a week. Between the excessive washing and dripping sauce all over them, they didn't make it. So now I have no nice pants. I did recently buy two skirts. One is ankle length and really smooth and comfy. I love it, and it goes great with the only pair of dressy boots I own (the others are hiking boots, and besides that I have sneakers and crocs). It's black, too, so it goes with just about everything. The other is a little past knee length and it's comfortable, but everything sticks to it. It really annoys me.

Other than that, I really don't own anything nice for my lower body. I have several plain 3/4 sleeve shirts and a sweater or two that look somewhat dressy. It's enough to get me by so far. My main problem is that I really don't ever dress up at all... I wear jeans and t-shirts all the time, and I usually only wear skirts when I forget to do laundry and don't have any pants. So I usually feel funny when I get dressed up. I'm also not sure how I'm supposed to dress for conferences. I've been to a few, and most of them were targeted towards field biologists (and even had field trips!) so dressing up meant wearing a nice shirt with your hiking boots and jeans...

Joining in on the interview clothes struggle- last year target had great dressy grey slacks that were skinny, so you could tuck them into boots. (Great for northeast interviews!) I splurged on a nice suit jacket and some blouses to match. I had good luck at Banana Republic (although expensive) and I believe my jacket came from New York & Co. For more relaxed days I wore cardigans, dark jeans, and boots.

Question for the guys: Are suits absolutely necessary? Or would a dress shirt, tie, slacks, and nice shoes work? And what about more casual wear--what would you suggest for cold or warmer places? 

My wardrobe is very t-shirt/jeans based and I'd like to minimize the spending as much as I can (although I realize some nice clothes is a good investment).

Joining in on the interview clothes struggle- last year target had great dressy grey slacks that were skinny, so you could tuck them into boots. (Great for northeast interviews!) I splurged on a nice suit jacket and some blouses to match. I had good luck at Banana Republic (although expensive) and I believe my jacket came from New York & Co. For more relaxed days I wore cardigans, dark jeans, and boots.

I really like this idea, and I did buy a few pairs of skinny slacks (not skin-tight, but more fitted) because those "traditional" tent-looking giant trousers overwhelm my frame. I wasn't sure if I could wear boots under them or over them. Because they are still a little loose through the lower leg, I thought they might bunch up if I tucked them into boots. Furthermore, I have no idea where exactly the line is between casual winter boots and dressy boots. So...could you describe this further?

Question for the guys: Are suits absolutely necessary? Or would a dress shirt, tie, slacks, and nice shoes work? And what about more casual wear--what would you suggest for cold or warmer places? 

My wardrobe is very t-shirt/jeans based and I'd like to minimize the spending as much as I can (although I realize some nice clothes is a good investment).

The only school (that I applied to) that offered any advice about what to wear was Colorado Denver. They said this:

What should I wear to my interview?

Most candidates wear nice slacks or pants paired with a nice shirt or sweater. You may wear a suit, but it isn't customary. Keep in mind comfort and fluctuating temperatures and weather.

I don't know if this is the norm, but I bet an email to a program coordinator (upon receipt of an interview invitation) would help you figure this out.

Edited by pasteltomato

I seldom saw anyone in a suit at my interviews.  I brought the same two outfits. For day one when you are doing the most intensive interviewing, I did grey dress pants, dress shirt, tie and blue blazer with Sperry's.  I took the jacket off alot and pocketed the tie a few times when I saw how casual things were.  For day two where it is is less intensive, nice chinos and a nice button down shirt and Sperrys.  For the outings at night and such I wore jeans and a buttondown.

Maybe the word count is indicative of how important the program thinks the essay is so the 500 word ones won't hurt me too badly.

I think the 300 to 500 word counts are to keep the essays to the point.  Otherwise more of them would begin Ever since the age of three...

It is a pain, though.  Thankfully only one of my programs explicitly requests no more than 500 words.  I agree that it sounds rather robotic.  As fuzzy logician mentioned in different thread, it really makes you focus on what it important.   

Would be nice if schools waited to send out customer service surveys till the end of the cycle.

One of the schools I applied to last year is also the same school the Missus graduated from.  Occasionally, this school sends her items in the mail that come in large envelopes.  Not very funny if you ask me. 

Also I found this blog post really helpful/humorous. It's about dressing for a conference like a "fashionable lady scientist", but I think all of the outfits are business casual:

http://laserboyfriend.blogspot.com/2012/10/how-to-dress-for-conference-like.html

I don't think men have it easier (according to that blog).  Let's see:  there are sports coats, blazers, and suit jackets.  Of course that is leaving out the dinner jacket, which is sometimes called a tuxedo and sometimes not.  The tux that everyone knows aside, to the uninitiated the rest may look to be the same jacket.  Sometimes there is a leisure coat, which can look similar to the rest, or it could look like it is a part of a track suit.  

What about vents?  One?  Two?  Side?  None?  Then the lapel:  should it be thin?  Broad?  Rounded?  Pointed?  How many buttons?  One?  Two?  Three?  Four?  Okay, four button jackets are not that common.  Double breasted?

How many buttons on the cuff?  Three?  Five?  Would seven be overkill, or one not enough?  

Do shoes match the belt?  Do socks match the shirt?  What does the tie match? pants?  

Should the shoulders be sloped or broad?

Should it be fitted?  Yes.  Should it be bespoke?  If you can afford it.  Should it be worn off the rack?  Never, unless you want to look like a detective.  

What about cufflinks?  

Okay, I'm being a dork.   

I know man, I'm 5'10! Everything is too short for me and most "modest" style dresses are still too small. Awesome, thanks for the tip! I'll try to order some blouses from them today. 

I guess I'll have to get some slacks as well. Do you think nicer boots would be ok?

You would think I would learn how to dress nicely by this point! I've only ever worked in Seattle and SF (very casual cities, I could come to work in a neon onesie or sparkle pants and no one would bat an eye) and am just completely clueless. 

I bought slacks from H&M...they were something like this: http://www.hm.com/us/product/28728?article=28728-A

I hear nice boots are okay (from peachypie and ERRalpha, see above), but I'm not sure what constitutes "nice boots". Please, somebody, post a link to some pictures!

I hope this dress-up stuff doesn't matter as much as we're acting like it does. Should my fashion-senselessness affect my ability to further my education? I know being well-dressed for an interview shows respect for the program, but I think my stress about what to wear is much more accurately demonstrative.

@pasteltomato I had boots that were black and looked like leather (can't afford real leather obvs). Black always seems to look dressier to me than brown. Basically, boots that aren't uggs/ugg knockoffs. I just got a new pair from Payless since my old pair got eaten by salt for pretty cheap.

Suits aren't necessary, but you won't be out of place if you wear one. Honestly, I didn't even wear a tie. I do recommend a dress shirt for the interview portion at least, but after that's out of the way wearing a nice sweater can work for colder weather. Naturally, bring a winter coat as well. And nobody will judge you if it's not a "dressy" coat as everybody living there knows the important thing is to stay warm. If the program plans on you going outside for any significant period of time do bring boots instead of trying to navigate snow and ice in dress shoes (one program I interviewed at was originally going to take us snowshoeing, but was hit by a warm spell and instead students went to tour some of the local craft breweries).

I don't think men have it easier (according to that blog).  Let's see:  there are sports coats, blazers, and suit jackets.  Of course that is leaving out the dinner jacket, which is sometimes called a tuxedo and sometimes not.  The tux that everyone knows aside, to the uninitiated the rest may look to be the same jacket.  Sometimes there is a leisure coat, which can look similar to the rest, or it could look like it is a part of a track suit.  

What about vents?  One?  Two?  Side?  None?  Then the lapel:  should it be thin?  Broad?  Rounded?  Pointed?  How many buttons?  One?  Two?  Three?  Four?  Okay, four button jackets are not that common.  Double breasted?

How many buttons on the cuff?  Three?  Five?  Would seven be overkill, or one not enough?  

Do shoes match the belt?  Do socks match the shirt?  What does the tie match? pants?  

Should the shoulders be sloped or broad?

Should it be fitted?  Yes.  Should it be bespoke?  If you can afford it.  Should it be worn off the rack?  Never, unless you want to look like a detective.  

What about cufflinks?  

Okay, I'm being a dork.   

UMF, I get a metaphorical hard-on for menswear, so this post made me very happy. I often get confused for a faculty member at my school due to the beard, glasses, and propensity for tweed/wool sport coats.

For the fellas in the thread, I wore a suit 'cause I wanted to, but most people did not and it's definitely NOT necessary (this isn't med/law/biz school). Wear a nice dress shirt, slacks, loafers and you're set. Add a blazer and neckwear if you like, but feel comfortable. Jeans and a button-up are fine for the casual days, add a sweater for cold weather. No sneakers, no t-shirts; save those for once you're accepted. :)

I'm starting to get antsy! All of my apps are done except for one (Utah State), although I'm waiting on two of my LOR writers to submit for the applications with January due dates. I just wish they would take care of it... the letters are already written. I hope after semester grades are in they will get cracking!

Now that the semester is officially over aside from proctoring an exam on Thursday, I have lots of time to lose my mind over when I'll hear back from schools. I discovered that the University of Tennessee's application system gives updates on where the application is (with admissions, under review in the department, etc). Now I have an application I can keep checking on as part of the insanity!

I'm starting to get antsy! All of my apps are done except for one (Utah State), although I'm waiting on two of my LOR writers to submit for the applications with January due dates. I just wish they would take care of it... the letters are already written. I hope after semester grades are in they will get cracking!

Now that the semester is officially over aside from proctoring an exam on Thursday, I have lots of time to lose my mind over when I'll hear back from schools. I discovered that the University of Tennessee's application system gives updates on where the application is (with admissions, under review in the department, etc). Now I have an application I can keep checking on as part of the insanity!

Wow thats great! I wish my apps had something like that. Ive only officially submitted half of my applications. Ill submit the other half this weekend since they are all nearly ready to go (January deadlines). The waiting is driving me crazy already and so many people are getting interviews! I might hear back from 2 of my programs before Christmas but the rest will be in January or even February.

Wow thats great! I wish my apps had something like that. Ive only officially submitted half of my applications. Ill submit the other half this weekend since they are all nearly ready to go (January deadlines). The waiting is driving me crazy already and so many people are getting interviews! I might hear back from 2 of my programs before Christmas but the rest will be in January or even February.

I'm applying to similar programs as you are, which of your's have January deadlines? I'm looking to bump up my application numbers. 

You're interested in genomics/bioinformatics right? I am interested in protein folding, structure/function, dynamics so my interests are more towards biophysics than bioinformatics (but sort of at a cross between the two really). All of the deadlines that I have left are very biophysics focused, not genomics focused really. In case you're interested in looking at them though, Rice Unviersity (physical biology program), JHU (biophysics), and Stony Brook (Applied Math and Stat - they have actually have a lot of protein stuff going on there) all have later deadlines.

Of the bioinformatics programs I know of, I think that NC-State and Virignia Tech both have later deadlines and good genomics/systems bio related research.

Edited by bsharpe269

I found a wonderful distraction to keep my mind off of interview invites and wondering when my LOR writers will finally submit their darn letters for the January applications. Baking Christmas cookies! I make a lot... around 20 different kinds. It will keep me busy for a few days, anyway. Binge watching Game of Thrones or Babylon 5 if probably also in my future.

House of Cards season three in February...so close, yet so far away...

My family lives nearby, so I plan to get in some quality time with them both during break and in the spring. I'm the oldest child and I want to make and decorate cookies with my sibs. My youngest brother is 9 and although I already can't visit him that frequently, it's going to be hard if this is our last holiday for several years. Side question: what does a typical winter break look like in grad school? Is it 2 hours long?

My family lives nearby, so I plan to get in some quality time with them both during break and in the spring. I'm the oldest child and I want to make and decorate cookies with my sibs. My youngest brother is 9 and although I already can't visit him that frequently, it's going to be hard if this is our last holiday for several years. Side question: what does a typical winter break look like in grad school? Is it 2 hours long?

Similar thoughts have crossed my mind about the holidays. My family has always been pretty tight knit my whole life. We haven't been spending as much time with my extended family in the past few years, but my parents and siblings are always visiting throughout the year, and we never spend a holiday alone. I feel like I can probably visit for Christmas every year, but it won't be like it is now, and I can forget the other holidays. It's going to be weird not seeing my family so often.

As for winter break, I think it depends on your program. I do field work in the warm months, so my summer break is non-existent. However, my winter breaks for my masters program have been dull. This year, however, I do have my thesis writing to work on. Although I feel I may not accomplish as much as I'd like, because my committee is very slow to give me feedback on the things I send them.

Since you will be working in the lab, I imagine you'll be more like my friend who is also interested in neuroscience. She spent all of last winter break doing research, and she's doing it again this break.

I'm spending a bit of it in the lab, but I have a week and a half were the university is closed. I'm personally staying in town as I already visited my family for Thanksgiving and don't want to budget for a second trip so soon.

Well as a first year in a program with mandatory rotations..... I just finished finals and have a week of lab time before I am off until mid January-ish.  This is my last winter break though, after this I'll only  be taking time off for the holidays I think we get 10 days of vacation time outside of normal school holidays.  Obviously summer is in the lab as well.  The amount of time you take is probably largely dependent on your program and more specifically your PI's policy. 

'

Im working on my MS, applying to PhD programs. I currently don't get off for summer, winter break, spring break. I think alot of it has to do with your PI but even more has to do with your personality. If I wanted time off over spring break then no one would comment but "optional" group meetings continue and my PI definitely notices the couple of people who are hard at work. I just got my first PhD interview and I am pretty sure that my PI's LOR is one of the best components of my application.

If you end up in a lab that you love, working for a PI who you get along with, then you will probably want to work! I walked out of my last final thinking "yay I can finally focus on the research that I have been neglecting due to studying/classwork!" l have an amazing project that I really enjoy and an amazing PI who has been my main support during the PhD application process. My goal is to end up in a lab like this again for my PhD. If you do then you will be excited to work over break!

Im working on my MS, applying to PhD programs. I currently don't get off for summer, winter break, spring break. I think alot of it has to do with your PI but even more has to do with your personality. If I wanted time off over spring break then no one would comment but "optional" group meetings continue and my PI definitely notices the couple of people who are hard at work. I just got my first PhD interview and I am pretty sure that my PI's LOR is one of the best components of my application.

If you end up in a lab that you love, working for a PI who you get along with, then you will probably want to work! I walked out of my last final thinking "yay I can finally focus on the research that I have been neglecting due to studying/classwork!" l have an amazing project that I really enjoy and an amazing PI who has been my main support during the PhD application process. My goal is to end up in a lab like this again for my PhD. If you do then you will be excited to work over break!

I love the positivity here. I wish this for all of us.

I guess my question was whether breaks do exist at all (I'm aware summer doesn't, but that's fine). I don't take a lot of time off, but if I'm moving across the country it would be nice to know if once or twice a year I could have 2-4 days off to visit my family. Do you think the average PI would see this as reasonable? I know that's an ill-posed question, but I don't have a gauge for "reasonable" as of yet.

I love the positivity here. I wish this for all of us.

I guess my question was whether breaks do exist at all (I'm aware summer doesn't, but that's fine). I don't take a lot of time off, but if I'm moving across the country it would be nice to know if once or twice a year I could have 2-4 days off to visit my family. Do you think the average PI would see this as reasonable? I know that's an ill-posed question, but I don't have a gauge for "reasonable" as of yet.

I think it damn well should be. A PhD is long and you shouldn't have to put your life on hold to do one. Your experiments can wait if you take time off for Thanksgiving or your birthday or whatever. I think the thing to do is act like it's a job and don't take off more than a couple weeks a year.

I mean, between Christmas and New Year's my university is closed so the technicians will be away and so will the PI. I'm not coming in during that time because I don't want to be the only one around, I don't think it's safe to be alone in a lab.

Edited by Vene