Harvard DrPH

• 1 year later...

Hello! I was offered an interview for the Harvard DrPH program and I would like to do my best to prepare! Is there any guidance you can offer me? Would you be available to chat by email or outside of this forum? It would be much appreciated!!  Thank you.

2 hours ago, drph_phd_hopeful said:

Hello! I was offered an interview for the Harvard DrPH program and I would like to do my best to prepare! Is there any guidance you can offer me? Would you be available to chat by email or outside of this forum? It would be much appreciated!!  Thank you.

Congratulations on the interview! Would you feel comfortable sharing your stats, (GPA, scores, research/program interests, years of experience etc.) and any info included within the email (e.g. when the interviews are being conducted/how many applicants versus interview invites etc.)?

Based on posts from previous years, it looks like interviews last 20-30 minutes with the format being a casual conversation. Given that the program is so new, there does seem to be a lot of questions about the application process.

Case in point, I was informed by the admissions office that interviews are not a formal step and only conducted when "points of clarification" are needed. Historically, that does not seem to be the case. It definitely seems those interviewed are on the short list to being accepted so def. a good sign overall.

Edited by DrPH2016
Clarifying points

20 hours ago, drph_phd_hopeful said:

Hello... Congrats on the interview... I have also applied to the DrPH program.... How did they contact you regarding the interview? 

17 hours ago, DrPH2016 said:

Congratulations on the interview! Would you feel comfortable sharing your stats, (GPA, scores, research/program interests, years of experience etc.) and any info included within the email (e.g. when the interviews are being conducted/how many applicants versus interview invites etc.)?

Based on posts from previous years, it looks like interviews last 20-30 minutes with the format being a casual conversation. Given that the program is so new, there does seem to be a lot of questions about the application process.

Case in point, I was informed by the admissions office that interviews are not a formal step and only conducted when "points of clarification" are needed. Historically, that does not seem to be the case. It definitely seems those interviewed are on the short list to being accepted so def. a good sign overall.

So, if you do not receive an interview, you could still get accepted right?  Though those who get an interview are on the fast track to get an acceptance?

1 hour ago, CrimsonEyes said:

So, if you do not receive an interview, you could still get accepted right?  Though those who get an interview are on the fast track to get an acceptance?

I am not entirely sure at this point. To me it seems like only those interviewed get considered for acceptance but it could be that those who were accepted without one never posted about it. I have not received an interview invite either so let's keep our fingers crossed. :D

2 minutes ago, DrPH2016 said:

I am not entirely sure at this point. To me it seems like only those interviewed get considered for acceptance but it could be that those who were accepted without one never posted about it. I have not received an interview invite either so let's keep our fingers crossed. :D

Yes keeping all my fingers and toes crossed!!!! I was reading last years posts on a different post, and some ppl who had an interview were waitlisted. SO we shall see and some people had interviews well into mid feb. So we still have time!

I have not yet had the interview! Thanks for the well wishes! They notified me via email about the interview and it will take place via Skype. I have no idea if interviews are a required step toward admission...their email did not say much except that the purpose of the interview was to ask some follow-up questions to my application.   

Hey everyone, so as impatient as I am, I called admissions again and made it sound like I heard something different in terms of the timeline to get a better answer lol, and I said an applicant told me decisions would be out feb 15? is that true?... and the woman in admissions said decisions will be sent mid feb to mid march, so it is a possibility that some could hear in a little over a week and some could hear end of Feb and then Mid March. It just depends how far along they are on your app process. So just to let you all know!!!  Not sure if this is helpful.

@CrimsonEyes Thank you for the update! This info is definitely interesting given that the scheduled interviews have not taken place yet. In past years, there were also waves of interview requests reported. Its been quiet on that front since the first wave went out this year in the last week of Jan. All good info for future applicants to keep in mind. 

Wonder what (if anything) changed? Oh how I wish we could see what's behind the adcom veil. :ph34r:

@DrPH2016 Yea I hear yea! But they did said just because one gets an interview, doesn't mean they will be admitted, and just because you don't get an interview doesn't mean you won't. So we shall see!  And yes, I wish I could see being the adcom veil as well!!! Going a little crazy over here from this waiting, since I submitted mine Oct. 30th.... I seriously over this waiting lol

Hey guys,

They did mention to me that they intended to have interviews complete by February 7th and scheduled by the end of January.  They may be interviewing in groups/rounds though - I really have no idea. I did not know whether or not an interview was required for admissions, but it sounds like it isn't based on what was previously posted. Perhaps they just wanted to clarify something on my application.  @CrimsonEyes thanks for calling them up :-)  Also - they told me they will be making decisions this month. Let's keep our fingers and toes crossed!  Also - does anyone know how many people they are interviewing?

@txchef Thanks for posting anyways, and good luck to you as well! So did they ask you things specific to your application? Being told one thing from admissions and then hearing it from actual interviewees I find is way more helpful sometimes because you hear it from the committee. 

Just to add another datapoint here, I also had an interview with a professor last week. It was about half hour, fairly standard questions on fit, background, teamwork, successes, challenges faced. My understanding from my conversation with the professor/current students is that if you don't get an interview you won't have a chance for admission, and if you have an interview you can still be rejected or waitlisted, but it means you made the cut to the final round, so your chances are a bit higher. Good luck to everyone! 

On February 8, 2016 at 5:17 AM, dandadadan said:

Just to add another datapoint here, I also had an interview with a professor last week. It was about half hour, fairly standard questions on fit, background, teamwork, successes, challenges faced. My understanding from my conversation with the professor/current students is that if you don't get an interview you won't have a chance for admission, and if you have an interview you can still be rejected or waitlisted, but it means you made the cut to the final round, so your chances are a bit higher. Good luck to everyone! 

Any idea what the "final round" looks like? i.e. how many people were interviewed? They seem to be accepting a large cohort of 20-25 and I wonder what the chances are to make it from the "final round" to a "you're in!" :-P 

• 2 weeks later...