Attending a conference without registering...

Hi!

This week there's a conference in town at another university. While I registered for the conference (since I'll be presenting and I plan to attend a fair amount of talks), there are several students at my school that would like to go for a talk or two but will probably not do so because registration is $120 for students. 

That got me thinking - how bad is it for people to "crash" a talk or two at a conference? I definitely believe that in general people should register because I understand how costly it is to put together such an event, but on the other hand, it is a very expensive price to pay just to attend a couple of presentations. 

I once helped organize a conference at my old school, and the professor who was responsible for it said that if we saw any students crashing a few talks it was okay by her, but that if we noticed anyone attending crashing a lot of talks (e.g., more than one day of the conference), we should ask them to register.

What do you guys think? :)

PS. I've considered writing the organizers and asking if they would possibly consider offering a discounted price to students at the other local university, but figured that might be perceived as rude or as a request for unfair treatment (which it sort of is, indeed...)

Can you even crash a conference? Usually there is a registration table at the entrance, someone confirms you are registered and you get a name tag to pin on your shirt before you go inside. At least, this is how it was done at all of the conferences I've attended.

Perhaps volunteering is a good way to get access to some of the talks. Once your job has been completed, just walk into the conference area and catch the rest of the talks. Or you can inquire about paying a smaller fee to attend half of the day rather than a full day. The organizer might be receptive to that if you explain that it's for a small group of grad students in your lab.

Edited by jenste

If you're a student at the school where the conference is being held, things are normally pretty lenient. If you're at another local school and the conference organizers know you, it's also possible to get in without paying if you explain that you only want to attend a couple of talks. It gets complicated when people start asking for preferential treatment; you say that the conference already has a student price, and I don't think it's fair to give an additional discount to students from nearby. If anything, the ones from further away are spending more money to attend the conference, since they also need to pay for accommodations and transportation. I am on the organizing committee of a large conference right now and I can tell you that we would not mind it if someone from a nearby school attended a couple of talks, but we would not appreciate it if someone was there the entire time without paying. No one has asked for a special price but I imagine we'd only do it if there was a good reason to, not otherwise. There are enough things to worry about other than special prices for special people. If you do crash, I think it will make you look unprofessional to basically hang out at the conference venue for the duration of the conference but not have a name tag and not seem like you belong. Furthermore, coffee and refreshments (and often the room itself, even if it's at the university and not a hotel or conference center) cost money, and if you're going to be there for more than just a couple of talks, it's only fair that you pay your way. 

I am on the organizing committee of a large conference right now and I can tell you that we would not mind it if someone from a nearby school attended a couple of talks, but we would not appreciate it if someone was there the entire time without paying. No one has asked for a special price but I imagine we'd only do it if there was a good reason to, not otherwise. There are enough things to worry about other than special prices for special people. If you do crash, I think it will make you look unprofessional to basically hang out at the conference venue for the duration of the conference but not have a name tag and not seem like you belong. Furthermore, coffee and refreshments (and often the room itself, even if it's at the university and not a hotel or conference center) cost money, and if you're going to be there for more than just a couple of talks, it's only fair that you pay your way. 

Like I said, I do think it is only fair that people who attend pay to register - I specifically asked about crashing "a talk or two".

You say you wouldn't mind if someone from a nearby school attended a couple of talks - what do you think would be the best way to go about it? Emailing the organizers beforehand?

what do you think would be the best way to go about it? Emailing the organizers beforehand?

Do you know anyone on the organizing team? If so, you could email with an informal question. Otherwise, I think I'd just show up and play it by ear. If you can get into the room without being stopped by anyone, I'd do that. If not, stop by the registration desk and let them know you're only there for a couple of talks, ask to enter without paying. The people at the registration desk will most likely be students who won't care too much, so I am willing to bet that it'll work out fine.

I agree with everyone else, from the point of view of a student attending a conference at my own school as well as someone who helped organized conferences, if you are only wanting to step in quickly to see a small number of talks throughout the week, then don't worry about registration and organizers probably won't mind either. I would say that you should not participate in things that directly costs money though (e.g. coffee breaks, meals etc.).

I guess it's tough to decide what crosses the line between "a talk or two" and "should pay registration" though. I think one very rough rule of thumb might be that if you are attending more than say, 10% to 20% of the minimum registration cost, then you should probably register. So, if they have daily rates and you plan on attending more than a few hours, then I'd say you should register for the day. If they have weekly rates only, then I think you can get away with attending the equivalent of 0.5-1.0 days. 

Finally, I agree with fuzzy--just play it by ear. If there is a registration desk, definitely do the courteous thing and ask for permission.