MFA programs at State schools

Czarina

So here's the wikipedia list of state schools as a master.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_state_universities_in_the_United_States

Some motivated, generous, and service oriented person could pull the ones that have MFA programs adding comments about tuition, funding, the character of the program, and faculty etc. and make a database that was really useful. 

Yes, that is a great resource smartstrategy (thanks for re-posting :-)), but I think the OP was trying to address state schools' lower tuition, rather than just (or maybe as well as) funding.

Edited by beriredux

• 2 weeks later...

I applied to a whole bunch of schools last year, almost all of them state (both for funding and also for the presence of non-art departments). I only applied to schools that had the potential to be free or almost free. smartstrategy's link is a really good starting point. I'd also add

-SUNY Albany (not too expensive, no assistantships the first year, but potential for second).

-IUP (where I currently am - not too expensive, with good options for Graduate Assistantships which come with tuition waivers and small stipends)

-University of Indiana at Bloomington (Indiana is mentioned in the link, but wanted to differentiate Bloomington from Indianapolis)

-University of Illinois - Urbana-Champaign

I'd love to hear about some more too. The ones I've been researching which are fully funded are:

-GSU

-FSU

-UC Irvine

-U of Minnesota

-U of Oregon

-UCLA (I think)

I am in a similar situation where I really need to be funded in order to get an MFA... Many other schools I've researched will give selective full rides so if you really like the vibe of the faculty and school give it a try.

• 2 weeks later...

I applied to a whole bunch of schools last year, almost all of them state (both for funding and also for the presence of non-art departments). I only applied to schools that had the potential to be free or almost free. smartstrategy's link is a really good starting point. I'd also add

-SUNY Albany (not too expensive, no assistantships the first year, but potential for second).

-Indiana University of Pennsylvania (where I currently am - not too expensive, with good options for Graduate Assistantships which come with tuition waivers and small stipends)

-University of Indiana at Bloomington (Indiana is mentioned in the link, but wanted to differentiate Bloomington from Indianapolis)

-University of Illinois - Urbana-Champaign

Being a Boiler, I'd at least like to note that Indiana - Bloomington is commonly referred to as "IU", whereas Indianapolis is "IUPUI" - since it's an integrated branch campus for both Purdue and Indiana. No one who went to Indiana schools dares screw that up.

I don't think being in Indiana Township, PA counts as Indiana, though. I grew up in the Pittsburgh area, so I know IUP pretty well. I have a lot of friends there and at Clarion--I've heard good things about Cal U PA as well!

Being a Boiler, I'd at least like to note that Indiana - Bloomington is commonly referred to as "IU", whereas Indianapolis is "IUPUI" - since it's an integrated branch campus for both Purdue and Indiana. No one who went to Indiana schools dares screw that up.

I don't think being in Indiana Township, PA counts as Indiana, though. I grew up in the Pittsburgh area, so I know IUP pretty well. I have a lot of friends there and at Clarion--I've heard good things about Cal U PA as well!

I'm a bit confused by your post - I'm at Indiana University of Pennsylvania, which is in Indiana, Pennsylvania...I agree that it doesn't count as Indiana State. I also didn't use any acronyms (IU or IUPUI). Was any of the information I provided incorrect?

Also, I don't believe Clarion or Cal U have MFA programs, but I could be mistaken.

The University of Georgia, Lamar Dodd School of Art, offers a 3 year program with excellent funding.

Very strong art school within a large research university.

I am finishing the MFA program now.  If anyone has questions about the program, please let me know.

http://art.uga.edu/

http://art.uga.edu/areas-of-study/graduate-studies/

I'm a bit confused by your post - I'm at Indiana University of Pennsylvania, which is in Indiana, Pennsylvania...I agree that it doesn't count as Indiana State. I also didn't use any acronyms (IU or IUPUI). Was any of the information I provided incorrect?

Also, I don't believe Clarion or Cal U have MFA programs, but I could be mistaken.

It wasn't. I was sort of trying to make a joke. IUP is in PA, and IU/IUPUI are in Indiana. It's just funny to me.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/9/2014 at 5:37 PM, GCool said:

It wasn't. I was sort of trying to make a joke. IUP is in PA, and IU/IUPUI are in Indiana. It's just funny to me.

I agree with that - when I told one of my recommenders where I was applying, he laughed at me. And when we came to visit and drove past signs for Cal U, that was the icing on the cake.

I was also deciding between IUP and IU Bloomington, and when I was soliciting advice from friends and family, it got downright confusing. Referred to them as Bloomington and Pennsylvania. The joke that I make is that I chose IUP because I get twice the name recognition (for IU and UPenn).