Leaving Academia

ILikeWine

I am only in my first year of a Classics MA but have already decided this is certainly not for me(I did my undergrad in history) But because I am on scholarship and I enjoy it and the city I'm in I want to see it to the end. Having decided not to go on into academia, I don't know what else my Classics MA might help me get into once I'm done. I do not want to teach high school even though it is the obvious backup (which I think is a lame reason anyway). Museum work is another obvious choice but I don't consider it lucrative enough. 

What are some of the careers you see people switching into from Classics? Any advice?

To be honest, if you don't want to teach and you don't want to work in a museum and you don't want to work in academia, you are probably going to have to go into a career that is only very distantly related to your Classics MA at the end of it. if you like the university environment you could try to go into administration/university organization. Otherwise, you might just have to use your general research and writing skills working some sort of corporate job that an MA generally qualifies you for. 

Why did you decide to go for a MA in Classics?  What were you hoping to get out of it?

If you're on scholarship (full ride that is), why are you asking?  You're being given the opportunity to study something that you love for a few years without much cost.  The value of your MA for the job market shouldn't matter then.  

Choose a job that you can see yourself doing regardless of what your degrees are in.  It sounds to me that you're still not sure what you want to do that isn't related to history.  It'll take some time to find that niche in this world where job options are endless.  Do a few internships (you'll probably have to start off with unpaid to get some experience).

If your MA isn't entirely funded and you're placing the value of your MA in connection to jobs, you'd be best to walk away now.  It's not worth going into debt for MA unless it's something you're genuinely interested in and you don't mind spending a few years doing it (and years of paying off the loans).

If your MA isn't entirely funded and you're placing the value of your MA in connection to jobs, you'd be best to walk away now.  It's not worth going into debt for MA unless it's something you're genuinely interested in and you don't mind spending a few years doing it (and years of paying off the loans).

This might depend how long the MA is. Certain universities make students who quit liable for a full year's tuition - and if the MA is only a year long, it may just make sense to see it out. It also may be better to have finished the degree in order to explain away the resume gap you'll inevitably have after leaving; you can use the time while you're still in the program to search for jobs. Of course, some employers might be more sympathetic if you leave as soon as possible, but it's a risk either way.