How many schools to apply to?

gurumaster8899

What do you think is the ideal number of schools to apply to....

i understand one needs to apply to as many schools as possible to maximize his chances but whats the ideal number of applications one can send out...given that every application needs lots of work and consideration to complete

After researching i have 15 schools on my list...but i think its a bit too many...i was thinking of narrowing it down to around 8 schools...any advice?

thanks everyone..

It honestly depends on which programs you are applying to. If you are applying for a PhD, I know people who have applied for up to 20 schools. If you're applying for a Masters, some people have applied to only a few [i applied to 4], dependent upon fit and because as a Masters student you have the option of working for a few years and then re-applying since the programs are shorter.

A good rule of thumb that I have seen has been the 3-3-3 rule. 3 safety schools, 3 middle-tier schools and 3 reach schools.

If you let us know what degree you are applying for I am sure people will be able to better assist you. =)

I remember my undergrad advisor telling me the minimum should be 2-2-2 (identical in format to the 3-3-3 rule described above). I applied to 10 and i thnk i aimed too high because now after it's all over i'd say i did a 1-4-5 routine. too many reach schools. thankfully i got a fully funded offer to a middle school.

3-3-3 seems fine. or maybe 2-4-2. when picking 'safeties' just make sure you'd still be really excited about going there if that was your only choice.

Apply anywhere there's a good fit for your research, and it's in a place where you would be okay living.

I applied to 17 schools this year. I got into 5 (and never got anything back from 2). 5 out of 15 isn't too bad (got into 1 reach, 2 good fits, and 2 safeties).

A lot of it depends on if you are applying to Masters or PhD programs. Personally I applied to 3 Masters programs and got in at 2 and waitlisted (and later notified that I wasn't getting called off) at 1. Since Masters programs tend to be larger you don't need to apply to as many.

Win! FWIW, I think the number you apply to really depends on your discipline. As I've said before (here? elsewhere? can't remember!), people thought I was nuts for applying to 7 PhD programs because that was deemed entirely too many by most of them.