Penn GSE Fall 2015

tchrsquirrel

@higheredlife I got an email from the Grad Assistants for the program today saying admissions decisions would be sent the week of March 2 (suggesting March 3 as the likely date). Did you get it too?

Edited by ghchapin

@higheredlife I got an email from the Grad Assistants for the program today saying admissions decisions would be sent the week of March 2 (suggesting March 3 as the likely date). Did you get it too?

Yep I received this email too!

I wonder if this also applies to international applicants. I applied to the PHD in Ed policy and still haven't heard from them.

Also international student and phd in ed pol! I know the hope is quite tiny but hope good luck for both of us

Hey - I finally decided to apply several weeks ago and see that I have a fair amount of waiting ahead of me.  Applied to the Masters in Ed. Policy.  Any advice on staying sane, while I wait?   

I will be turning down my offer to M.S.Ed in ICC today. Just too expensive! Hope this $5000/year scholarship helps someone else. I wonder who's willing to spend nearly 100k for a masters program.. For areas where good jobs are guaranteed, maybe. 

I will be turning down my offer to M.S.Ed in ICC today. Just too expensive! Hope this $5000/year scholarship helps someone else. I wonder who's willing to spend nearly 100k for a masters program.. For areas where good jobs are guaranteed, maybe. 

Sorry to hear that, Counterpointer!  It is definitely an expensive program.  But you still have some other great options (and more to come, I'm sure)!

Also congrats @higheredlife! Do you think you'll go to preview days?

I will probably go. I will be coming back from NASPA right at that time so it may be close. I did not receive a merit scholarship. Dad probably makes to much to be considered, but not enough to help. huh

I will probably go. I will be coming back from NASPA right at that time so it may be close. I did not receive a merit scholarship. Dad probably makes to much to be considered, but not enough to help. huh

merit scholarships are need blind so your dad's income doesn't really matter. it affects the financial aid, but not merit scholarships

Congrats, yall! Were the mentioned preview days Higher Ed specific? I've yet to see that info available for other admitted students, so just curious! I would really like to check out the campus and meet some of the professors and students in my program (IEDP).

The program grad assistants sent a "save the date" email notification about higher-ed specific preview days last week, which are in late March. I don't have anything beyond dates yet, but they said they'd follow up with more information once admissions decisions were released. 

First off congrats to all Higher Ed acceptances!!!

Secondly is there anyone out there that knows about any of the other master's programs?

I am waiting to hear from the TLL  division.

Hi guys! I was just accepted to the Higher Ed program and am trying to decide between Penn and UVa. Penn is nearly triple the cost of UVa. I'm wondering if you all think the value (perception) of an Ivy education is worth the price tag. I'm not trying to start a debate, just an honest question. There will be so many more barriers to going to Penn, that I'm curious if it would be worth it just based on reputation. Secondly, I went to UVa as an undergrad and am wondering if getting my BA and M.Ed. from the same place will have an impliciations when I apply for a PhD program? This is such a hard decision for me, so any input will be helpful! Thank you and congratulations to everyone accepted!!

Congrats everyone!!! :)

Hi guys! I was just accepted to the Higher Ed program and am trying to decide between Penn and UVa. Penn is nearly triple the cost of UVa. I'm wondering if you all think the value (perception) of an Ivy education is worth the price tag. I'm not trying to start a debate, just an honest question. There will be so many more barriers to going to Penn, that I'm curious if it would be worth it just based on reputation. Secondly, I went to UVa as an undergrad and am wondering if getting my BA and M.Ed. from the same place will have an impliciations when I apply for a PhD program? This is such a hard decision for me, so any input will be helpful! Thank you and congratulations to everyone accepted!!

This is an interesting question.  Have you talked to any of your professors about it?  UVa also has a great reputation.

From my understanding, this wouldn't have implications on PhD admissions, although for faculty jobs it is oftentimes suggested doing PhD and undergrad at different schools. Coursework, grades, test scores, LORs, work/research experience, fit are significantly more important than master's degree institution, I would imagine.