SOPHAS 2014/2015

Kismet1992

Hey guys,

It's my first time on here. I just submitted my application through SOPHAS two days ago. Was wondering if anyone else on the forum has already submitted their application and has already had their application verified?? I was a little late with submitting mine, and deadlines are approaching and SOPHAS says it takes up to 4 weeks to verify US/Canadian coursework, but I'm an international student and that section doesn't apply to me. Does that mean it won't take up to 4 weeks for them to verify it?

Thanks!

Just got an email from SOPHAS confirming that my application has been verified! I guess this is due to the fact that my recommenders submitted their recommendations very early (before I e-submitted my application), and that there was no U.S. coursework to verify.

The e-mail stated that SOPHAS no longer MAILS applications to universities, it's all done online now, which I guess is much better.

Does anybody know whether or not universities themselves send confirmation e-mails that the application has been recieved?

Your app was verified in 2 days? You lucky duck. I submitted on November 1st and continue to wait. 

As far as confirmation emails, I would just email the graduate coordinator to double check that everything has been received if you don't get an email back in a week or so. 

Your app was verified in 2 days? You lucky duck. I submitted on November 1st and continue to wait. 

As far as confirmation emails, I would just email the graduate coordinator to double check that everything has been received if you don't get an email back in a week or so. 

Yeah I was pretty surprised that they'd done it so quickly! But it's only because the coursework section doesn't apply to students who are attending a non U.S. or Canadian university.

Good luck with your application! Hopefully SOPHAS will pull themselves together and get a move on. Their website is so vague, and the instructions are outdated and inconsistent with one another!

The good news for you is that once it's finally verified (which will hopefully be VERY soon!), you no longer have to wait for their policy of mailing out applications once a week. Once the application is verified it is immediately electronically sent and available to the universities you've applied to :)

I also e-submitted my SOPHAS on Nov 2 but the status says Complete/Not Verified;  but I already got a confirmation email from 2 of my schools that my applications have been completed and submitted. 

So has my SOPHAS application been verified? Anyone else encounter this problem? Thanks!

What does verified even mean? I'm freaking out that I'm not going to meet mid-December deadlines if I submit my app by the end of November!

Verified means that they've checked your coursework section and matched it up to your transcripts. It can take up to 6 weeks! But if you've studied at a non-US/Canadian school, it doesn't take as long.

My advice is submit your application as early as you possibly can to ensure that your application makes it to the designated universities on time. Good luck! :)

I also e-submitted my SOPHAS on Nov 2 but the status says Complete/Not Verified;  but I already got a confirmation email from 2 of my schools that my applications have been completed and submitted. 

So has my SOPHAS application been verified? Anyone else encounter this problem? Thanks!

That's really odd, maybe try calling SOPHAS customer service to ask them? I guess it could be a good sign that the schools have acknowledged your application, maybe it means you won't have to wait as long for your application to finally be verified

Thanks Kismet1992! 

I jumped the gun in asking the question. I just received a note from SOPHAS that my application has been verified (strange that it's a few days after the schools have emailed me), but alas everything is a go! Letting others know in case they encounter the same timeline mismatch. 

Wait... when would you guys recommend I submit my application if my deadline is Dec 1? I thought late November would be okay but now I'm worried!

Don't worry - I talked to two people I know who are in public health school now and that is when they submitted their apps. I feel a lot better about my timing now!

Wait... when would you guys recommend I submit my application if my deadline is Dec 1? I thought late November would be okay but now I'm worried!

You should be fine, SOPHAS doesn't mail in applications anymore, so the schools you're applying to will recieve it electronically as soon as it's verified, maybe even before that.

I think that since SOPHAS does electronic submits to the schools now, schools can actually access your application before it is officially "verified". Not all of the schools care about what the SOPHAS GPA is, as it is rarely the same as your actual GPA. 

Holy smokes!! My first apps are due December 1st but I haven't submitted mine yet because I need a little more time to tweak over things as well as finzalizing my personal statements. If it takes up to 4 weeks to verified then I am officially screwed...I saw some words of reassurance up there that late November is alright but doesn't that mean I'll be submitting my apps later than Dec 1st aka priority deadline?

Holy smokes!! My first apps are due December 1st but I haven't submitted mine yet because I need a little more time to tweak over things as well as finzalizing my personal statements. If it takes up to 4 weeks to verified then I am officially screwed...I saw some words of reassurance up there that late November is alright but doesn't that mean I'll be submitting my apps later than Dec 1st aka priority deadline?

As long as they are submitted to SOPHAS before Dec. 1st, they are considered in by the priority deadline. It's ok if they are not verified by then.