Fall 2015 Acceptances (!)

Wow, congratulation, everyone! A lot of schools that were obviously at the top of a lot of people's lists.

And, Andalus, UCLA misspelled my name in my acceptance email. Taking it as... a compliment... somehow...

Hypervodka, if that's your Emory acceptance up on the results board, huge congrats!! I remember seeing your post about how much fun you had at the visit. One of my favorite professors did his degree there and always talks about the years he spent there as the time of his life.

(Also, sorry to call you out if you didn't want to post about it, it's just really encouraging to see people's hard work pay off when they get into their perfect fit schools!)

Major congratulations to mehrlicht and andalus!  Both are fantastic programs from what I understand.  CUNY's got some really cool modernists -- even though I'm (sort of? these labels make me angsty sometimes) a "medievalist," I almost wanted to apply to CUNY just so I could maybe have the opportunity to meet Mary Ann Caws...

It seems some universities (or at least, their advertising branches or whatever) just love to take advantage of our angst during the application process to jam in as much spam and advertising as possible... not sure why... UChicago is guilty of this too.  Why feel need to do this to people who may not be getting accepted?  Seems kind of inconsiderate to me.  

Major congratulations to mehrlicht and andalus!  Both are fantastic programs from what I understand.  CUNY's got some really cool modernists -- even though I'm (sort of? these labels make me angsty sometimes) a "medievalist," I almost wanted to apply to CUNY just so I could maybe have the opportunity to meet Mary Ann Caws...

It seems some universities (or at least, their advertising branches or whatever) just love to take advantage of our angst during the application process to jam in as much spam and advertising as possible... not sure why... UChicago is guilty of this too.  Why feel need to do this to people who may not be getting accepted?  Seems kind of inconsiderate to me.

Yes, congrats to the new admits!! It's hard to keep track of you all because of classes, but it's nice to see happy news.

I completely agree about the unsolicited heart attacks that both cuny and Chicago have given me. It's pretty reprehensible in my opinion.

Ah! Hypervodka! Is it just me, or do I see a FIFTH acceptance in your sig line that you haven't announced on the thread yet?!?

Congratulations yet again! I'm totally flying down to Atlanta and stealing some of your brain cells. :P

Thanks! Scrape as many as you can find.

Hypervodka, if that's your Emory acceptance up on the results board, huge congrats!! I remember seeing your post about how much fun you had at the visit. One of my favorite professors did his degree there and always talks about the years he spent there as the time of his life.

(Also, sorry to call you out if you didn't want to post about it, it's just really encouraging to see people's hard work pay off when they get into their perfect fit schools!)

Sorry, yeah, I can never think of a non-awkward way to announce acceptances so I just... don't. Thank you very much!

Hey guys - this is my first post on GradCafe, as I figured it was time to stop lurking and join in. I'm one of the Brown admits; absolutely floored. 

Does anyone know if they usually do an admit weekend? I'm an international student and so this is all very muddy water for me. 

Empathy for all those in the red from Columbia, I'm there too. 

Edited by florentinoariza

Hypervodka you're so classy! Never feel weird posting your successes to the acceptances board! We're happy to hear of your success. :)

Welcome florentino, and congrats space_elf! There are several schools where I'd be thrilled to be wait listed!

Edit: I have 14 left to hear from. I thought for sure this would be a big week but still no word. So, yeah, it's maddening... Bridge jumping pact?

Edited by In hac spe vivo.

Yeah, you skyld definitely be spreading your acceptance you hypervodka :-) what amazing news!

Also congratulations to space_elf and florentinoariza!

And yes youngcharlie101, I think it's still too early to worry about not having heard from the majority of your schools we're still in early February and I know many, myself included, are still waiting to hear from quite a few unis

Edit: I have 14 left to hear from. I thought for sure this would be a big week but still no word. So, yeah, it's maddening... Bridge jumping pact?

Yes, I'm thinking this will be a big week too... Perhaps tomorrow!

I would gladly make a bridge-jumping pact with you, but the only bridges near me are about thirty feet high at best. Maiming distance, not misery-elimination distance. Ah well. In hac spe vivo, as they say. :P

Is anyone else in the same boat as me? I have yet to hear back from my remaining 6 schools. Is that a bad sign? If it is, I think I'll jump off the cliff NOW! :o

A lot of schools aren't going to release their results until later this month, or even March. One of my schools didn't start looking at applications until like two weeks ago, so they're obviously nowhere near done. Some schools have only just opened up for the semester/quarter. Some schools are still waiting to hear about funding. I know it's frustrating to hear nothing but radio silence at the moment, but it's nowhere close to being over.

Yes, I'm thinking this will be a big week too... Perhaps tomorrow!

I would gladly make a bridge-jumping pact with you, but the only bridges near me are about thirty feet high at best. Maiming distance, not misery-elimination distance. Ah well. In hac spe vivo, as they say. :P

HaHa! <3

Between Friday the 13th and Valentine's Day (not to mention that my biggest reach typically notifies tomorrow), I think a rejection thread will be in order sooner rather than later... Of course, we can always *hope* otherwise, but I'd really like to just know at this point, ya know?

Right about now the last time I applied I was in the all rejection boat. In some ways having an acceptance without funding info is almost worse. On top of the panic of getting rejected everywhere, I wont be able to go to the school that admitted me without funding! I think it's only maddening right now because my department is finalizing teaching schedules and I can't commit. If I don't get in anywhere and only get rejections I may also not have a job to fall back on depending on how long notifications take! Sigh... Complaining over...

HaHa! <3

Between Friday the 13th and Valentine's Day (not to mention that my biggest reach typically notifies tomorrow), I think a rejection thread will be in order sooner rather than later... Of course, we can always *hope* otherwise, but I'd really like to just know at this point, ya know?

Right about now the last time I applied I was in the all rejection boat. In some ways having an acceptance without funding info is almost worse. On top of the panic of getting rejected everywhere, I wont be able to go to the school that admitted me without funding! I think it's only maddening right now because my department is finalizing teaching schedules and I can't commit. If I don't get in anywhere and only get rejections I may also not have a job to fall back on depending on how long notifications take! Sigh... Complaining over...

:/ It might be worth contacting the DGS, explaining your situation, and asking if they can, if not give you a figure, tell you where you are in the funding pile so that you can plan accordingly. 

Yes, a rejection thread might not be a bad idea. I suspect that the only reason one hasn't been made yet is that the thread will invariably become associated with your name. The same reason why we all think Hreathemus is so amazing, of course. 

(Nah, the truth is that she simply is!)

Hypervodka you're so classy! Never feel weird posting your successes to the acceptances board! We're happy to hear of your success. :)

Welcome florentino, and congrats space_elf! There are several schools where I'd be thrilled to be wait listed!

Let's do this! We are INVINCIBLE! :D

Well, ask and you shall receive... I just got an acceptance to Georgia State! Unfortunately, no word on funding and it's not guaranteed, but hopefully they'll send a personalized email tomorrow with that info (it was an email to check the website with a standard letter from the dean). Oddly, randomly checked the website an hour ago and there was no update then.

I'm on a mobile device now, but I will make that rejection thread tomorrow, nameassociations be damned! (or I can always change my user name ;))

Thanks for the advice on funding, echo. I was going to pose the question to the group toward the end of the week. They said they very much hope to offer me a TAship and that they'd let me know ASAP, probably in a few weeks. Of course that was back on January 20th. I figured it wouldn't hurt anything to ask if they had an idea of when they'd know given that admitted student weekend is at the end of the month. They're paying for the hotel, which is awesome, but I'd hate to spend the money on the flight only (and miss class) only to find out I can't attend because there's no funding.

I am one of the LSU acceptances! This was my top choice school, as a Louisiana native focusing in Southern Studies! I am absolutely ecstatic, especially after being completely shut out 2 years ago when I applied straight out of undergrad. I took one of the "consultation" partially funded M.A. offers from one of the schools I was rejected from, and spent the last two years focusing and getting ready for round 2. But I was still broken-hearted after what felt like my previous failure. I only applied to 3 schools, and thought that I would get shut out again, and resigned myself to joining an alternative certification program as a back up. Still, I worked hard on my writing sample and personal statement, deciding to not retake the GRE even though my scores were lower than many on this site. I felt conflicted: I thought I was destined for failure but felt I had the talent and desire to succeed.

So imagine my surprise when I received this news!  I am giddy that my hard work paid off; I have been accepted into my dream school, fully funded with stipend!

I just wanted to say to those of you who might not be getting the news that you want to hear; maybe you're thinking of giving up, and maybe that is the right move for you. But I am an example of someone who felt that way, and chose to try again, with great results. 

I hope you all spend this weekend with the ones you love. I'll be spending it celebrating Mardi Gras with my family!

Laissez les bon temps rouler and Geaux Tigers!

I am one of the LSU acceptances! This was my top choice school, as a Louisiana native focusing in Southern Studies! I am absolutely ecstatic, especially after being completely shut out 2 years ago when I applied straight out of undergrad. I took one of the "consultation" partially funded M.A. offers from one of the schools I was rejected from, and spent the last two years focusing and getting ready for round 2. But I was still broken-hearted after what felt like my previous failure. I only applied to 3 schools, and thought that I would get shut out again, and resigned myself to joining an alternative certification program as a back up. Still, I worked hard on my writing sample and personal statement, deciding to not retake the GRE even though my scores were lower than many on this site. I felt conflicted: I thought I was destined for failure but felt I had the talent and desire to succeed.

So imagine my surprise when I received this news!  I am giddy that my hard work paid off; I have been accepted into my dream school, fully funded with stipend!

I just wanted to say to those of you who might not be getting the news that you want to hear; maybe you're thinking of giving up, and maybe that is the right move for you. But I am an example of someone who felt that way, and chose to try again, with great results. 

I hope you all spend this weekend with the ones you love. I'll be spending it celebrating Mardi Gras with my family!

Laissez les bon temps rouler and Geaux Tigers!

Congrats :) So happy to hear your plans and hard work paid off!