Fall 2015 Acceptances (!)

Thanks!

Absolutely no apologies are necessary--Proflorax is (but then again, isn't she always?) right about different threads helping to keep people's very real joy from complicating other people's very real sadness and vice versa, but I certainly didn't feel derailed. No worries!

This is so wonderful! Please forgive me, I didn't hear what school you got accepted to. Where are you going and what will you be studying? 

This is so wonderful! Please forgive me, I didn't hear what school you got accepted to. Where are you going and what will you be studying? 

Lycidas got into Tufts, and hreaðemus (the board's other Anglo-Saxonist) and I got into Yale. I have no idea where I'll be going yet, but I'm interested in studying issues of sexuality and gender in OE lit.

Was it Judith Haber? She's cool and funny.

It was in fact Judith Haber, and she was extremely charming and funny throughout the call. I read her work way back when I first got interested in early modern studies, so talking to her on the phone was a bit surreal, but very fun

Sounds so wonderful. Congratulations, everybody! And now, you must take a well-deserved, 14-hour nap. :D

Mad, suffocating hugs for hreaðemus and unræd!!!! Y'all are *ridiculous* underachievers.

Aw, thanks you guys! I dunno how it happened, but I'm feeling pretty lucky at the moment - for good friends AND great options! 

It was for English - I specifically mentioned Roberta Frank and Jessica Brantley, I think. :)

Out of nothing but sheer curiosity, I just checked--Yale's was one of the SOPs where I mentioned no one by name (although Roberta Frank was used heavily in my sample). I did mention strengths of the school that could presumably be tied to specific faculty (and since I'm in OE, that's a pretty small pool), but there was no extended "discuss a POI's research, and connect it to my own" paragraph like in some of my other statements.

I think this is very interesting in terms of data points for applicants next year! (And so maybe this doesn't belong here, but on the "What we learned" thread?) Hreaðemus and I present a pretty solid test case--similar grades, scores, in the same subfield, and with somewhat similar linguistic emphases/approaches--for the argument that you can make a strong case for admission to programs both by mentioning specific faculty, and by being more general.

Edited by unræd

Thanks everyone for all the kind thoughts, and huge congratulations to all the Yale admits! Unræd and Hreaðemus, you're going to have some tough decisions to make over the next couple of months! (although that's a great problem to have, of course)

Well, I suppose this is in the realm of "good news." While I didn't get accepted to UMD's Ph.D. program, I was offered acceptance to their M.A. program. So that's something, I suppose. It might be unfunded, or might be partially funded. The one reason why it's a true consideration for me is because it's fairly local -- my wife works in D.C., and we were going to be moving this year no matter what. Moving from the Virginia side of D.C. to the Maryland side is not a big deal, overall.

Had it been an M.A. offer from any of my other programs, it would be small consolation...but this might actually be worth considering.

If nothing else, I feel a little better about things overall. I was starting to fear that there was something profoundly undesirable about my applications in general...so to make the top 15% or so of applicants to UMD is at least partially relieving...

(Oh, and there's also the intangible Proflorax factor!)

Hmm...

Omgomgomgomg! I'm still crossing my fingers for your remaining applications, WT, but I am so excited about the possibility of you attending UMD! Let me know if you have any questions. Ralph, our DGS, has done really well at finding funding for our MA students through GA and TAships!

Wyatt, really hoping it becomes (or is?) a funded MA. That would be a great opportunity... and I can't speak highly enough about my funded MA experience, which I just about wrapping up.

Congrats, Hesse and WT! In 2013, I didn't get *any* offers--including "consolation" MAs for the schools that offered them. That is a big deal, especially at such a fantastic program as UMD.

On a selfish note, I'm hoping these MA decisions mean I'll hear something soon.

Thanks folks. It's making me feel better about things overall.

Wyatt, really hoping it becomes (or is?) a funded MA. That would be a great opportunity... and I can't speak highly enough about my funded MA experience, which I just about wrapping up.

Yes, it sounds like there are some significant opportunities for at least partial funding, if not full funding. Given that my plan B was to enroll in an unfunded in-state M.A. program of lesser stature (but lower tuition), this is probably a step up in that regard. So it's definitely a consideration! The only reason I don't sound more enthusiastic is because of the hope for Ph.D. admittance. When the chips are down, however, if I don't wind up getting in anywhere for a Ph.D., I'll probably look upon this opportunity as a veritable life preserver.

Edited by Wyatt's Torch

Thanks folks. It's making me feel better about things overall.

Yes, it sounds like there are some significant opportunities for at least partial funding, if not full funding. Given that my plan B was to enroll in an unfunded in-state M.A. program of lesser stature (but lower tuition), this is probably a step up in that regard. So it's definitely a consideration! The only reason I don't sound more enthusiastic is because of the hope for Ph.D. admittance. When the chips are down, however, if I don't wind up getting in anywhere for a Ph.D., I'll probably look upon this opportunity as a veritable life preserver.

Congratulations! I also got the offer, and as I have one waitlist, several rejections, and no acceptance so far, I am considering the possibility. Hope you (and I) make wise decisions, and hope more good news will come!

Congratulations to all the amazing admits! It's been an insane 24 hours, and I feel mimosas are in order. 

WT, that's amazing news! I'm so happy for you! Here's to hoping everything works out in your favor!

Wyatt,

Not to get your hopes up too high, but I wanted to relay two bits of info--

1- During my application season (2011), I know that there was at least one person who was initially offered the MA at UMD and had that offer upgraded to PhD late in the season.  He didn't accept (he had already accepted another offer), but I know that it happened at least once.

2-  A friend of mine did a MLS at UMD a few years ago, and she said that there were SO many university-based assistantships available.  She worked in the technology department part time, and it paid her tuition along with a small wage.  From what she said, those kinds of opportunities are plentiful at Maryland. 

On an unrelated side note--I saw that the U of Rochester acceptances have gone out.  If anyone has any questions, let me know! 

Edited by Tybalt