Fall 2015 Acceptances (!)

Congratulations, Caroline!

Just a reminder that Florida tends to spread their calls out over a few days. And we're on spring break right now, so they might be extra slow.

Congrats on the new acceptances! And I thank thepriorwalter for this reminder -- it definitely helps tame the butterflies.

Congratulations, Caroline!

Just a reminder that Florida tends to spread their calls out over a few days. And we're on spring break right now, so they might be extra slow.

Thanks for this!

And congratulations again, Caroline and doc1!

The amount of acceptances you have is.... a lot. *slow claps*

I probably shouldn't have applied to so many places, waste of money, but I really had no idea whether or not I'd get in anywhere. I feel like my professors have not given me any kind of indication of whether or not they think my work is any good. 

Accepted to University of Oregon's MA/PhD program! :) Got the phone call today. Unexpected. Anyone else thinking about Oregon?!

Same here! Not sure if I'm going to accept the offer, but I was super excited to get that voicemail. I admit I'm curious about why the status of my application is still "pending" online, but I'm not going to worry about that too much. 

I probably shouldn't have applied to so many places, waste of money, but I really had no idea whether or not I'd get in anywhere. I feel like my professors have not given me any kind of indication of whether or not they think my work is any good. 

I don't think there's such a thing as over-applying as long as you can scrape together the funds. Time and again I've seen people accepted from only one or two higher ranking programs and rejected in programs outside of the top 50. Really, you can never tell.

That being said, candidates such as yourself with tons of really strong options are clearly doing something very right! However, I am the last person to guess what that is, as I get the feeling something is profoundly lacking in my application given the relatively luckwarm response I've received after a second MA. Anyway, great work, and best of luck with your decision!  (And, once again, a profound thanks for the quick decisionmaking on programs you ruled out!)

I feel similarly. My only peer / friend who had applied to English PhDs had a super rough application season right out of our M.A., only got into one place off the waitlist. And she was smarter than me, so I kinda assumed I'd get shutout this season. My profs told me to apply to a good number of less competitive programs.

I have a question, people. 

I have gotten myself in over my head, like way over my head in this graduate level political science class I'm taking as the last course for a grad certificate in Women's Studies. I really want to drop it, like so so very badly. But if I did, I wouldn't get my certificate. 

Would PhD programs rescind their offers if I didn't have this certificate in Women's Studies to go along with my MA in lit? 

I have gotten myself in over my head, like way over my head in this graduate level political science class I'm taking as the last course for a grad certificate in Women's Studies. I really want to drop it, like so so very badly. But if I did, I wouldn't get my certificate. 

Would PhD programs rescind their offers if I didn't have this certificate in Women's Studies to go along with my MA in lit? 

I would talk to the specific programs about it. I remember during senior year my friend was accepted to Cornell's PhD program for Environmental Science before having to withdraw from a Statistical Chemistry (?) course. She emailed her POI about it and he basically said "it's fine, you can just take that class here, you're still just as qualified." Now there wasn't a certification on the line then but I'm sure many programs (if not all) would be understanding about those circumstances. Your best bet would be talking to them about it directly.

I couldn't imagine they'd rescind unless you really played up the certificate in your app (I'm guessing it was listed as anticipated, like your degree would be, on your CV). Most programs have WS certs, so it seems like you could just get it as part of your PhD. Honestly, I don't think it would hurt to ask your top choice if they have a problem with you not getting the cert.

Caroline: as long as your programs already have your official transcript, there's almost certainly no reason for them to find out you've dropped a course until you're already there. Once you sign the papers, you're fine.

(More generally, I doubt they'd want to rescind the offer anyway, but I still wouldn't tell them, if I were you.)

This topic doesn't have much concrete info: 

However, I agree with their assessments. You promised your graduate programs an MA, and that's what you'll earn. Chances are, the graduate program coordinator is only going to glance at your final transcripts to make sure you graduated--s/he is not going to know that you decided not to pursue the certificate. Do you think you would cause problems with your offers if you asked the DGS directly? 

I cannot think a department would be anything other than understanding. 

Caroline: as long as your programs already have your official transcript, there's almost certainly no reason for them to find out you've dropped a course until you're already there. Once you sign the papers, you're fine.

(More generally, I doubt they'd want to rescind the offer anyway, but I still wouldn't tell them, if I were you.)

What I've been told from professors and what I've read as personal anecdote on here--schools will not begrudge you changes in your application like this so long as you are honest with them. I would definitely recommend you mention it to them, whether you just get a POI's opinion or the DGS. I'm sure it won't change your status, CarolineKS, but I think it's still worth being honest.

Caroline: Personally, I would just ask the DGS if you could just do the cert there (maybe phrasing it as transfering the credits from your current program toward a WS cert). Honestly, I don't imagine anyine rescinding, especially just for asking. 

FYI people, I just spoke with Leah Rosenberg from Florida and she says they're admitting 18 people total. I don't know how many of their MA students are going to stick around, but that seemed like good news to me. Also, that's not counting MFA (they're admitting 12 to that, separate from the 18)

Also, thanks to everyone who responded to my certificate issue. Leah Rosenberg at least said they didn't care. :) 

Thanks for sharing, Caroline! I saw the second UF acceptance posted and worried about class size, so that is some solace for now at least.

ETA: And great news about the WS cert!

Edited by InHacSpeVivo

Accepted to U of Tennessee MA! Probably turning it down. Either way still cool! :) Hope others are hearing good news all around????!

Congratulations! Just wondering-did you get an email from a POI or DGS, or a form email? Thanks!