2 F's in same class with Academic dishonesty. Any chance in grad school?

nllopezn0

Stupid mistake. I'm in physical therapy major in my 3rd year in undergrad. Last spring I took a humanities class online and the teacher failed me for plagiarizing on an essay. I tried talking to him because I sent the wrong essay( same topic but info to gather info about topic) but he still failed me. I could have gotten a 3.5GPA but got 2.9. I made a dumb mistake and took the class over because I thought the F would go away if I got a better grade. My friend helped me write the 1st essay and she plagiarized apparently so he failed me again and is going to do an Academic dishonesty for my grade saying that I plagiarized twice for the same class: so an F and X(academic misconduct). So I get another F with an academic dishonesty. I know my GPA is going to drop but I'll try to bring it up too a 3.3 at least the next year as I get A's and B's. My main question is that can I get into Graduate school with this problem. I really want to go to PT school but this is going to effect it.

Regardless of the details the charge of academic dishonesty is functionally a kiss of death. Your GPA can be potentially be excused, I can't really say the same thing about the dishonesty.

Academic dishonesty is a major flag and I think this will severely impact your prospects at graduate education. I think the best way for you to get into a graduate program is to first take responsibility for your actions. Then, you should try to learn from what happened and demonstrate that you have learned from this experience in your graduate school applications. I think this is the one way that a graduate school might give you another chance despite your past academic misconduct (and I don't know how many schools would consider this).

My friend helped me write the 1st essay and she plagiarized apparently so he failed me again and is going to do an Academic dishonesty for my grade saying that I plagiarized twice for the same class: so an F and X(academic misconduct).

Your friend writing your essay is another kind of academic misconduct. So, you really were academically dishonest three times, but only see two times. That's an issue. Graduate school probably isn't for you.

Ok, so you made a mistake. I'm not a grad school admissions expert, but I have an idea. I don't know much about PT but if PT's have an equivalent of a medical assistant, or some other kind of "tech" position you can get working at a PT place, you could work for a year or two. That would give you distance from the academic misconduct and experience in the field, and you can explain how you learned your lesson in your interviews and apps. It is hard to imagine that academic dishonesty in undergrad would ruin your entire future. Good luck!

Ok, so you made a mistake. I'm not a grad school admissions expert, but I have an idea. I don't know much about PT but if PT's have an equivalent of a medical assistant, or some other kind of "tech" position you can get working at a PT place, you could work for a year or two. That would give you distance from the academic misconduct and experience in the field, and you can explain how you learned your lesson in your interviews and apps. It is hard to imagine that academic dishonesty in undergrad would ruin your entire future. Good luck!

I don't know, flagrant and repeated misconduct seems quite damning to me, particularly if OP is trying to get into a research field. Field work, moreover, doesn't really demonstrate lessons learned so much as 'job gotten.' 

That academic dishonesty is going to be a major red flag on any grad school application. If you needed to plagiarize a paper twice for the same online class, then you need to decide whether grad school is even something you can handle. Sure, the first offense may have been a true accident, but the second was blatant plagiarism. 

I agree some distance from this incident would be good for the OP. I think this is good advice, in the sense that it will definitely lessen the impact of the academic dishonesty. When I wrote the above, I didn't think about the possibility of working for 2-5 years before going back to grad school.

As for the second part (academic dishonesty in undergrad ruining your entire future), I would say that the OP's future is not "ruined" at all. I think one academically dishonest mistake could be forgiven with some time in between undergrad and grad school, but this is two instances in the same class in two different years. But having no chance of getting into grad school doesn't "ruin" your life--there are a ton of other possibilities that the OP can follow. Research/academia cannot afford to have academically dishonest researchers since we would quickly lose all public trust and support.

Since either of those instances would have gotten you kicked out of a graduate program, most graduate programs are likely to consider you too great of a risk to admit. 

Additionally, as other posters mentioned, you don't seem to really take the misconduct seriously- your first attempt may have been a mistake (and a good learning opportunity as to why you cite even in your notes), but the second attempt you intentionally got someone to write your essay for you, which was intentional academic misconduct. 

I would think some graduate programs might overlook one instance of misconduct, especially early in an undergraduate program if the individual shows they've grown sufficiently, but I would be very surprised if any reputable program would ignore two instances in the same class- it appears as a pattern or trend rather than an isolated instance.