IHEID Masters, 2015

crdubocq

Great insights Grad88 and IndianLawyer! You both seem to have a great grasp of the realities in the applications process. With your experience, I think you will make it into IHEID.

On the other hand, I do not want to be a wishful thinker, so will probably wait till next year to apply. By then, I'd probably have obtained stronger GRE scores to make up for my lacklustre undergrad grades.

I'm really grateful to you guys.

Cheers!

Hi All,

I have applied for the MDev program. It was a choice between that and MIA. Just checked my application and saw that is has been changed to under consideration.

Best of luck to all!

Hello hifriends! Which programme did you apply do at IHEID? And what courses are you applying to at the other schools? And what is your number one choice? So many questions.. :) Good luck to you too!

What sort of info? I applied to the Int'l Relations program at Oxford/Cambridge but I'm not sure what I can say. You should check The Student Room for more info as it looks like people are already getting offers for Cambridge.

I was just looking through my IHEID application and noticed a typo in my resume.. I wrote (Representation Clients) instead of (Representing Clients).. could this alone prove to be a sinker for me??? 

Contact them, they might be able to do something about it. Posting here won't help.

Don't worry IndianLawyer, I really don't think that will matter! I would say emailing them will just draw attention to it, when they might just overlook it.. :)

Anyone else turning mighty unproductive in anticipation of the results?? 

tell me about it, I just finish this semester so that one less distraction!

As the days countdown the more anxious I get :S

Ive applied to Sciences Po as well apart from IHEID. Just received a positive response from them so thats a relief! =).

Am waiting for IHEID now and I am being extremely unproductive! =/

Ive applied to Sciences Po as well apart from IHEID. Just received a positive response from them so thats a relief! =).

Hey PBK.. congrats on Sciences Po...Im sure IHEID would turn out positive as well.. Just out of curiosity though, who would win the Sciences Po v. IHEID battle for you ?? 

PBK, what are you applying for? And when did you send in your application for Sciences Po? I'm also applying there! Congratulations on getting in! Good luck to everyone expecting results in the next few days! :)

Im looking into Leiden, Lund and maybe Utrecht, but it can be challenging cause Im aiming for an International Law programme, and most european unis request a BA in Law. I come from Puerto Rico where we have an american education system and we dont do BA's in Law, they just dont exist lol... I'm doing my BA in International Relations.

So I have to see what programmes permit students with related degrees...

Congratulations PBK! I am applying to Sciences Po and  IHEID  as well in the area International Developments and to Copenhagen Business School for Business and Development Studies. Any tips for my Motivation letter? How much time did SP take to give you a response to your application? Good luck with IHEID!!! 

Hi all! Thanks so much!

@IndianLawywer: I am not sure actually. I would love to be a part of IHEID. In terms of its location and also the courseload is sufficient. SciencesPo is very intense as I would end up taking 7-8 courses every semester. So as of now I am leaning towards IHEID but if I dont get in then I am extremely happy with SP also. =)

@Figgamonda: I sent in my application before the Eiffel Scholarship deadline which was around the 13th of November. Got my 'admissible' mail on the 28th and got my admit mail on the 11th of Dec. Though when I asked in the first week of Dec I was told I would receive it on the 18th (same as IHEID). I have applied for the MID program there! Which one are you applying to? Best of luck to you!!

@Tangaroa: Best of luck to you too!! I have applied to the same course as well. I was looking at Copanahgen as well. Am still to make a decision on that. SP gave me a response in 14 days to inform that my application is admissible. and took another 2 weeks after to tell me my final decison.

As for the Motivation Letter I was pretty traditional. I started off with why my familial background exposed me to dev issues. and how that helped me choose my academic life. I went on to say how my studies exposed me to the theory aspects of dev and all. (My major is Econ and minor is Dev Studies). Then i spoke about how apart from theory I was keener on seeing and working with development issues on the ground so I spoke about the relevant work I did. I followed it up with how all this naturally made me look at SP cause of their course. Spoke a bit on their course and how awesome it is. Ended with what I want to do with the degree if I get in.

If i may say so. the trick is to show that you are a rough diamond. you have all the properties they are looking for either in your work on in your passion and by the end of their course you will be a cut diamond. If you pitch your letter like that it sounds better.

If you need any help let me know! Happy to help =)

I love the image of the rough diamond, great advice! :) Congrats on Sciences Po and good luck to everyone this week! Hopefully we know by the weekend and can relax.. :)

Hey GaryMak, I haven't received an update yet. I had asked IHEID and was told we'd know by the 19th. What did you apply for?

Hey Grad888 when did you ask the Institute ?

Hey GaryMak, I haven't received an update yet. I had asked IHEID and was told we'd know by the 19th. What did you apply for?

I have applied Master of Development Studies ! 

Will they send an email notification or we check through follow-up, no matter refused, admitted, or delayed???

I had asked them a week or two ago and one woman said notifications would be released on the 18th and another one said we should have the results by the 19th. And as far as I know, the online system will be updated and we'll receive an email as well.

GaryMak, I hope you will be accepted, good luck!

I had asked them a week or two ago and one woman said notifications would be released on the 18th and another one said we should have the results by the 19th. And as far as I know, the online system will be updated and we'll receive an email as well.

GaryMak, I hope you will be accepted, good luck!

No hope for it! Haha!

Did you apply to other schools? I have applied to LSE, waiting for the notification same as IHEID

Edited by GaryMak

Are you from the UK GaryMak? I haven't applied to any other schools so far, but if there's no decision this week (i.e. if they put off the decision until March), I will apply for the Msc Conflict Studies at LSE and the Msc African Studies at Oxford. Would you prefer LSE or IHEID? I had applied to both schools before and got accepted but unfortunately they were both too expensive for me without a scholarship - so I spent some time saving money.. :) I ended up deciding that I'd prefer IHEID, both because of its location (Geneva!) and because the programme seems to be so career-focused and they seem keen to help you find employment afterwards; at least more than LSE.. Having said that, LSE has a fantastic international reputation and London would be a great city to live in!

Edited by Grad888