IHEID Masters, 2015

crdubocq

I was accepted to the MDev today. I´m still finishing off my undergrad, so I think its important to highlight that they want people with a variety of backgrounds. My grades were alright (but definitely nothing special). However, I made my personal statement very simple and clear, telling them exactly why I want to study Development at the Institute. They are also looking to see potential in people. Those are just some of my thoughts.

Congratulations!!! I am sure you will find financing and would not lose that chance!!!!!! Would you mind if I ask you about your background work experience and GPA? I just want to figure out the reasons of the rejection of my application. 

I will look for some scholarship sites I was sent by my friends and would share with you! 

Best of luck 

Hey JeSuis_Mascha, would you be able to put this information on here? That would be super great!! :)

Hi guys! I was also admitted to IHEID, with no funding. I'm having a really hard time choosing between NPSIA (which would put me in less debt, and is "safer" for securing a job in Canada)... My heart is leaning towards Geneva - but I'm just wondering what you guys think about the risk vs. reward on a realistic scale. I'd come out with probably 60k in debt because of the living expenses in Geneva, though I am hoping to offset those with internships/ a scholarship in my second year. Please help!

Hi Sandcattt, I have the exact same issue, I got into NPSIA last week and the Graduate Institute yesterday. My heart is also leaning towards Geneva, because honestly, 2 years in Ottawa < 2 years in Geneva  also you could always go back and do a PhD afterwards at NPSIA if you decide you want to be based in Canada. Still I'm torn because friends of mine LOVE NPSIA and almost everyone in the federal government is a NPSIAn....

In the fall I skyped with someone from Canada who went to The Graduate Institute about 5 years ago. She now works for the Green Growth Knowledge Platform in Washington DC, which was founded by the WB, OECD and UNEP. Her advice was this: if you want to live in Canada afterwards NPSIA could be better because it better known, but if you want to work in the rest of the world, go to Geneva. She said she has no regrets going, but she also doesn't know if her future will bring her back to Canada (however she did qualify that by saying if you work hard you can find a job anywhere, whichever school you choose to attend). Really I think you have to decide how big your dreams are, are they just to be in the federal government or are they something bigger??

I'm not sure if that helps, buts its more to think about! Maybe I'll either see you in Ottawa or in Geneva in the Fall! Best of Luck!

Thanks PousPous! Please keep in touch and let me know what you decide :) We can also chat more elsewhere if you're interested. PM me and I'll give you my facebook name!

Hello everybody! I got accepted for the Master on International Law, but I was denied any Scholarship.

I have been trying to get other scholarships and it's getting. They don't understand that I have to quit my job. 

I have little options, so I decided to launch a fundraiser for this.

If anyone could me help me, even by sharing it, I would be forever thankful. And I may also send Swiss Chocolates!

https://www.youcaring.com/tuition-fundraiser/help-a-student-get-to-geneva/325442

Edited by Sarliman

• 2 weeks later...

Very disappointing news, as I really wanted to study here. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I really don't understand the decision or I need opinions. I'm 28 from the so called "global south" middle class family. At 17, I got a scholarship to study in Canada. Then in the US, I went to university. I have worked/lived in 5 different countries in the Americas, worked in conflict zones, have working experience with the UN system in NY, bilingual English-Spanish, I have publications that were even praised by a former UN rapporteur and several professors in US and UK universities. If the want PhDs or people with 7+ years of experience, then they should say it. Otherwise I don't know what you need to be in order to get an education here.

I think one should be either very very experienced (overqualified) or just graduated from university ;)

• 6 months later...

Hello everybody,

I am currently working on my application for the my MA in IR for the fall of 2016, and I just had a couple of questions about the process. How competitive is IHEID? I am 21 years old currently studying in the USA. I will be graduating with a bachelors is Political Science: International Relations in May and originally wanted to apply for Masters in International Law, but after speaking with the school, I was informed that I might not even get accepted given that I have no experience in that field at all. 

What are my chances of getting accepted into the IR program? My grades are good (average of B), I speak 4 languages and have lived in several countries given that my dad was a missionary. I am also a European citizen who gets funding from my government, which means that I wont be needing a scholarship. I am working on my personal essay now, but I just wanted some feedback from the people who got accepted on what it took to get accepted.