IHEID Masters, 2015

crdubocq

Are you from the UK GaryMak? I haven't applied to any other schools so far, but if there's no decision this week (i.e. if they put off the decision until March), I will apply for the Msc Conflict Studies at LSE and the Msc African Studies at Oxford. Would you prefer LSE or IHEID? I had applied to both schools before and got accepted but unfortunately they were both too expensive for me without a scholarship - so I spent some time saving money.. :) I ended up deciding that I'd prefer IHEID, both because of its location (Geneva!) and because the programme seems to be so career-focused and they seem keen to help you find employment afterwards; at least more than LSE.. Having said that, LSE has a fantastic international reputation and London would be a great city to live in!

I am from Hong Kong!

I try to diversify my choice, but of course I prefer IHEID because of its career oriented in IOs. Being enrolled into IHEID has higher chance of being hired by IOs. 

Budget is my big concern and constraint. If no scholarship is offered, I will work for several years and accumulate experience before re applying.

Thanks Policykid! God, those last few days are nerve racking.. Does anyone know what last year's stats were on acceptances/rejections? Especially for the first round?

I am at the university of Manchester,uk. 

My academic performance has been pretty good so far.

I have gotten letters of commendation from the head of department in the first and second years for being the highest performing student in my year.

I am at the university of Manchester,uk. 

My academic performance has been pretty good so far.

I have gotten letters of commendation from the head of department in the first and second years for being the highest performing student in my year.

That's cool. You are the suitable candidate.

I guess my not so reputable school is the main reason 

Postponed to second round... not so optimistic

what does postponement mean?? equal to waiting list ??

What does it say under "status of application"? Because when I got the email and checked it still said "under consideration", which leaves me confused. Does that mean I have been postponed to the second round or is there a mistake on their behalf?

What does it say under "status of application"? Because when I got the email and checked it still said "under consideration", which leaves me confused. Does that mean I have been postponed to the second round or is there a mistake on their behalf?

My status of application is still "under consideration", but with a transfer letter attached to notice the postponement of decision. Is it your situation? Did you get the letter?

My status of application is still "under consideration", but with a transfer letter attached to notice the postponement of decision. Is it your situation? Did you get the letter?

Ok nevermind, I found the transfer letter, which says the decision is postponed :(

Edited by robinh

Congrats to all. I also got in today! Masters of International Economics. I'm still trying to figure out exactly how good this school is. What other programs is it comparable to (and please let me know what program you're specifically referring to)?

I was accepted into the MIA!

Pluto, the school has a great reputation in Europe and especially within the UN community in Geneva. So if you see your career in that field, IHEID is a solid choice. Having said that, I don't know much about their Economics programme. :)

Also, to those admitted who have accepted the offer - I can't see where to pay my per-registration fee?

To everyone whose decision was postponed: all the best for the next round!!!

Edited by Grad888

Hello, and congrats to all of those who's been admitted - I've also received an offer for MDev! Can't finalize my decision until I get the results for other schools, but hope to see some of you if I end up at IHEID.

And good luck to those waiting to get their results in March! I know from stalking last year's thread that a lot of people got their results pushed back to the second round but still got admitted! :)

Hello, and congrats to all of those who's been admitted - I've also received an offer for MDev! Can't finalize my decision until I get the results for other schools, but hope to see some of you if I end up at IHEID.

And good luck to those waiting to get their results in March! I know from stalking last year's thread that a lot of people got their results pushed back to the second round but still got admitted! :)

Hey rookiegrad, where else did you apply and what's your first choice? Congrats on getting accepted! That's great to hear that many people from the EN were offered places in the second round!

Congrats to all who got in!  :)  Really good news!

I have to wait till March to get my decision. I expected that. So best of luck to all the March people!

Hey rookiegrad, where else did you apply and what's your first choice? Congrats on getting accepted! That's great to hear that many people from the EN were offered places in the second round!

Hey Grad888! I also applied to Sciences Po, LSE and Oxford. Tbh, I really don't know where I would consider my first choice because all of these schools have their pros and cons. The name values of Oxford and LSE are definitely appealing (and I'm from outside of Europe, so these two are by far more well known). But at the same time, I've lived in the UK before and I'd like to be in a new place, either Geneva or Paris, and possibly pick up a new language (French). 

I know what you mean. I had also applied to LSE last year but then decided that for me, IHEID is a much better choice; they seem very interested in helping you find internships and employment after your degree, whereas LSE seems a bit like a 'degree factory'. Just my thoughts on the subject. :) Plus, I also like that IHEID is two years, but that's just me. :) Good luck deciding, they're all fantastic options!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there Congratulations for the folks who have got the admission and all the best for the folks who are waiting :)

I am from India and working on my application for MIA for 2015 admission in IHEID. I did my MBA from one of the good B'schools (From India's perspective, but not from global rankings standpoint). I have over 11 years of corporate experience mostly around marketing strategy/research/insights in companies like IBM, Oracle and Deloitte. I am not happy with the current job for long time and I am really passionate about global politics/IR. I have been thinking of studying MIA in IHEID from quite sometime as this'll give me a chance to reorient my career path and work with Itrernational organizations/Think tanks. But the problem is with my academic grades which are bad through out...from senior secodary up to MBA.

Strengths/Reasons for MIA in IHEID:

1. Passion for MIA/IR

2. MBA with 11 years of corporate experience

3. Good recomendations from both professional and academic references (one each).

4. Research Background

5. Exposure to emerging markets/economies/politics

6. My wife has applied for swiss excellence scholarship for post doc in IHEID and expecting a positive outcome

Drawbacks

1. Bad Academic grades

2. Not gone to reputed instituites/schools

3. Not travelled much outside India.

Any advice how to deal with this given IHEID emphasises on academic achievements. Also pls let me know if I stand any chance to get in to IHEID for putting up a good Motivation letter, resume and recommendations.

Thanks and appreciate your quick response.

Hello all,

Applied for MDev early admission and heard back a couple of weeks ago. I'm being transferred to the next round of admissions and won't know the final decision until March.

Questions:

1. Does anyone know if my chances for admission will decrease/increase/stay the same because of this? I can't see how having a larger pool of applicants to compete against will make me MORE competitive. Do they ever outright reject anyone in the early admission phase?

2. Is there anything I can do in the meantime to make myself look better? For example, I just completed two informal classes on Globalization and Sustainable Development...these classes had not been completed when I sent in my application. Could I send in those completion certificates now? Would it make a difference?

3. Anyone know when exactly in March we'll here back from admissions?

This is frustrating...I had hoped to know for certain by now, but it looks like another 3 months of anxiety, hahah.

Hello all,

Applied for MDev early admission and heard back a couple of weeks ago. I'm being transferred to the next round of admissions and won't know the final decision until March.

Questions:

1. Does anyone know if my chances for admission will decrease/increase/stay the same because of this? I can't see how having a larger pool of applicants to compete against will make me MORE competitive. Do they ever outright reject anyone in the early admission phase?

2. Is there anything I can do in the meantime to make myself look better? For example, I just completed two informal classes on Globalization and Sustainable Development...these classes had not been completed when I sent in my application. Could I send in those completion certificates now? Would it make a difference?

3. Anyone know when exactly in March we'll here back from admissions?

This is frustrating...I had hoped to know for certain by now, but it looks like another 3 months of anxiety, hahah.

Hey ThimbusBlixnod, that must be so annoying! Hope those three month go by quickly for you!! Regarding your questions:

1. I would say that if you didn't meet their election criteria, they would reject you. Having said that, I would assume that your chances are slightly decreased because it seems like most people apply for the second round - but I could be completely off the mark with this!

2. I would definitely send them the certificates! It shows that you are motivated, take initiative and already have a background in the field (especially if your UG was in a different field). Even if it doesn't help, there is definitely no harm in sending them!

3. The admissions committee was really good at giving an update on when we'd hear back from them for the first round, so I think in early to mid-February, just send them an email or ask on their Facebook site and they will hopefully be able to tell you when you'll be notified.

Good luck with it all! Are you applying to any other schools as well?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I got in for Development Studies (early admission) and am pretty sure I will be attending. Anyone in the same situation?

Also, I recently got an email from IHEID about financial aid, asking me "What personal financial contribution would you be able to make to pay the tuition fees of your programme?"

Is this a good sign? Or would everyone get this message?

Thanks