Ed.S. vs. Master's (in relation to future Ph.D. vs. Ed.D. prospects)?

Suraj_S

I'm currently applying to school psych programs, both Master's and Ed.S. Ultimately, I'd like to pursue a doctorate in either clinical or experimental psych.

Let's say that I wind up vying for the Ed.S., with the ultimate goal of pursuing a Ph.D. (not necessarily my preferences, but let's just assume). Would this, in the eyes of future doctorate admissions selectors, 'pidgeonhole' me in any way into the Ed.D. route and lower my chances for entry into Ph.D. programs? I ask this mostly out of ignorance toward the Ed.D. degree--namely, how it is viewed differently from the Ph.D.

Thanks!

to the best of my understanding (both for doing work in Education and Psychology Departments) MEd/EdS/EdD are not geared towards making you a researcher. they're more applied programs for people willing to work outside academia so the research component is not as strong as within an traditional MA/PhD stream. that could place you at a disadvantage since you will not be able to show a PhD admission committee that you're capable of independent research, luring in grant money, etc. HOWEVER (and that's why i used italics on could) i think you can easily overcome this if you make research and publishing a priority while in graduate school. 

it's hard to believe that an admission committee would be willing to pass on a candidate with publications in high-quality journals just because (s)he has an Education degree instead of a more traditional MA/PhD research-focused degree. 

but yeah, without that publication/research aspect i could see an admission committee in Psychology looking at you suspiciously.

in my experience (so take this with  a grain of salt), i've seen it's more difficult to make the transition form Education to Psychology rather than from Psychology to Education (mostly in terms of departmental policies/bureaucracy. not necessarily the materials covered or the areas being taught). i have no clue why but after years of having a double-appointment in both Psych and Ed departments, going to AERA and APA conferences i've come to realize Psych peepz look at Ed peepz somewhat different.... and not in a good way, lol. 

I agree that you need research, however, as someone in a PhD program in school psych whose cohort is mostly made up of EdS students, I can say that there should be plenty of opportunity for you to get research experience should you want it. Really it's what you make of it. Most EdS students I know are not at all interested in research, they chose the degree because of its applied nature. However, I do know a few who are funded by professors and doing research. In fact, one of them probably does more research than a few of my PhD peers! She could absolutely switch to a PhD if she so desired.

I should also mention that if you pursue an EdS degree you will have the choice of completing a thesis or a project. If you have any aspirations to completing a PhD EVER, then choose the thesis! With research work + thesis you should be in a great position to apply to PhD programs outside of education.

In my opinion, it's a waste to get a Ed.S in School Psych if you plan on getting your doctorate in Clinical Psych. I doubt that many (if any) credits would transfer over to the Clinical program b.c School & Clinical take vastly different courses. 

IIRC this poster has posted before, and wants to take some time between the master's and PhD.  They thus want to get a master's that they can practice with in the meantime.  (Correct me if I'm wrong, OP.)

I don't think it's a waste per se; the credits won't transfer so it won't reduce your time to degree, but you will get some valuable clinical/counseling experience as a school psychologist (albeit a different setting, but still).  That can not only look good on a clinical application but will also probably enhance the clinical educational experience.

And no, I think as long as you get some research experience and do a thesis you should be okay.  Many a person with a professional master's has gone on to get a PhD later.  Also, the difference between EdD and PhD really differs between programs.  Generally speaking, the EdD is more thought of as a professional doctoral degree in education - designed for educational leaders (principals, superintendents, etc.) to go into the education field and lead in a practice sense.  But that's not universally true anymore.  Many research-based doctoral programs that have the goal of training academics - professors and researchers - culminate in an EdD.  For example, for years Harvard's research-based program was an EdD; they only recently transitioned it over to a PhD.