Fall 2015 Chemical Engineering PhD

Jguo32

Congrats on Caltech (and to everyone else thus far)! Just saw that on the results. 

Personally, only heard from Illinois so far. Getting anxious about the rest!

I had a question about recruitment weekends!

Are most recruitment weekends non-interview? Most of the programs my friends are visiting seem to have an interview attached, but I was told that generally (even if the school has an interview) you're probably set if you get the interview.

I had a question about recruitment weekends!

Are most recruitment weekends non-interview? Most of the programs my friends are visiting seem to have an interview attached, but I was told that generally (even if the school has an interview) you're probably set if you get the interview.

It depends on the program. As far as I know, for chemical engineering programs, recruitment weekends aren't the same as interview weekends since they are typically extended to those who have already been accepted and are used more as a method for students to see whether that program is a right fit for them (so the schools are "recruiting" you rather than you "interviewing" for a spot with them). However, during the recruitment weekends, you will often have opportunities to meet one-on-one (or in some other manner) with faculty that you are interested in working with. This isn't an interview, though; it is more of an opportunity for you to meet and talk with faculty to see if that school is a good fit for you.

Hope that makes sense!

Edited by tulips

Congrats! The Delaware admits seem to be making their rounds.

Still waiting for the big hitters (MIT, Princeton, Berkeley, Stanford, etc.). Based on previous years' results, it seems of those 4, Princeton's up next with a decision likely to come out this week sometime. Fingers crossed, although, based on a variety of reasons, of the 4 I think Princeton is my worst chance.

Edited by argon214

Thanks for the update! It's always nice to know when to expect things.

I'm interested in computational work - mainly transport phenomena and/or reaction kinetics. How about yourself?

Thanks everyone  :)

Lucky in the Sky (with diamonds): I don't think anyone has heard from Stanford yet. If someone has, they haven't posted here or submitted a result. I think that might be because they extended the deadline somewhat significantly.

Yeah, I don't think (m)any people have heard from Stanford. I, too, am interested in SUNCAT, but mainly because there is a fair degree of theory and computational work going on there (not super focused on catalysis in particular).

Yeah, this seems to be a pretty quiet week (to my surprise). I'm definitely feeling that there'll be a buzz with some big name schools next week. Time will tell! 

I'm fairly certain we will be hearing from Princeton next week. Additionally, based on previous years' admissions results, I think we will hear from U Minnesota. Not sure about any other schools, but best of luck to everyone!

Congrats to the folks who just got into Stanford! I'm a first year PhD student planning to join the theory group at SUNCAT. Feel free to PM me with any questions.