Applying for Neuroscience/Neurobiology Ph.D. programs for Fall 2015

NWFreeheel11

Thank you, A. Good luck today :)

Thank you! I see all of the neuroscience invites going on the results page so I have been refreshing my email at a record pace and I really should be on my way to final right now hahaha. Senioritis + awaiting grad school e-mails= deadly combo during finals week.

Congratulations - who sent you an email? I know there are multiple admission's counselors responsible for different applicants... just trying to keep my hopes up!

Mr. Jeff Steinbach- the admissions coordinator! The email said there was over 1000 applicants so I'm sure there's still plenty of time!

So now that this whole process is out of my hands, I'm starting to think about backup plans. I'd like to keep working in my current lab or if that's not possible, at another lab at my university. However, I feel like not getting into graduate school this time around may present an otherwise unavailable opportunity to do things that would not ordinarily be convenient for me. For example, I could get a job working in a lab overseas, or go to work in biotech for a little while or idk maybe even start a biotech company.

Have y'all thought about what you would do if grad school doesn't work out this round? Do you guys know any people doing awesome stuff instead of grad school? I've noticed some of you mention that you work or have worked in industry, what is/was that like?

So now that this whole process is out of my hands, I'm starting to think about backup plans. I'd like to keep working in my current lab or if that's not possible, at another lab at my university. However, I feel like not getting into graduate school this time around may present an otherwise unavailable opportunity to do things that would not ordinarily be convenient for me. For example, I could get a job working in a lab overseas, or go to work in biotech for a little while or idk maybe even start a biotech company.

Have y'all thought about what you would do if grad school doesn't work out this round? Do you guys know any people doing awesome stuff instead of grad school? I've noticed some of you mention that you work or have worked in industry, what is/was that like?

I graduated in 2011 and am so glad that I have taken some time away from academia. 

After graduating, I moved to silicon valley and worked for a start-up and volunteered to work with a research group at Stanford. I made good money, ended up getting two years of research experience and a LOR from my PI, and had a blast. After two years in the Bay, I moved to Seattle and worked at another tech company for a year. In June of this year, my girlfriend and I started a bicycle ride that will last until August 2015, right before grad school starts. We are riding from northern Alaska to South America and are having the time of our lives. We made it to San Francisco (~3000mi) and have taken a break so I can interview. In March, we are going to get back on our bikes and keep riding until August. 

My point in all this is that I think everyone should consider taking a little time off before grad school. Perspective makes life a little different. People say that if you don't go straight to school, you will get comfortable and never go to grad school. I think that if you are passionate about it, you will go back no matter what and a little time away helps build a bit of excitement to get back into the swing of things. 

A creative story in your personal statement helps bring everything together and you can find a compelling story line between any points. I think, and have spoken with many people about this deciding to take time off myself, that having life experience helps a person understand the limitations of the real world outside of a resource dense academic laboratory. 

I whole heartedly think that if grad school doesn't pan out this time, you should take some time to do something a little different. If you really want to go, you will get there eventually. You can still do something productive and useful for building your application, such as research abroad, but I think you should mix it up and enjoy life. Grad school is tough, leads straight to postdocs and then into careers.

Do something epic. 

Edited by NWFreeheel11

I graduated in 2011 and am so glad that I have taken some time away from academia. 

After graduating, I moved to silicon valley and worked for a start-up and volunteered to work with a research group at Stanford. I made good money, ended up getting two years of research experience and a LOR from my PI, and had a blast. After two years in the Bay, I moved to Seattle and worked at another tech company for a year. In June of this year, my girlfriend and I started a bicycle ride that will last until August 2015, right before grad school starts. We are riding from northern Alaska to South America and are having the time of our lives. We made it to San Francisco (~3000mi) and have taken a break so I can interview. In March, we are going to get back on our bikes and keep riding until August. 

My point in all this is that I think everyone should consider taking a little time off before grad school. Perspective makes life a little different. People say that if you don't go straight to school, you will get comfortable and never go to grad school. I think that if you are passionate about it, you will go back no matter what and a little time away helps build a bit of excitement to get back into the swing of things. 

A creative story in your personal statement helps bring everything together and you can find a compelling story line between any points. I think, and have spoken with many people about this deciding to take time off myself, that having life experience helps a person understand the limitations of the real world outside of a resource dense academic laboratory. 

I whole heartedly think that if grad school doesn't pan out this time, you should take some time to do something a little different. If you really want to go, you will get there eventually. You can still do something productive and useful for building your application, such as research abroad, but I think you should mix it up and enjoy life. Grad school is tough, leads straight to postdocs and then into careers.

Do something epic. 

THAT SOUNDS AWESOME!!!

Good for you!

Do something epic. 

Good advice! I've always thought about doing field research (definitely different than working in a lab). I was never sure when I'd ever have the opportunity. However, you're right--if things don't pan out this year I might pursue that dream of doing some animal behavior field research. Another option I've thought of is an internship for new graduates...

Good advice! I've always thought about doing field research (definitely different than working in a lab). I was never sure when I'd ever have the opportunity. However, you're right--if things don't pan out this year I might pursue that dream of doing some animal behavior field research. Another option I've thought of is an internship for new graduates...

Animal behavior field research is an easy hop fro psych and could be tied into the who plan easily and seamlessly. That would be an awesome way to mix things up while still being productive. 

Thank you, I hope you're right. I just don't want to be in a situation where I'm forced to decide if I want to attend a program before I had a chance to interview with my top choice, since there's no guarantee to either.

This is where the April 15 deadline comes from. It's technically for financial support, not admission (shouldn't matter in this case). Also, it's not a binding agreement. Universities will generally recognize it, but they wiggle around it a bit as well. Last year I saw some universities promise extra money if you accept early and I also saw some make offers past the April 15th deadline. But those were the exceptions.

Has anyone been contacted by OHSU? According to their website, the review process should have been completed yesterday and invitations sent out by the 15th.

After all this talk of post bacc stuff after I already applied bummed me out, especially since I got published. Petersons said they have an 8% acceptence rate also. Prolly even more applications than last year so at this point I feel like it's not likely that I'll get an interview,, even though I had made a great contact with my poi.