Applying for Neuroscience/Neurobiology Ph.D. programs for Fall 2015

NWFreeheel11

I am really curious when I will hear back from them. Gary Roman, the INP coordinator, is one of the rudest people I have ever had a chance to speak to and I don't want to call for that reason. He told me in an email that they will contact me in December and not to contact THEM!  :( I am glad I am working tonight to not think about this. I really wanted to get an invite from there.

I too and waiting to hear from Irvine and I also had an unbelievably unpleasant interaction with the INP coordinator. After having an argument with him due to him being extremely rude I contacted the head of the department and informed her. She didn't seem surprised or frazzled but she did say that my application would be reviewed and my argument did not affect my status. I was informed that the committee would receive all application last Friday, 12/12.

Ok, I thought I was the only one that thought the INP coordinator was rude. He basically hung up on me when I called asking why my status said incomplete on my transcripts. This is my first choice school but don't want to call and have to speak with him again. Looks like its a waiting game for now <_<

I didn't notice that I was missing a LOR until a few days after the deadline.  When I emailed the INP coordinator, the last line of his response was "“lack of timing on your part, does not anticipate rushing on our part”. Cracked me up hahaha 

(to be fair though, it was entirely my fault)

Thank you for your advice! For some reason I thought the request was somewhat negative (?) I know it doesn't make sense because they could have just not contacted me at all, but I guess the anxiety caused by this process made me take it the wrong way.. Thank you for your fast reply too Ted Binsky! :)

No problem, if you need any advice please let me know.

I too and waiting to hear from Irvine and I also had an unbelievably unpleasant interaction with the INP coordinator. After having an argument with him due to him being extremely rude I contacted the head of the department and informed her. She didn't seem surprised or frazzled but she did say that my application would be reviewed and my argument did not affect my status. I was informed that the committee would receive all application last Friday, 12/12.

Can you let me know who I should contact, because this guy is so hostile and goes off on tangents. I spoke to my dad about this guy, and he said that I might as well as not even think about going to UCI cuz he probably threw away my application or will do something to spoil it. I really believe he is crazy enough to do that. I wanted to speak to someone about his actions. He wrote nasty emails and is so rude over the phone.

Ok, I thought I was the only one that thought the INP coordinator was rude. He basically hung up on me when I called asking why my status said incomplete on my transcripts. This is my first choice school but don't want to call and have to speak with him again. Looks like its a waiting game for now <_<

Again, I want to find help so something can be done. UCI was my first choice school and now I am not so sure, because if this is just how one person there acts, I wonder what the rest of the faculty are like since they let him stay in his position.

I didn't notice that I was missing a LOR until a few days after the deadline.  When I emailed the INP coordinator, the last line of his response was "“lack of timing on your part, does not anticipate rushing on our part”. Cracked me up hahaha 

(to be fair though, it was entirely my fault)

Yes, he sends sarcastic and rude emails. He emailed me back in October regarding transcripts. The email said that he received my transcripts from a college I never went to, and when I tried contacting him about it he went bananas. He shouldn't have the job he has.

I got home really late from work tonight and I got a letter from OHSU neuroscience. I got rejected. It definitely hurts, especially since I had been in close contact with my poi there. Here is the email:

After careful review of your application by our admissions committee, we will not be able to consider your application further. We had a large number of applicants such as you with excellent academic records. Thus we had to make decisions about which applicants best match our program. Although many factors are considered in evaluating each applicant, we give the most consideration to applicants with strong backgrounds in science and math, as well as 1 or more years of post-baccalaureate research experience.

I have good grades, research experience, a publication, and a good science background considering I am a psychology major. I guess it was the post bacc experience and my gre scores possibly that did me in. I will say that I am still blessed to have 2 interviews lined up and a 3rd at least coming shortly. Just have to stay positive even though this hurts. I am also surprised that UCI didn't send me an email today, as in years past it would've came by now. 

I got home really late from work tonight and I got a letter from OHSU neuroscience. I got rejected. It definitely hurts, especially since I had been in close contact with my poi there. Here is the email:

After careful review of your application by our admissions committee, we will not be able to consider your application further. We had a large number of applicants such as you with excellent academic records. Thus we had to make decisions about which applicants best match our program. Although many factors are considered in evaluating each applicant, we give the most consideration to applicants with strong backgrounds in science and math, as well as 1 or more years of post-baccalaureate research experience.

I have good grades, research experience, a publication, and a good science background considering I am a psychology major. I guess it was the post bacc experience and my gre scores possibly that did me in. I will say that I am still blessed to have 2 interviews lined up and a 3rd at least coming shortly. Just have to stay positive even though this hurts. I am also surprised that UCI didn't send me an email today, as in years past it would've came by now. 

I'm sorry to hear that! I hope that things will work out in the end.

Is this for Neuro or for the Biomedical Sciences umbrella?

If Neuro, I will see you there!

Biomed! Because I was also interested in some of the Pharmacology faculty. Which weekend are you going? And how long did it take them to email you with the information after they called you? Because I haven't gotten the email yet and I'm really excited for this one. 

I'm sorry to hear that! I hope that things will work out in the end.

Thank you friend, I think they will. It hurts a little but I should be happy a couple schools already shown interest. I tried to give you a thumbs up from my iPad but it put thumbs down by accident! How do I undo that? Sorry ><

Biomed! Because I was also interested in some of the Pharmacology faculty. Which weekend are you going? And how long did it take them to email you with the information after they called you? Because I haven't gotten the email yet and I'm really excited for this one. 

I'm going 2/5-2/8. I'm really interested in some of the pharmacology faculty too -- but luckily all of the people I took interest in participate in the neuroscience program.

I was emailed within 30 minutes of my phone call, but we were probably contacted by different people. Gidon Felsen of the neuroscience admissions committee called and emailed me.

I'm going 2/5-2/8. I'm really interested in some of the pharmacology faculty too -- but luckily all of the people I took interest in participate in the neuroscience program.

I was emailed within 30 minutes of my phone call, but we were probably contacted by different people. Gidon Felsen of the neuroscience admissions committee called and emailed me.

See- I really want to go to that one, but I have Penn's interview then UNC, and then Denver would be the third straight weekend so I'm not sure how I feel about that. 

They called me at 5:30pm their  time (7:30 my time), so I'm not sure if they're just going to wait until Monday or what, but I'm getting nervous. I'm thinking "what did I do to offend them and what if they retracted their invitation". I know that's illogical but this process has me going crazy. 

I have a really close friend who is a 4th year PhD in the neuro department at CU Denver AMC and she is working with a faculty in the pharmacology area. She has already published a first author paper and patent based on her work. I know the faculty there are stellar and Denver is awesome. 

I will be there for that weekend too, but I will be interviewing for bioengineering. All the AMC programs interview on the same weekend. 

See- I really want to go to that one, but I have Penn's interview then UNC, and then Denver would be the third straight weekend so I'm not sure how I feel about that. 

They called me at 5:30pm their  time (7:30 my time), so I'm not sure if they're just going to wait until Monday or what, but I'm getting nervous. I'm thinking "what did I do to offend them and what if they retracted their invitation". I know that's illogical but this process has me going crazy. 

It was probably just getting late in the day for them -- you'll probably get that email Monday. Did you mention on the phone that you would prefer another weekend? Maybe their response is delayed because they're still trying to coordinate a second weekend. I really have no idea, but I bet you didn't offend them.

No problem, if you need any advice please let me know.

Can you let me know who I should contact, because this guy is so hostile and goes off on tangents. I spoke to my dad about this guy, and he said that I might as well as not even think about going to UCI cuz he probably threw away my application or will do something to spoil it. I really believe he is crazy enough to do that. I wanted to speak to someone about his actions. He wrote nasty emails and is so rude over the phone.

Again, I want to find help so something can be done. UCI was my first choice school and now I am not so sure, because if this is just how one person there acts, I wonder what the rest of the faculty are like since they let him stay in his position.

Yes, he sends sarcastic and rude emails. He emailed me back in October regarding transcripts. The email said that he received my transcripts from a college I never went to, and when I tried contacting him about it he went bananas. He shouldn't have the job he has.

I was also rejected by OHSU with no interview, but now I'm a grad student in a great program.  Like you said, stay positive!  It will work out.

I have a really close friend who is a 4th year PhD in the neuro department at CU Denver AMC and she is working with a faculty in the pharmacology area. She has already published a first author paper and patent based on her work. I know the faculty there are stellar and Denver is awesome. 

I will be there for that weekend too, but I will be interviewing for bioengineering. All the AMC programs interview on the same weekend. 

I wish I knew someone there. I just want to pelt questions at people who actually attend some of these schools.

Like, are you "happy"? How's your work-life balance? Did you feel like you were adequately prepared when you first started? EIther way, did the program (your rotations, etc) adequately train you well for your ventures into independent research? How much control did you have in designing your project? How often is your PI in lab (mine never is)? What do you do when you're stressed out? Do you hang out with students in your program when you aren't working? Do students compete with one another, or is it a more celebrative, collaborative environment? What's the city like to live in? How did you relocate -- how do you find an apartment in another state? How are the seminars -- does the program actively bring in researchers from across the country (or globe?) -- or is it more of a requirement that nobody really likes? Is the stipend well-suited to the university's location? How is the health insurance? Do you take on side projects in other labs? Is traveling to conferences supported or encouraged? What other schools did you consider when you were in my shoes? How did you make your decision -- what won you over?  

EDIT: I just remembered that this is what interviews are for. I'm going to remember this list for when I'm freaked out about my first interview.

Edited by pasteltomato

Just heard from Columbia by email (wasn't expecting any news on Sunday)! I've been dying waiting for my first interview and thrilled that the much-awaited first is one of my top choices! The dates are Jan 22 - 24 and February 5-7 and I am still trying to decide when.

Congrats, that's awesome! Are these dates for Skype interviews?

Also, you ruined my nice Sunday night since I can't think about anything else now.

Congrats, that's awesome! Are these dates for Skype interviews?

Also, you ruined my nice Sunday night since I can't think about anything else now.

I hope you hear from them soon too, I'm sure it's just rolling out - there's no reason that they'd send all interviews out on a Sunday! 

The dates are the actual open days, which I probably will fly to the States to attend especially if I get other interviews around that time. It is possible for internationals to go without attending the actual open days, and I was told to specify dates and times within the first half of January for a skype interview with faculty.

I hope you hear from them soon too, I'm sure it's just rolling out - there's no reason that they'd send all interviews out on a Sunday! 

The dates are the actual open days, which I probably will fly to the States to attend especially if I get other interviews around that time. It is possible for internationals to go without attending the actual open days, and I was told to specify dates and times within the first half of January for a skype interview with faculty.

Does that mean that you will have two interviews then?

for Pitt's CNUP program -  did they just start sending out interviews? and those of you who got interviews there - when was your application complete? 

Heard from Columbia too! Do you guys know how to work out scheduling interviews back to back?

Congrats to the Columbia invites. I'm really hoping that they'll still be sending out invites tomorrow. Though I have no idea how I'd even get to visit since I've already committed to UPenn and Emory for those weekends.