Applying for Neuroscience/Neurobiology Ph.D. programs for Fall 2015

NWFreeheel11

I am a current student at NYU Sackler. For anyone anxious about getting an interview invite, the invites are sent out in waves. I received my invite last year on January 5th or 6th I think. First wave went out around Christmas.

Good luck to everyone!

I did not apply there, but it's nice of you to help ease the anxiety some might be feeling right now!!  :)

This is reposted from a topic on The Menu.

I'm studying in the UK and applying for PhD positions in the US starting next fall. My goal is to get into a computational/theoretical neuroscience program and work in memory/learning/synaptic plasticity. I would appreciate some comments on my profile.

Degrees: I have an integrated Master's degree in Artificial Intelligence from a top UK university in computer science (top 12 worldwide according to QS) (upper second class, ~68%). I'm currently doing a 2-year MSc in Mathematics at a top 4 UK university in maths and top 25 worldwide in maths (again according to QS). I will likely get upper second class as well (between 60 and 70).

Courses: I took some tough, very rigorous courses in maths but my marks were generally not very good in the first year (I am in my second year of the MSc now).

Here they are:

Measure theory ( D )

Qualitative theory of ODEs ( B )

Ergodic theory ( C )

Fourier Analysis ( C )

Functional Analysis I ( C )

Functional Analysis II ( A )

Relativity and Electrodynamics ( B )

Probability theory ( D ).

This year I'm taking (all graduate-level courses):

Stochastic analysis

Dynamical systems

Introduction to topology

Advanced PDEs

Brownian Motion

Advanced real analysis

Introduction to theoretical neuroscience

Mathematical Relativity.

At my first university I took all computational neuroscience courses available --- about 6 and I got an A on 4 of them and two B's.

Research:

1. Dissertation in computational neuroscience for my Master's degree in AI (Mark: A, 73).

2. First year project in computational biology for my MSc in Mathematcs (Mark: A, 87).

3. Dissertation (second year) in theoretical neuroscience for my MSc in Mathematics (Ongoing). This one is relevant since it is directly on topic (synaptic plasticity).

I have no publications. I had to publish my first dissertation as a first author but never got around to do it.

Letters of Recommendation: (correspond to the research experience above)

1. My supervisor is a Reader and very enthusiastic about me. Well-known in the field. Has written very good recommendation letters for me at least 5 times and always sends them to me to read.

2. My supervisor is again a Reader, co-director of Systems Biology Centre, very enthusiastic. In a different field. Also wrote a couple of recommendation letters for me and sent them to me.

3. Just starting out so I don't expect a great recommendation. He is also a Reader and a very well-known researcher.

GRE:

Q: 163

V: 163

A: 4.5

Programming: I did AI and Computer Science so I'm comfortable with many languages (Matlab, Mathematica, python etc.). Have worked with frameworks popular in computational neuroscience.

Extra:

- I attended several big summer schools in computational neuroscience with the majority of accepted students being PhD students. I attended one of the top summer schools in learning and memory with many top researchers as lecturers and the school itself was fully funded (accommodation plus food plus trips minus travel to Asia). I got a travel grant from INCF. There was also a small research project that I can talk about in my statement of purpose.

- I attended another fully funded top summer school on memory but from a broader perspective including philosophy (this time travel expenses were covered).

- I presented two posters on two separate summer schools.

- I sat on the Board of Studies at my first university.

Programs I applied to:

1. MIT

2. NYU

3. UCSD

4. Columbia

Questions:

1. Do you think my profile would be good enough for the universities I have chosen?

2. Do you think my marks and my GRE would significantly hurt my chances?

3. What other programs would you suggest are suitable for my profile?

I am a bit worried about my grades and GRE. These could be corrected if I wait another year but what do you make of the rest of the profile?

I've applied for UC Santa Barbara because of their Dynamical Neuroscience PhD program. It's an interdisciplinary program with neuroscience (computational and cognitive), biology, chemistry, physics, psychology, neuroimaging, and computer science. The degree is newer, as are the facilities and equipment, and students work with people in these different fields (as well as come from these different fields). You may be interested in a program like this, if not necessarily this one, given your experience and interests. Here's the link if you'd like to check it out...

http://www.dyns.ucsb.edu/

I am a current student at NYU Sackler. For anyone anxious about getting an interview invite, the invites are sent out in waves. I received my invite last year on January 5th or 6th I think. First wave went out around Christmas.

Good luck to everyone!

Thank you for posting this, it's really nice of you to let us know. 

Sigh, I know adcoms probably just got back to work and all, and I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I still can't help feeling anxious.

When would be "too soon" to start emailing administration about interviews? I know one of the programs I applied for at UCSD has one interview weekend coming up in 3 weeks, and a second interview weekend for the same program about 2 weeks after, and one of my friends has already heard back from that program before Christmas (I've seen a few interviews on the results page, too), so not sure if I should start panciking since UCSD is my top choice D:

Sigh, I know adcoms probably just got back to work and all, and I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I still can't help feeling anxious.

When would be "too soon" to start emailing administration about interviews? I know one of the programs I applied for at UCSD has one interview weekend coming up in 3 weeks, and a second interview weekend for the same program about 2 weeks after, and one of my friends has already heard back from that program before Christmas (I've seen a few interviews on the results page, too), so not sure if I should start panciking since UCSD is my top choice D:

Hey, I saw you have an interview from Ohio State, did you receive an itinerary yet? 

Hey, I saw you have an interview from Ohio State, did you receive an itinerary yet? 

Yup! But I'm with the Biomedical Sciences program, and the interview is in two days! Are you also interviewing for Biomed at OSU?

First of all... you people make me sick.  Nothing like making an already nerve-wracked applicant more anxious than seeing such a collection of stellar applicants... At least I didn't have the balls to apply to the same programs most of you did, so maybe I'm a bit more competitive in my own right.  

Secondly, I wish I'd discovered this forum months ago... it would've informed my decisions greatly, but also not left me feeling like I was the only one pacing around my cell phone and constantly checking my inbox/spam folder for as long as I have. As it is, I stumbled on this website tonight as I felt I could get some reprieve from relevant internet searches... Success!!!

FWIW:

Undergrad Institution: Small, private liberal arts school.  < 3000 students

Major(s): BA - Psychology
Minor(s): Sociology
GPA in Major: 3.5
Overall GPA: 3.0
Position in Class: *shrugs shoulders*
Type of Student: Domestic male

Grad Institution: Very large private school in TX

Major: MA Behavioral Neuroscience (PhD program)

Minor: Statistics

GPA: 3.5

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 152 - 48%
V: 157 - 74%
W: 4.0 - 56% 

Research Experience: 6+ years of relevant experience.

3 years (as graduate student) - whole-cell, patch clamp e-phys, various behavioral techniques.

3 institutional poster presentations, 1 accepted at SfN.

3 years (post grad school---present) as laboratory management in neuroscience/neuroendocrinology lab in medical school at large state school in FL - various behavioral and biochemical techniques

2 second authored publications, 2 first authored pubs in prep, 1 second authored pub in prep, 1 SfN poster presentation, several institutional         presentations

3 years (post grad school---present) primarily as volunteer scientist at VA hospital in FL - various behavioral and biochemical techniques

3 first authored publications, 1 second authored pub, 2 first authored pubs in prep, 1 second authored pub in prep, 3 SfN poster

presentations, 2 other minor conference poster presentations, 2 institutional poster presentations.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:

Not much - research assistantship in grad school, teaching assistantship in grad school, lump sum bonus as lab manager for 3+ years of excellent performance reviews.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:

Volunteered for independent laboratory at VA while working full time as lab manager and supervising scientist.  

Paid statistical consultant for various grant applications for VA.  

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments/Information that Might Help:

Left graduate school due to poor fit after reevaluation when my father suddenly passed away in my second year.

Founded a fraternity in undergrad. 

Worked at sleep disorders clinic in undergrad.

Applying to Where:
UT Austin

Texas A&M

UTHSCSA

UGA

UT Knoxville

UKY

LSUHSC-S

Note: not all are "neuro" specifically, but may be umbrellas or are biological/experimental psychology programs.  Having developed the research history I have, I felt it more important to apply to programs that had more to offer in terms of behavioral neuroscience with PIs that were able to ensure funding upon matriculation/when appropriate.

PPS: I'm hoping that my research experience overshadows the inadequacies of my mediocre GRE and GPAs.  Any thoughts?

Question for those of you still attending to this post: 

When you applied, did you seek out PIs that you wanted to work with ahead of time?  

If so, did you seek to ensure they had funding?

Did the school(s) you applied to have mandatory lab rotations that influenced this preemptive communication?

When you applied, did you seek out PIs that you wanted to work with ahead of time?  

Did the school(s) you applied to have mandatory lab rotations that influenced this preemptive communication?

I sought PIs at some institutions, not all (I applied to 13), and have gotten invites to interview from institutions in both categories. I did not ask about their funding directly but did ask if they were considering taking graduate students in the upcoming year or two. I am unsure of what I want to study specifically (or what level) so I only applied to programs with mandatory lab rotations, however, with or without them I would have contacted some people. Hope this helps and good luck!!! :)

Edited by PeterPanComplex

FWIW:

I only applied to institutions that had a PI that I established a rapport with (meaning that I had successful phone conversations with them). I did not ask directly about funding either--if PIs can't fund you, they cannot take in grad students. So I just asked if they were taking in students. I just feel weird mentioning a PI that I did not talk to beforehand.

I sought PIs at some institutions, not all (I applied to 13), and have gotten invites to interview from institutions in both categories. I did not ask about their funding directly but did ask if they were considering taking graduate students in the upcoming year or two. I am unsure of what I want to study specifically (or what level) so I only applied to programs with mandatory lab rotations, however, with or without them I would have contacted some people. Hope this helps and good luck!!! :)

I too have applied to some programs that require rotations, but most of mine admit students directly to a PI's lab and would therefore be funded under the PI from the get go.  I can see great value in the rotation system, but fear too much that I'll find a PI I want that, come to find out 1-2 years later, do not actually have sufficient funding.

FWIW:

I only applied to institutions that had a PI that I established a rapport with (meaning that I had successful phone conversations with them). I did not ask directly about funding either--if PIs can't fund you, they cannot take in grad students. So I just asked if they were taking in students. I just feel weird mentioning a PI that I did not talk to beforehand.

I think there's no question that this is the best way to go.  I too have established rapport with all of my desired PIs short of a couple in the schools requiring rotations.  

Re: Funding - I currently work in a department that is a part of a rotation system for a biomed PhD program. It is shocking how many people find out after one year of rotations that there's not actually enough money to cover a student.  Furthermore, I've heard from numerous sources, including from programs at institutions more prestigious than my own, that it is important that before you start rotations or even when you interview that you be sure your POI can support you when the time comes. Beware of those PIs that are just looking to get a rotation's worth of free work out of you only to reject you later on the basis of limited funding.  Even with this said, I've also asked one potential PI (to whose lab I ended up not applying to) who said playfully, "That's in two years? How can I know if I can afford you then."  

Thanks for the replies... I'm interested in the mindset/"research-fit" element of the field

You can use NIH reporter to look up PI's to determine how much funding they have from NIH grants. This is again, only specific to NIH grants and not private funding, departmental funding, etc.

I tell students this all the time, always ask future PI's "are you taking students" and when you get into the program and you are considering rotating ask what the current funding situation is, how many RO1's, do they currently have, are they applying for more RO1's, have previous students applied for pre-doctoral fellowships (NRSA's), is this encouraged in their lab, if so- are they willing to help you with this goal?

Lastly, it is terrifying how many students programs are taking without having enough funding. I worked at a large university where the program took 14 students one year and a lot of them had no where to go. They ended up in labs that were just starting up that had only startup funding and several of them dropped out. We also had a newer faculty member promise 2 students a spot in his lab but asked them to keep it a secret and he let other students rotate through thinking they had a spot available and he didn't. Always ask the PI how many students they are considering taking, are those spots actively available, etc. 

If you can, reach out to older students in the program who have rotated in the labs you are interested in (once you get in, you can ask around) ask them for their candid advice and set up rotations early. Nothing is more frustrating than a student walking into your office a week before or after rotations are to/were to begin needing a spot because they didn't think ahead.

Edited by lab ratta-tat-tat

You can use NIH reporter to look up PI's to determine how much funding they have from NIH grants. This is again, only specific to NIH grants and not private funding, departmental funding, etc.

I tell students this all the time, always ask future PI's "are you taking students" and when you get into the program and you are considering rotating ask what the current funding situation is, how many RO1's, do they currently have, are they applying for more RO1's, have previous students applied for pre-doctoral fellowships (NRSA's), is this encouraged in their lab, if so- are they willing to help you with this goal?

Lastly, it is terrifying how many students programs are taking without having enough funding. I worked at a large university where the program took 14 students one year and a lot of them had no where to go. They ended up in labs that were just starting up that had only startup funding and several of them dropped out. We also had a newer faculty member promise 2 students a spot in his lab but asked them to keep it a secret and he let other students rotate through thinking they had a spot available and he didn't. Always ask the PI how many students they are considering taking, are those spots actively available, etc. 

If you can, reach out to older students in the program who have rotated in the labs you are interested in (once you get in, you can ask around) ask them for their candid advice and set up rotations early. Nothing is more frustrating than a student walking into your office a week before or after rotations are to/were to begin needing a spot because they didn't think ahead.

This is great advice.  I think asking about funding (for instance, during the interviews) leaves a firm impression that you are aware of the realities of academia, particularly in this funding climate where so many PIs spend the majority of their time writing grants.  

Part of the reason I am so focused on the funding is that the major reason I left my former PhD program was because I was brought in under the expectation that sufficient funding would be obtained by the time it was needed.  It never was, and I was left in quite a pickle... and so too was my department, who couldn't afford to pay for me as well.  Btw, it's pretty hard to do research when you can't afford to buy supplies.... so funding is more important than just covering your stipend and/or tuition.

I don't know if you meant this post was meant for current grad students attending school already, but I did contact PI's before I applied asking if they will be taking grad students. The majority got back to me with a comment on my credentials and with either a "yes, I will be taking students" (which hopefully means they have funding), and some flat out just told me they don't have funding so they can't. Emailing the PI's was also very helpful because one requested a phone call with me (and I got an interview to the school when interviews went out), and others I got to meet personally at SfN when I attended.

I emailed mainly because there were some schools where there were about 5 or 6 PI's I was interested in, but I didn't want to apply if only 1 or 2 of them were taking students

Just heard from UCSF! 

Interview weekends:

February 13 and 14

February 27 and 28

Congrats! Is there a date by when individuals who were invited need to respond by? Hoping there might be another wave of invites if there is a deadline. Thanks in advance! 

Congrats! Is there a date by when individuals who were invited need to respond by? Hoping there might be another wave of invites if there is a deadline. Thanks in advance! 

They just said to reply ASAP because it is basically first come first serve on which weekend you get. I'm sure they're not done sending them out! Try not to stress too much.