Applying for Neuroscience/Neurobiology Ph.D. programs for Fall 2015

NWFreeheel11

UCSD Is still sending out invites!! Just heard

Congratulations! Also, look at you getting interviews everywhere! You must be fr**** amazing!

I was worried because at this point I assume that most, if not all invitations have been sent out by now. I did email 2 programs asking if they were done sending invites. Will update the forum if they are still sending them...

Anyone applying to Boston University's Graduate Program for Neuroscience (GPN)? I can't seem to find any other fellow applicants :)

Has anyone heard from USC Neuroscience Graduate Program or Caltech Computation and Neural Systems Program?

I have not heard back from USC yet, but judging from the results page, they historically send out invitation in mid-late january.

UGA's ILS, the umbrella covering neuroscience...  Just got an invite.  First one.  Phew!

What programs did you apply to at kentucky and tennessee?  I just finished undergrad at UK and have applied there as well, in addition to UTHSC in Memphis

Anyone applying to Boston University's Graduate Program for Neuroscience (GPN)? I can't seem to find any other fellow applicants :)

Yup. Have not heard anything from them yet. 

UCSD Is still sending out invites!! Just heard

Congrats! Did you decline the NYU interview? I am in the same position, but can't think of a good way to handle the conflicts between UCSD, NYU, Columbia, and Harvard.

Just heard from UCSD a while ago, thrilled! I also heard from MIT a week ago and their questionnaire says to RSVP before 25th Jan, it is possible they will send invites up till a while before that? UCSD's and MIT's visit days partially overlap, but thankfully not the interview days! 

Edited by thindust

What programs did you apply to at kentucky and tennessee?  I just finished undergrad at UK and have applied there as well, in addition to UTHSC in Memphis

For UKY, Experimental Psychology PhD, Behavioral Neuroscience and Pharmacology tract.  For UT (Knoxville), Experimental Psychology PhD, Biological Psychology tract.  

I'd looked into UTHSC a while back but for some reason didn't find a good research match.  Funding maybe?  I can't remember... I've researched soooo many programs, they're all running together.  

What program at UK did you apply to.  What POI (if you don't mind saying).  

I have a question or two for the person who posted "accepted" today for Neuroscience at UT San Antonio.  Whoever you are, are reading this thread?

I think they meant UTSA which is separate from UTHSCSA which from your signature is the one I think you applied to (could be wrong). I go to UTHSCSA and I don't think they've had their first interview weekend since the deadline hasn't technically passed yet. And I don't remember being asked to participate, but I could be wrong. I know they have a weekend Feb 5-7 because a friend of mine is going. I'm not sure if there is a January one. 

For UKY, Experimental Psychology PhD, Behavioral Neuroscience and Pharmacology tract. For UT (Knoxville), Experimental Psychology PhD, Biological Psychology tract.

I'd looked into UTHSC a while back but for some reason didn't find a good research match. Funding maybe? I can't remember... I've researched soooo many programs, they're all running together.

What program at UK did you apply to. What POI (if you don't mind saying).

I applied to the behavioral neuroscience and psychopharmacology track as well. It's kind of my safety school, I just graduated from there for undergrad. But I haven't actually talked to anyone in the department as far as research goes. But I know Dr. Lorch from my psych minor there, he's the psych department chair. What about you?

I think they meant UTSA which is separate from UTHSCSA which from your signature is the one I think you applied to (could be wrong). I go to UTHSCSA and I don't think they've had their first interview weekend since the deadline hasn't technically passed yet. And I don't remember being asked to participate, but I could be wrong. I know they have a weekend Feb 5-7 because a friend of mine is going. I'm not sure if there is a January one. 

That was exactly my question - was it UTSA or UTHSCSA? (among follow-ups too, I guess).

I didn't even know UTSA had a neuroscience program, but apparently they do have a PhD program in neurobiology through the biology department.  

I'm interested - as a student there now, would you consider UTHSCSA one of your safety schools, mid-levels or hopeful options?  

I applied to the behavioral neuroscience and psychopharmacology track as well. It's kind of my safety school, I just graduated from there for undergrad. But I haven't actually talked to anyone in the department as far as research goes. But I know Dr. Lorch from my psych minor there, he's the psych department chair. What about you?

I reached out to Michael Bardo (who I'm sure you know is kind of a giant in addiction and decision making), but due to funding limitations, he pointed me towards Josh Beckmann.  I've talked with him a few times and met with him at a conference in November.  He is doing some very cool research on addiction, decision making and operant learning and even though it seems everyone is doing addiction research of some kind in UKY's psych program, I honestly think his is the most interesting.  

Congrats! Did you decline the NYU interview? I am in the same position, but can't think of a good way to handle the conflicts between UCSD, NYU, Columbia, and Harvard.

Yeah NYU is skype interviewing me. MIT is flying me out separately because I have a conflict with UCSF. But harvard and columbia aren't conflicting.. Harvard is late January, Columbia is early February, and UCSD is late February.

That was exactly my question - was it UTSA or UTHSCSA? (among follow-ups too, I guess).

I didn't even know UTSA had a neuroscience program, but apparently they do have a PhD program in neurobiology through the biology department.  

I'm interested - as a student there now, would you consider UTHSCSA one of your safety schools, mid-levels or hopeful options?  

I actually never finished my application. I was exhausted after 11 applications, so I put it off, and then just never went back to it. At this point I probably couldn't even go if I got the interview, so the joke will be on me if my interviews don't go very well. 

For me I considered it a safety only because I've basically done the first year and half of the program because the PhD and MS programs are so similar. For an outsider I would say it's probably mid-tier. The admissions committee is really good at looking at the whole package and not focusing on GPA/GRE scores so much, but they're accepting half as many people as they did when I joined because of funding. It also depends on which track you plan on going into. Some are more competitive than others. 

Hey guys, I know many have received Northwestern (NUIN) interview invitations earlier on and there has recently been a wave of rejections. Does anyone know what it means to not have heard from them - and whether it is worth waiting or is it rather unlikely to get off a wait-list? I am really hoping to finalize my travel plans soon!

Edited by thindust

Yeah NYU is skype interviewing me. MIT is flying me out separately because I have a conflict with UCSF. But harvard and columbia aren't conflicting.. Harvard is late January, Columbia is early February, and UCSD is late February.

Columbia and NYU both gave two weekends to choose from, but it seems like there's no way to attend all four interviews. Good to know that skype is an option! Thanks :)

To whoever posted in the results section about an interview from U. of Kentucky's Psychology/Behavioral Neuroscience and Pharmacology - who is your POI?  Also, who informed you? POI, Program Chair, Staff?

Thanks! 

Hey guys, I know many have received Northwestern (NUIN) interview invitations earlier on and there has recently been a wave of rejections. Does anyone know what it means to not have heard from them - and whether it is worth waiting or is it rather unlikely to get off a wait-list? I am really hoping to finalize my travel plans soon!

I'm not sure what's going on there but I think their first interview session for is coming up! (I think it might be next week?). I would just call/email them and ask at this point. Especially if you are abroad and have to make specific travel arrangements!

I'm not sure what's going on there but I think their first interview session for is coming up! (I think it might be next week?). I would just call/email them and ask at this point. Especially if you are abroad and have to make specific travel arrangements!

I just did and I really hope they reply, they haven't been very responsive!