Applying for Neuroscience/Neurobiology Ph.D. programs for Fall 2015

NWFreeheel11

If I am not wrong, Google Scholar is the easiest way to get a prof's H-index (: (profs have google scholar profiles)

Edit: yikes i take that back not all Profs have Google Scholar profiles. But for those who do its still a quick and easy check.

I have always used Google Scholar to look at h-indices, but the article PeterPanComplex posted says that Web of Science has the h-index for ANY author. As you noticed, Google Scholar only has it for those who have created a Google profile, and authors have to manually add their papers to compute the h-index (mine is 1 haha).

EDIT: I figured it out! Go here for an explanation: http://libguides.utdallas.edu/content.php?pid=77218&sid=572087

Basically, I had to connect to the Web of Science database (from MY university's library site, not UT Dallas). This is step 1.

Then search by author, last name + initial(s)

Then click "Create citation report" in the upper right.

The h-index is shown to the right of the pub bar-charts.

Edited by pasteltomato

Undergrad Institution: Large Research Oriented State School

Major(s): BS Agricultural Biotechnology

Minor(s): Biological Sciences and Psychology

GPA in Major: ~3.0
Overall GPA: 3.21
Position in Class: Not sure, probably top 30%

Type of Student: Domestic Male

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q:165
V:165
W:4.0

Research Experience:
Undergrad – 1.5 years molecular genetics. Completed an independent project on the effects of heat shock on polyadenylation in plants, synthesized and sequenced cDNA and analyzed sequencing data. Presented results at symposium, as well as drafted a written report (unpublished)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean’s List last semester (and hardest semester), graduated in honors program

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Just my paid research position, undergraduate research assistant
Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Was severely injured my junior year. Was struck in the face with a rock which left me with a microhyphema in my left eye, blinded me in that eye for over a month, completely concaved my left frontal sinus cavity, and caused multiple orbital fractures. I had to move home with my parents to recuperate after my very serious surgery to repair all the fractures and my vision in my left eye was not fully healed for 6 months. I had to drop out of most of my courses that semester, but some professors let me do work at home and submit online. Others I took an incomplete in and finished over the summer, while others I had to take a medical withdrawal and retake. Despite my vision impairment, I went ahead and scheduled for courses the next semester, fall of my senior year, and had to take 18+ hours my final two semesters to graduate on time, which I somehow did. I finished with my best academic semester (3.8 GPA) while taking population genetics, molecular genetics, cell bio, the brain and behavior (psych), and completing/presenting my independent research project (required for my major). I discussed this extensively in my SOP, as the time I spent at home really let me think about my future and that’s when I decided to get my s**t together, take school more seriously, and when I decided to not apply for pharmacy school, but instead go the neuroscience rout.

Special Bonus Points: Graduating on time despite my injury, and finishing with a 3.8 in my last and most difficult semester.

Applying to Where:

Vanderbilt – IGP
Emory – neuroscience
Kentucky – Behavioral Neuroscience and Psychopharmacology
Louisville – Translational neuroscience
UTHSC – IBSP/neuroscience track
Purdue – PULSE
VCU – Biomedical Sciences Doctoral Program / neuroscience
WVU – IGP
Baylor COM – neuroscience or human and molecular genetics
NYU – Neuroscience
Albert Einstein – grad program in Biomedical Sciences
CUNY – Psychology PhD (Behavioral Neuroscience)
SUNY Downstate – Dept of Neural and Behavioral Science
USC - Neuroscience
ASU – Neuroscience
City of Hope – Irell and Manella Biomedical Sciences / neuroscience
UAB - Neuroscience

Got denied at Purdue pretty early, almost missed the deadline and was forced to use a longer POS than requested that I had written for another program. I changed the necessities obviously but could not write a SOP specifically for their program and it was way too long for their requirements so that most likely did me in. Also just found out I was denied for an interview at emory, but I kind of expected that. At Baylor, my application has been passed from neuroscience to molecular and human genetics (my second choice program), so we’ll see how that goes.

I’ve been invited for an interview at WVU on Jan 21-23 and at VCU on Feb 5-7. Haven’t heard from anyone else.
I’m really wondering what my chances are at Vandy. I am from Kentuycky and just 45 minutes from Nashville. I was admitted to Vandy for undergrad and was offered the Cornelius Vanderbilt scholarship, but turned it down to go to UK, because I am an idiot and have bled blue since the womb. By far the worst decision of my life. Anyway, I am dying to make up for that mistake and get down to Nashville/Vandy. I talked about how much I have regretted turning down the CV scholarship in my SOP, hopefully it will make a difference.

Thoughts?

Has anyone heard back from NYU Neural Science (or even applied to)? I saw in the Results page 1 invite to interview and 1 rejection. Nothing else.

I was the one with the rejection, just got the email 30 minutes ago. I only applied in case I wanted to stay local, looks like I'm moving now :).

I was the one with the rejection, just got the email 30 minutes ago. I only applied in case I wanted to stay local, looks like I'm moving now :).

Congrats on moving!! I don't really love NY, but I applied because the program seemed great and I have family nearby. Now every time I see an email on my inbox I think it's a rejection from them, lol. Do you mind me asking, was it a generic email? Thanks in advance!

Congrats on moving!! I don't really love NY, but I applied because the program seemed great and I have family nearby. Now every time I see an email on my inbox I think it's a rejection from them, lol. Do you mind me asking, was it a generic email? Thanks in advance!

Thank you! After 22 years of living here, I'm out hahaha. All jokes aside though, it is a great program with very cool research going on, I wish the best of luck to you. The email I received went as follows

"Your application has been received and carefully reviewed. We regret to inform you that we are not able to extend an offer of admission. Please be aware that the applications for admission this year are particularly strong, and we have been unable to welcome all of our promising candidates for admission."

Soo yea, very generic hahaha.

Thank you! After 22 years of living here, I'm out hahaha. All jokes aside though, it is a great program with very cool research going on, I wish the best of luck to you. The email I received went as follows

"Your application has been received and carefully reviewed. We regret to inform you that we are not able to extend an offer of admission. Please be aware that the applications for admission this year are particularly strong, and we have been unable to welcome all of our promising candidates for admission."

Soo yea, very generic hahaha.

Thank you!!

OHSU asked me if I wanted to fly in a day early, so I said yes -- an extra day in my hometown! But now I see it as an extra day of scrutiny.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why a school would offer to fly an applicant in a day early?

OHSU asked me if I wanted to fly in a day early, so I said yes -- an extra day in my hometown! But now I see it as an extra day of scrutiny.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why a school would offer to fly an applicant in a day early?

Could be that the people you're interviewing with have way too many people for one day, and they want to spread it out better by having you come early.

Could be that the people you're interviewing with have way too many people for one day, and they want to spread it out better by having you come early.

I'm not sure. An earlier email said that all interviews would be conducted on the 2nd day of the visit, and this email just asked about arriving a day earlier than the official visit starts. Maybe it's intended for east coast interviewees/ anyone who might be especially exhausted after a long flight. My flight is less than an hour long...

Thanks for the input though --  maybe you're right and arriving early means leaving early. 

EDIT: Just checked the email and it doesn't say anywhere that interviews are on the 2nd day, so nevermind that.

Edited by pasteltomato

I'm not sure. An earlier email said that all interviews would be conducted on the 2nd day of the visit, and this email just asked about arriving a day earlier than the official visit starts. Maybe it's intended for east coast interviewees/ anyone who might be especially exhausted after a long flight. My flight is less than an hour long...

Thanks for the input though --  maybe you're right and arriving early means leaving early. 

EDIT: Just checked the email and it doesn't say anywhere that interviews are on the 2nd day, so nevermind that.

They offered me an early arrival as well, but it sounds like the interview will still be conducted March 1-3... not sure if additional activities will be offered if you arrive early, but I don't think the interview will be moved up to a Sunday. I was guessing that they are just trying to sell you on Portland/ make it more convenient  :)

Edited by GABA-daba-doo

They offered me an early arrival as well, but it sounds like the interview will still be conducted March 1-3... not sure if additional activities will be offered if you arrive early, but I don't think the interview will be moved up to a Sunday. I was guessing that they are just trying to sell you on Portland/ make it more convenient  :)

I didn't even think about that -- their visit is on an odd set of days. Well, I wouldn't mind enjoying Portland for an extra day :)

Has anyone heard back from NYU Neural Science (or even applied to)? I saw in the Results page 1 invite to interview and 1 rejection. Nothing else.

I got an interview invite but I couldn't make it, so they are offering to Skype interview me

Undergrad Institution: Large Research Oriented State School

Major(s): BS Agricultural Biotechnology

Minor(s): Biological Sciences and Psychology

GPA in Major: ~3.0

Overall GPA: 3.21

Position in Class: Not sure, probably top 30%

Type of Student: Domestic Male

Q:165

V:165

W:4.0

Research Experience:

Undergrad – 1.5 years molecular genetics. Completed an independent project on the effects of heat shock on polyadenylation in plants, synthesized and sequenced cDNA and analyzed sequencing data. Presented results at symposium, as well as drafted a written report (unpublished)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean’s List last semester (and hardest semester), graduated in honors program

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Just my paid research position, undergraduate research assistant

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Was severely injured my junior year. Was struck in the face with a rock which left me with a microhyphema in my left eye, blinded me in that eye for over a month, completely concaved my left frontal sinus cavity, and caused multiple orbital fractures. I had to move home with my parents to recuperate after my very serious surgery to repair all the fractures and my vision in my left eye was not fully healed for 6 months. I had to drop out of most of my courses that semester, but some professors let me do work at home and submit online. Others I took an incomplete in and finished over the summer, while others I had to take a medical withdrawal and retake. Despite my vision impairment, I went ahead and scheduled for courses the next semester, fall of my senior year, and had to take 18+ hours my final two semesters to graduate on time, which I somehow did. I finished with my best academic semester (3.8 GPA) while taking population genetics, molecular genetics, cell bio, the brain and behavior (psych), and completing/presenting my independent research project (required for my major). I discussed this extensively in my SOP, as the time I spent at home really let me think about my future and that’s when I decided to get my s**t together, take school more seriously, and when I decided to not apply for pharmacy school, but instead go the neuroscience rout.

Special Bonus Points: Graduating on time despite my injury, and finishing with a 3.8 in my last and most difficult semester.

Applying to Where:

Vanderbilt – IGP

Emory – neuroscience

Kentucky – Behavioral Neuroscience and Psychopharmacology

Louisville – Translational neuroscience

UTHSC – IBSP/neuroscience track

Purdue – PULSE

VCU – Biomedical Sciences Doctoral Program / neuroscience

WVU – IGP

Baylor COM – neuroscience or human and molecular genetics

NYU – Neuroscience

Albert Einstein – grad program in Biomedical Sciences

CUNY – Psychology PhD (Behavioral Neuroscience)

SUNY Downstate – Dept of Neural and Behavioral Science

USC - Neuroscience

ASU – Neuroscience

City of Hope – Irell and Manella Biomedical Sciences / neuroscience

UAB - Neuroscience

Got denied at Purdue pretty early, almost missed the deadline and was forced to use a longer POS than requested that I had written for another program. I changed the necessities obviously but could not write a SOP specifically for their program and it was way too long for their requirements so that most likely did me in. Also just found out I was denied for an interview at emory, but I kind of expected that. At Baylor, my application has been passed from neuroscience to molecular and human genetics (my second choice program), so we’ll see how that goes.

I’ve been invited for an interview at WVU on Jan 21-23 and at VCU on Feb 5-7. Haven’t heard from anyone else.

I’m really wondering what my chances are at Vandy. I am from Kentuycky and just 45 minutes from Nashville. I was admitted to Vandy for undergrad and was offered the Cornelius Vanderbilt scholarship, but turned it down to go to UK, because I am an idiot and have bled blue since the womb. By far the worst decision of my life. Anyway, I am dying to make up for that mistake and get down to Nashville/Vandy. I talked about how much I have regretted turning down the CV scholarship in my SOP, hopefully it will make a difference.

Thoughts?

Hi there,

First, congrats on your upcoming interviews! 

As for the other schools, I can't really say. I looked at the results section at vanderbilt, and it seems that they have already sent out a lot of interviews. Without an interview, the likelihood of being accepted is very slim. I also don't think it will make a big difference if you were accepted or not as an undergrad with a scholarship, but if it does? all the more power to you! If Vanderbilt is your top choice, and the other schools don't really seem like a fit, maybe a masters first would be the way to go. That way you can show you can do the coursework, and you are committed. I hope this helps and good luck.

A hope-not-too-late hi to everyone! Anybody pursuing cognitive / computational neuroscience here? Also, would love to connect with peer interviewees!

Undergrad Institution: Top school in China

Major(s): physics
Minor(s): psychology
GPA in Major: ~3.6
Overall GPA: 3.6
Position in Class: No class rank given
Type of Student: international female

Q: 167
V: 161
W: 3.0 

Research Experience:

independent decision-making modeling project from Jun 2014 until now, with a NYU professor. Working towards a paper.

5 months independent project on machine learning. Nothing really came out.

1 year astronomy research. Nothing really came out.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:

nothing...?

Applying to Where:

Princeton - neuroscience

NYU - neuroscience

Berkeley - neuroscience(but was switched into psychology program)

UCSD - cognitive science

Columbia - neuroscience (medical center)

Rochester - brain and cognitive science

Hey all,

Just found out about this site, and I am happy to hear about everyone in the same boat as me!

I've heard from 4 of 12 schools (dear lord, those applications got rough after a while), but I'm happy to have 4 interviews lined up! It looks like a few of you will be in Denver early February, and I look forward to meeting you! I'll be in Albuquerque the week before, and at UCLA later on in February. 

Good luck to everyone!

Hey all,

Just found out about this site, and I am happy to hear about everyone in the same boat as me!

I've heard from 4 of 12 schools (dear lord, those applications got rough after a while), but I'm happy to have 4 interviews lined up! It looks like a few of you will be in Denver early February, and I look forward to meeting you! I'll be in Albuquerque the week before, and at UCLA later on in February. 

Good luck to everyone!

Welcome!

See you on February 5th!

Hi there,

First, congrats on your upcoming interviews!

As for the other schools, I can't really say. I looked at the results section at vanderbilt, and it seems that they have already sent out a lot of interviews. Without an interview, the likelihood of being accepted is very slim. I also don't think it will make a big difference if you were accepted or not as an undergrad with a scholarship, but if it does? all the more power to you! If Vanderbilt is your top choice, and the other schools don't really seem like a fit, maybe a masters first would be the way to go. That way you can show you can do the coursework, and you are committed. I hope this helps and good luck.

Thanks for the info. Yeah I've seen on the results page that a lot of interviews were sent out in December. But I also saw that a couple were sent out last week, and their final deadline isn't until the fifteenth, so I'm still hopeful. But I submitted my application on November 3 so I just don't know what to think