UC Berkeley Applicants

FaultyPowers

Uggghhhh, you've got me checking my email and the results survey every 60 seconds for updates.  Nothing yet.  I'm going to be certifiably insane by the time this is all over.

What is up with that UC Berkeley Anthro/Archaeo MA acceptance? That's not a thing. THAT'S NOT A THING!!!!!

Yoooo...my bad. That was me. I wasn't sure what to put since they have that joint Master's ----> PhD program and I'm just now graduating with my BA. Sorry for the confusion/panic I've cause some people  :lol:

Yoooo...my bad. That was me. I wasn't sure what to put since they have that joint Master's ----> PhD program and I'm just now graduating with my BA. Sorry for the confusion/panic I've cause some people  :lol:

No worries - I think we're all freaking out about everything application-related right now.  But, I think people only say they've been admitted to an MA program if it's a terminal MA program.  Anyway, congratulations!

Just found this thread. Berkeley is my biggest reach/best fit also, and if cost of living weren't so high it would be my pie-in-the-sky first choice. For reference, I applied to the medical anthro program to work with Nancy Scheper-Hughes, Paul Rabinow, or Lawrence Cohen. Probably should have gone with primary work at UCSF and mentioned Vincanne Adams in my app, but had a major lapse in common sense because it was a last-minute scramble to get that one in. Ah, well...nothing to do now but keep waiting...

Just found this thread. Berkeley is my biggest reach/best fit also, and if cost of living weren't so high it would be my pie-in-the-sky first choice. For reference, I applied to the medical anthro program to work with Nancy Scheper-Hughes, Paul Rabinow, or Lawrence Cohen. Probably should have gone with primary work at UCSF and mentioned Vincanne Adams in my app, but had a major lapse in common sense because it was a last-minute scramble to get that one in. Ah, well...nothing to do now but keep waiting...

I also applied to the joint med program! UCSF as a home base only accepts students every other year (to my knowlege) and this was not one of those years. I noted Cori Hayden, Laurence Cohen, and Seth Holmes. 

Have you had any contact with anyone at berkeley, however informal--> interview style?

Just found this thread! Did anyone else apply to cultural anthro at Berkeley? I applied to 8 schools and got 3 rejections so far. I'm terrified of not getting in anywhere...

Y'know...I think I'm going to email the DGS today. The application deadline was December! And I gather from the results page that they send out acceptance in the beginning of February and make you wait a month for rejections. I'm fence-sitting ever so slightly but I think I'm gonna do it. Frankly I'm sick of my mom saying "But you don't knoooooooow it's a rejection!"

At this point I would call and check up...that's what I did cause it got close to April deadline for me and still hadn't heard and needed to know to let other programs know, so then they could let others know...domino effect!

Screw it, I've emailed. I'm guessing they're out of office today but if I haven't heard by Wednesday I'm going to call. I'm not waiting three months for a decision if I can help it!

Absolutely agree. I don't think we're going to like what we hear, but it will be nice to have it settled.

I would be SHOCKED if it were anything other than a rejection, but I have zero tolerance for this staggered announcement policy. If you want to allow room for people to decline a position so that you can open it up to other applicants you create a WAIT LIST. If you only get one shot at a candidate and then lose their spot if they decline (which is shockingly inefficient but also seems to be the norm), then why the f%*#k don't you notify everybody at once!? Intolerable!!

FYI, the grad coordinator, Ned, just got back to me saying that "everyone will be officially notified before the end of the month". 

So, not too much help there. He didn't give me any specifics about my application status either.

....boo.

yeah..... I mean, I sort of guessed based on the fact there are like zero (okay, there is one ;) ) notices up on the results page and berkeley is a pretty friggin popular program to apply to.

whelp. I'm much less worried now that my other apps are doing okay, so, they can take their sweet time. no skin off my nose. 

Website won't let me quote! Trogdor, your one of the Northwestern interviewees! Good luck! I was a UVA interviewee in January and I'm waiting on a decision. Duke and WashU were long shots, and Berkeley med anthro was a huge reach! I've got one offer in the bag though, but I'm hoping I get lucky.

Congrats on UMich!

Edited by PurpleZephyr

Website won't let me quote! Trogdor Burninator, you're one of the Northwestern interviewees! Good luck! I was a UVA interviewee in January and I'm waiting on a decision. Duke and WashU were long shots, and Berkeley med anthro was a huge reach! I've got one offer in the bag though, but I'm hoping I get lucky.

Congrats on UMich!

Edited by PurpleZephyr