Professor not accepting, but my application is complete. What to do?

Ilspflouz

Hi everyone,

Quick question. Due to a medical emergency this year, I didn't start seriously working on applications until late in the game (I was out all of September and a good chunk of October). When I started, I thought it was better to spend time on my application materials (SOP, GRE's, nailing down schools, etc) instead of emailing professors - so I just skipped that step for many of my schools. Instead I checked websites and, unless someone was listed on the website as not taking students, I decided to apply. One of these schools is North Carolina State U. I found someone who is a great fit for me there, but never emailed them. When I checked the website originally, I swear I saw the prof I want listed as taking students so I began the application. Now the application is due in January and is complete (recommendations included) except for my personal statement.

Here's the problem: I am working on the personal statement for this school, and therefore went back to the website to get info on the prof/program that I could mention. However, I noticed while I was there that the list of professors accepting on their website is totally different than it was when I originally saw it. The professor I want to apply to is not mentioned anymore.  I checked and sure enough - she has a first year grad student. So I'm thinking I just saw the website before they updated it for this year. Now I don't know what to do. Like I said, my application is nearly done and my recommenders all sent in a letter to this program. I also already paid to send NCSU my GRE scores. I suppose I don't have a definite "no" that this person isn't accepting, but I feel like if they were they definitely were they would be listed on the website with the other faculty listed as "definitely accepting." Should I finish this statement and apply to the school or just leave this application alone and cut my losses? This is a program that would have been one of my top choices if I had gotten an interview. I know this is my fault for not emailing or checking on this program more, but hindsight is 20/20 I guess. :-/

Any feedback will be appreciated. Thanks in advance everyone. 

Edited by aliasmel

I'd e-mail the prof and explain the same - albeit more eloquently and in less detail, and see what they say or recommend. 

Sometimes professors' interests aren't complete on the websites, too. I found out a lot more about POI's by talking with them, and having them refer me to other POI's who, based on the website data, I hadn't originally considered as being the best "fit."

I agree that you can just politely inquire via email (don't tell them the whole story about why you are emailing so late etc.). Also, are there other professors you would be interested in? I would be hesitant to apply to a school where there was only one single professor I would want to work with! If there are other people you could work with and you can afford the application fee, then why not apply and see!