transferring undergrad school and getting into grad school

fruitbat

Sorry, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post but please let me know if there's a better forum.

Basically i transferred out senior year of college to state college bc I didn't feel confident about my personal and academic skills and wanted more time to work on them more (had bad social anxiety up until junior year and also switched to a new major junior year). I had only two semesters left at my old school and now have four semesters at my new school.

now i don't think that was a good decision to transfer image-wise, bc i am contemplating grad school in the field. i was wondering how it would look to transfer back to my old school ('to keep the record straight' so to speak) or would it look better to stay at my new school? i finished my first semester at my new school, so if i stay, i will have two full semesters + three courses. If I go back, I may be able to finish in one full semester + one course/two courses.

so my transcript if I continue at my new school would look like this:

old school

freshman year fall and spring - old major

sophomore year fall - old major,

sophomore year spring - withdraw/leave from uni (personal issues)

junior year fall - old major + new major

junior year spring - old major + new major

new school

senior year fall - new major

senior year spring - new major + electives

5th year fall - new major (technically could graduate but need in-res credits) + electives

5th year spring - electives

if I go back, my transcript will look like this:

old school

freshman year fall and spring - old major

sophomore year fall - old major,

sophomore year spring - withdrawals (personal issues)

junior year fall - old major + new major

junior year spring - old major + new major

new school

senior year fall - new major

old school

5th year fall - new major

5th year spring - one course or two courses in new major

In your opinion which seems like the better choice image-wise for a grad school applicant? i suppose transferring out in the first place may hurt my application but if i frame it terms of an immature decision? More importantly, i'm considering transferring back so would like to know if that just looks worse or if looks any better than staying here... I really appreciate any comments on this.

I don't know what transferring back will look like, but I did transfer after my junior year and finished a BA at a different university. It didn't come up at all during the interview process. I also had LORs from each university.

Hi Vene,

Thanks for your reply. How long did you take at your new uni and did you explain in a personal statement about why you transferred?

I took a year to finish the degree (it was practically the same major as my previous one). In my SOP I just mentioned that I spent a bit of time working before I finished a bachelors. I didn't try to further explain or justify it.

I took a year to finish the degree (it was practically the same major as my previous one). In my SOP I just mentioned that I spent a bit of time working before I finished a bachelors. I didn't try to further explain or justify it.

That's good to know. So everything else worked out for you (letters, scores, research, other application parts)?

That's good to know. So everything else worked out for you (letters, scores, research, other application parts)?

Yeah, I think my application package was fine. Regardless, I'm in a PhD program now. I had about a 3.5 GPA, around 80th percentile for my GRE verbal and quant scores, a year of industrial research, and letters from two professors (one from each university) plus my then supervisor.

Yeah, I think my application package was fine. Regardless, I'm in a PhD program now. I had about a 3.5 GPA, around 80th percentile for my GRE verbal and quant scores, a year of industrial research, and letters from two professors (one from each university) plus my then supervisor.

I see, so you still had support from your previous uni and a year of work. Thanks for your response!

Many of my family, friends, and myself included have transferred with no negative repercussions in being accepted to a wide variety of professional/graduate schools. There are so many reasons for transferring, and as long as your SOP briefly touches upon it there should not be a problem.

I transferred twice. The first time, after my first semester as a freshman. The second time, as a rising junior beginning my third year of college. I've never had any negative repercussions from transferring. But I would suggest you stay were you are.

• 2 weeks later...