Family with Grad School

KB0808

Hello everyone -

Know that I am likely in the minority here since I am an older applicant but any advice on balancing family and PhD program? I am fairly confident I will get into a program. I have been working in VA/DOD research for 5 years and PI of my own small grant, Co-I of a large grant and have an MA and LPC with competitive scores - but I will also be 8 months pregnant during interviews!! I know they technically cannot judge me on this but there it is obviously out there. I also have a 1 year old at home (my husband and I decided to take turns getting PhDs - he graduates this Spring woohoo). I am the age of most junior faculty that struggle with the same balance but in talking with a professor I know professionally and personally at one of the universities, she said that none of their previous PhD students have come into the program as parents. She didn't seem too concerned but was stating it as a fact and a unique challenge. Maybe I am just being paranoid!

Maybe I am just being paranoid!

i think you're just being paranoid. since i started graduate school we've had 3 expectant mothers (one of whom already had her child) and 2 moms with small children. i dunno how they do it but, to be honest, but i've seen enough of it to know its doable. 

plus grad students offices can be improvised as temporary daycares!!! :D (i dunno, maybe i just really like children cuz i think they're fun)

Congratulations!!! I wouldn't worry too much- I think that's one of the perks of being in psychology! Most professors I have worked with have been more than supportive towards students who are starting their own family. 

If the program(for some reason) does frown upon accepting pregnant students, I would steer away from it and put my tuition money elsewhere! Pregnancy and grad school is a common combination. We are there for 5-8 years and many of us work a few years before going into graduate school- meaning majority of us are going to be in the prime baby-making years of our lives while doing a Ph.D. The only thing I would suggest, is to make sure that the program you are getting into a) supports their students with children and b)offer health insurance. I actually asked these questions during my interview with the current graduate students and they all told me it was perfectly fine. 

Good luck and all the best!

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the others--many adult students in long-term programs either have kids upon entering or during. I wouldn't sweat it. It's great being in psychology and related disciplines...most professors are very supportive of students' various lifestyle choices, even if they're different from the ones they made. :) (And congrats! Being a parent of two is a singularly fabulous experience.)

Edited by shrinkgirl