Waiting Game Fall 2015

GhostsBeforeBreakfast

Me! I'm interested in collecting/curatorial practice in non-gallery/museum spaces (I'm focusing on hospital art collections in North America for my PhD). Inevitably I'll run into some modernist content, I'd assume, but it's not my goal.

What a cool interest/dissertation topic! I'm interested in the history and ethics of collecting and displaying colonial Latin American art (I'm more interested in working as a curator than as a professor),  but I've never really thought much about art in hospital collections or really other corporate collections. Although when I was at the doctor a while ago I did notice they had art around the building (it looked to be part of an "official" collection) - it was sort of sadly displayed though, with no lighting and tiny, basically unreadable labels.

What a cool interest/dissertation topic! I'm interested in the history and ethics of collecting and displaying colonial Latin American art (I'm more interested in working as a curator than as a professor),  but I've never really thought much about art in hospital collections or really other corporate collections. Although when I was at the doctor a while ago I did notice they had art around the building (it looked to be part of an "official" collection) - it was sort of sadly displayed though, with no lighting and tiny, basically unreadable labels.

I'm trying to help fix that ;)

In a daze, upon waking, I thought I had an e-mail from Princeton. This is madness. 

:( I think that we are all in that place. This waiting game is the worst.

In a daze, upon waking, I thought I had an e-mail from Princeton. This is madness. 

:( I think that we are all in that place. This waiting game is the worst.

Agree and agreed!  I keep getting to 5:00/6:00 and thinking, well now what am I going to do until tomorrow morning.... every week/day makes the anxiety go up!

I live in Australia - so I know the email will come over night. This means I wake up every morning and frantically check my emails. Not the most relaxing way to start the day!

Hi Queen HM,

Sorry it took me so long to respond. I've been a bit busy. My focus is 18th-century France.

Any news yet?!  

Kind of! I posted on the results page, I received an email from my POI and I think I'm on their "unofficial" waitlist. She said UNC doesn't do an official waitlist but their first offers have gone out. If anyone random is out there reading and wants to know more I'm happy to discuss over PM. Or if you got an offer and you already know you're not going, please let them know!

If the person who posted about UVA is around, did you receive an email from a professor or just a generic one to check their website?

I will say that I read some great things on here about the application process, but since then this website is just making me crazy and yet, I apparently lack the self-discipline to stop checking. I'm thinking tomorrow might have a lot of news coming in, hopefully more good than bad.

Kind of! I posted on the results page, I received an email from my POI and I think I'm on their "unofficial" waitlist. She said UNC doesn't do an official waitlist but their first offers have gone out. If anyone random is out there reading and wants to know more I'm happy to discuss over PM. Or if you got an offer and you already know you're not going, please let them know!

If the person who posted about UVA is around, did you receive an email from a professor or just a generic one to check their website?

I will say that I read some great things on here about the application process, but since then this website is just making me crazy and yet, I apparently lack the self-discipline to stop checking. I'm thinking tomorrow might have a lot of news coming in, hopefully more good than bad.

Congrats!! That is so exciting! If you end up going to UNC, I would be happy to give you some tips about the area. 

I'm in the U.S. and I still do this.  :)   :(

I think the waiting period brings out all our neuroticisms! Checking email, checking gradcafe, second guessing SoPs/interviews etc. :wacko:

My fingers are crossed for you Queen HM re the waitlist at UNC.

Edited by Nesbit

Congrats to the UofT admit. :D

They were super fast, considering that the deadline was exactly one month ago. 

Thanks! It was a super pleasant surprise yesterday. I feel very fortunate to have the pressure taken off so early in the season. 

Thanks! It was a super pleasant surprise yesterday. I feel very fortunate to have the pressure taken off so early in the season. 

Congrats! So lucky to get such an early answer!

Can you give us some details? who will you be working with, who sent you the acceptance email (secretary/POI...), if you know if they sent all the acceptance emails all out together, are you canaadian or american or international and whatever else you can think of :)

thanks in advance!

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted so far! 

I have a question for anyone that's been around here for a while: I was looking through some of the old art history threads and noticed that the past year's "waiting game" threads seem to have been much more active than this year's. Do you think that less people are applying to art history graduate programs this year? (Or id iy just that less art history people are posting here for whatever reason?)

Congrats! So lucky to get such an early answer!

Can you give us some details? who will you be working with, who sent you the acceptance email (secretary/POI...), if you know if they sent all the acceptance emails all out together, are you canaadian or american or international and whatever else you can think of :)

thanks in advance!

Most important bit first: the letter said that they finalized their acceptance list yesterday. I was emailed initially by the DGS, so I expect that he's sending the acceptances out in a batch together, but I dunno how efficiently he's working through them. What I can definitely tell you is that the list of offers and wait list have been set.

I'm a medievalist by training, and pitched myself as such-- so I'm mostly looking at working with Adam Cohen and Jill Caskey. And, with the centre for medieval studies, UoT is basically a medievalist's paradise. But I've also got interests in gender/queer theory, visual theory, historiography, and method (I also studied philosophy as an undergrad, so I'm inevitably drawn to methodological/theoretical questions)-- I'm hoping eventually to see what kind of trouble I can make by putting gender & visual theory that comes out of contact with contemporary art in conversation with gender & visual theory that comes out of contact with medieval. 

(Oh, and I'm American.)

Congrats to those who have gotten acceptances! I still haven't heard back from any schools yet, so my anxiety level is rising. And I was wondering, does anyone know about interviews? Like is an interview usually always a prerequisite to being accepted?

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted so far! 

I have a question for anyone that's been around here for a while: I was looking through some of the old art history threads and noticed that the past year's "waiting game" threads seem to have been much more active than this year's. Do you think that less people are applying to art history graduate programs this year? (Or id iy just that less art history people are posting here for whatever reason?)

I would think that some departments actively discourage those applicants that they accept to share their news on outlets such as this one for a variety of reasons. And those students will probably stick to that, since they don't want to jeopardize anything.  

I would think that some departments actively discourage those applicants that they accept to share their news on outlets such as this one for a variety of reasons. And those students will probably stick to that, since they don't want to jeopardize anything.  

Yes, perhaps this may be true. However, I bought the CAA Directory of Graduate Programs in History of Art & Architecture.  There you can find the exact number of applicants, acceptances, the notification date, etc. 

Yes, perhaps this may be true. However, I bought the CAA Directory of Graduate Programs in History of Art & Architecture.  There you can find the exact number of applicants, acceptances, the notification date, etc. 

Sure. These are from years past and there may not be much change. But is everybody reading those?

Also, there are 'official' dates for when acceptances are sent out, and then they are those emails you may be getting a couple of weeks earlier by your POI or department head. 

Edited by Atlantis

Naive question, but what 'variety of reasons' do you have in mind?

Yeah, my question wasn't so much about the acceptances and rejections posted on the spreadsheet, but more about why there seems to be less people posting/having discussions in the art history forum. For instance, at about this time last year, the "Waiting Game" thread was close to 10 pages long already, and I was just curious about that.

Sure. These are from years past and there may not be much change. But is everybody reading those?

Also, there are 'official' dates for when acceptances are sent out, and then they are those emails you may be getting a couple of weeks earlier by your POI or department head.

Yes I agree that private correspondence should best be kept under wraps!

Congrats to those who have gotten acceptances! I still haven't heard back from any schools yet, so my anxiety level is rising. And I was wondering, does anyone know about interviews? Like is an interview usually always a prerequisite to being accepted?

My UG advisors were surprised that any humanities programs still did interviews. It is far more common in the sciences. Obviously a few programs still do them, but not all of them.  Also an interview is not a guarantee of acceptance.  

I do find it interesting that this board is less active than in years past. I hadn't even thought about people being warned off Gradcafe! I have to say, the resources hidden in this Art History board are terribly helpful. I have read through quite a few of the old application & waiting game threads, and find it weirdly comforting knowing that all those worried students are by and large all now in their MA/PhD programs. It's nice to think of the light at the end of the tunnel.

I was sorry to see all the Northwestern and USC rejections on the results page today. My fingers are crossed for everyone that more acceptances pop up this week!

Edited by Nesbit