Waiting Game Fall 2015

GhostsBeforeBreakfast

I instantly broke out into tears upon submitting the application to my first choice program. I needed to share that. The immense stress that I am sure many of us have gone through is coming to a close as we now wait for interviews, acceptances, and the dreaded denied admission letters. It's early yet but I felt it was time to make this thread. Good luck, everyone. Let us know how you're holding up and keep us updated.

Edited by SheisStellar

Submitting applications was one of the most nerve-wracking experiences of my life!  I chose programs whose faculty has had an influence on the development of my research interests, so my heart is set on each one.  Knowing that rejections are a possibility, however, I also applied for an internship abroad. Until decisions are made, it's all about keeping the anxiety at bay. 

Good luck, all!

SheisStellar - I too applied to Hunter.  :)

Edited by tangerine15

Thank you for the kind words, Tangerine.

I actually didn't apply to Hunter. Does it say I did anywhere? I know I spoke about it being a possible safety in the past. The schools I ended up applying to drastically changed from my original list. I ended up applying to 7 PhD programs and 2 MA Programs!

Edited by SheisStellar

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone else applying to U Chicago get an e-mail about applying to their FLAS fellowship? Is this a good sign or is this a generic offering?

I got an email about the same thing as well. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I also got an Emory interview...but have not heard anything from anyone else.  I kinda wish the schools would just notify you right away when they move you to the reject pile.  Why drag out the pain!!!  

Congrats to the Admits/Interviewees!  It had been eerily quiet on the "Giant Spreadsheet" until today. 

I don't know if they'll see this, but to the Ohio State Admit:  What is your focus and, if you don't mind, who are you going to work with?

Thanks!

Congratulations!!!! :)

I'm Canadian so PhD application season has only ended for me at McGill. Everybody else either extended their deadline (grr) or their deadline is in about 3 days. I've sent in all of my applications though so I'm officially in the waiting game.

Congrats to the Admits/Interviewees!  It had been eerily quiet on the "Giant Spreadsheet" until today. 

I don't know if they'll see this, but to the Ohio State Admit:  What is your focus and, if you don't mind, who are you going to work with?

Thanks!

OSU admit here. 

OSU is my safety school, but I am still excited to have gotten in! Should I attend OSU I will study Chinese painting with Prof. Andrews. 

However, my insides are burning with anxiety waiting for the other schools. 

This is the worst.

Thank you Queen HM! I was accepted into the Masters program. What area/professor did you apply to work in/with?

17th century British art with Tatiana String. How about you? There's such a small group of British art scholars in the US, not sure if that will work for me or against me.

OSU admit here. 

OSU is my safety school, but I am still excited to have gotten in! Should I attend OSU I will study Chinese painting with Prof. Andrews. 

However, my insides are burning with anxiety waiting for the other schools. 

This is the worst.

Congrats!!! I know it's still so early but I can't stop checking my email or the results board. It's making me crazy too. I just hope I get in somewhere but I'm trying to be realistic; cautiously optimistic is what I'm trying to achieve. I already have my masters and I've been working in the arts for seven years so I feel totally out of the academia loop.

Congratulations to the two Northwestern applicants who have so far been invited to interview! I also applied to that program.  If you see this, what are your respective areas and who did you apply to study with?

Also wanted to say that I got my first acceptance.  SUNY Buffalo's Visual Studies PhD program.  I know it is not Art History, but it is a related field. Very excited about it!

Hi c m,

Congrats on your first acceptance!!  I wasn't one of the people who applied to Northwestern, so I hope I didn't misinterpret your question as being posed to the general forum.

My area of expertise is American post-Holocaust art (generational theory/framework, identity, and the development of Holocaust iconography).  I only applied to three schools: Stanford, UChicago and UCLA.  Researchers in my specific field are kind of sparse (at least in art history), and I really didn't want to apply to programs I couldn't see myself attending.

Aren't Visual Studies and Art History essentially the same thing?  I thought the difference in names was mostly semantics/based on the university's choice of program description.

:-)

Hi Schwartz and thanks :)

There are some differences that are more than semantics.  To oversimplify it, Art History is specifically interested in the art-object while Visual Studies is interested in the image and the consumer/recipient/receiving culture and the relationship between.  Now that being said, there are a lot of Art Historians in Visual Studies programs and often Visual Studies people in Art History programs.  For my research interests, I am often aligned with Visual Studies but I have a very Art Historical approach.

And I was specifically interested in the NU's applicants' areas to see if they were contemporary people.  I received a positive email from a POI there that lends me to hope that I will get an interview, but you never know!

But I am interested in learning everyone's area, too.  Yours sounds very interesting! Have you ever looked at Lisa Saltzman's work at Bryn Mawr College?  I know she is interested in trauma and post-hollocaust art.  I am not super familiar with the area, but it sounds interesting and I definitely see some theoretical parallels to my own area of interest (queer art during the AIDS crisis and in the contemporary moment -- also interested in generational framework).  Keep me posted!

If either of you both end up at UChicago, let me know -- Chicago is where I live and I would be happy to give advice on where to live, things to do, etc.

Good luck!!

Edited by c m

Congrats c m on your acceptance at Buffalo. Jonathan Katz is awesome, and actually much more 'art historical' than you might at first expect him to be. But he sure has his own way of looking at the world. And I'm very excited for your research topic! You're not, by any chance, a current UChicago undergrad?!

17th century British art with Tatiana String. How about you? There's such a small group of British art scholars in the US, not sure if that will work for me or against me.

Congrats!!! I know it's still so early but I can't stop checking my email or the results board. It's making me crazy too. I just hope I get in somewhere but I'm trying to be realistic; cautiously optimistic is what I'm trying to achieve. I already have my masters and I've been working in the arts for seven years so I feel totally out of the academia loop.

I know exactly what you mean, I've been out for a few years as well and I am aching to get back...

My McGill status has been updated from "submitted" to "in review" 

And so begins the long-winded waiting process until about late-February, unless they are on their game this year!

Good luck to all of you returning applicants! :) I personally think it's an asset that you've been in the arts/cultural sector and are returning, as I imagine you're coming back with a really solid idea of what you want to do! 

Edited by happy little pill

To the person who was wait-listed at USC - did you get any other information in your email, like if they had already sent out acceptances or how many people they are taking this year? I'm sure I'm not the only who would appreciate any information you could provide.

Thanks!