Waiting Game Fall 2015

GhostsBeforeBreakfast

To the two people show were wait listed at the University of Minnesota…. Did you learn if all four applicants who were accepted were already notified? I saw one acceptance on the spreadsheet already. How many people are on the wait list? I would greatly appreciate any information about UM!

Thanks! 

My McGill status has been updated from "submitted" to "in review" 

And so begins the long-winded waiting process until about late-February, unless they are on their game this year!

Good luck to all of you returning applicants! :) I personally think it's an asset that you've been in the arts/cultural sector and are returning, as I imagine you're coming back with a really solid idea of what you want to do! 

Good luck to you, too!

My Cornell app just converted the application status from incomplete to complete, meaning they finally going to start looking at them -- it's not like I was looking at those online applications everyday already, ha!

Well, it seems like things are starting to trickle in. Congrats to all the recent Wisconsin admits! If the results history is anything to go by, next week should be an interesting one.

Anyone have any advice for an interview? My poi requested one later this week. She seems really nice, but i'm still nervous. I don't think it's going to be very formal.

ps, hi everyone. First time poster, long time reader. 

x

I personally perform better when I anticipate a formal interview, even if it doesn't end up being so formal. For me, the more neurotically prepared I am, the more I can unwind when I find out the conversation isn't playing out so intensely. But then I can still sound put-together when I find out the tone of the interview isn't so heavy.

Can I ask where the interview is? (You can PM me if you don't want to make it public!)

Congratulations to the two Northwestern applicants who have so far been invited to interview! I also applied to that program.  If you see this, what are your respective areas and who did you apply to study with?

Also wanted to say that I got my first acceptance.  SUNY Buffalo's Visual Studies PhD program.  I know it is not Art History, but it is a related field. Very excited about it!

Hello c m, Thank you so much! And congrats for your first admittance to Buffalo. I know how nervous it is to pass this tough season without any admissions. You are very lucky!

I am soon to have an interview with one of the faculty. My area of interest is the post-1945 contemporary art, especially around the identarian politics and representation of the margin. which is a very popular topic, and NU's faculty has a very strong lineup in this area. Additionally, Black aesthetic, and the imagery of the translatlantic slavery trade in art is what I am mostly interested in these days. I think this precedent scholarship can provide theoretical models for, though not entirely applicable to, different foci, like the nascent Asian diasporic art history. There are four POIs, Huey Copeland, Hannah Feldman, Christine Kiaers, and Krista Thompson in NU. 

I am also the one wait-listed in the University of Minnesota. I also love the faculty's active research in the modern and contemporary art history and historiography, of course especially Jane Blocker. I think it would sure be very excited to study her decent works, especially if you are considering the visual studies area. And as to the disciplinary gap, I personally do not divide the two disciplines, for I find virtually no practical differences between the two (which means there are theoretical differences, like many existing between art historical categories). Probably, the visual studies department would less demand an M.A. in art history degree, which many art history programs tacitly ask for.

SO, we will see what will happen this long February. I am so happy to share opinions and progress with you!

Edited by hjo84

To the two people show were wait listed at the University of Minnesota…. Did you learn if all four applicants who were accepted were already notified? I saw one acceptance on the spreadsheet already. How many people are on the wait list? I would greatly appreciate any information about UM!

Thanks! 

Hi there. I am currently on the wait-list and all I heard from Professor Canepa, the DGS, is that there are four admits. I strongly believe that they are all notified, but it's just a hunch. At this point, I see only two on the wait-list for there are two on the spreadsheet. U of Minnesota is a great program, and I am sure that the four admits will seriously consider when making a decision. So I plan not to think much of it until April. 

Hello c m, Thank you so much! And congrats for your first admittance to Buffalo. I know how nervous it is to pass this tough season without any admissions. You are very lucky!

I am soon to have an interview with one of the faculty. My area of interest is the post-1945 contemporary art, especially around the identarian politics and representation of the margin. which is a very popular topic, and NU's faculty has a very strong lineup in this area. Additionally, Black aesthetic, and the imagery of the translatlantic slavery trade in art is what I am mostly interested in these days. I think this precedent scholarship can provide theoretical models for, though not entirely applicable to, different foci, like the nascent Asian diasporic art history. There are four POIs, Huey Copeland, Hannah Feldman, Christine Kiaers, and Krista Thompson in NU. 

I am also the one wait-listed in the University of Minnesota. I also love the faculty's active research in the modern and contemporary art history and historiography, of course especially Jane Blocker. I think it would sure be very excited to study her decent works, especially if you are considering the visual studies area. And as to the disciplinary gap, I personally do not divide the two disciplines, for I find virtually no practical differences between the two (which means there are theoretical differences, like many existing between art historical categories). Probably, the visual studies department would less demand an M.A. in art history degree, which many art history programs tacitly ask for.

SO, we will see what will happen this long February. I am so happy to share opinions and progress with you!

Very interesting topic and NU is a very good program for your area -- good luck on your interview.  Those are the people I had applied to study with as well.  Two of them, anyways: Huey Copeland and Hannah Feldman and another faculty member outside the department.  Keep us posted on how it goes and I think based on your interests and the faculty there, you have a very good chance!

I am familiar with Jane Blockner's work, her work has been relevant to my own research at times!  I wrote my undergraduate thesis on Felix Gonzalez-Torres, and she is well published there.  For Buffalo, I applied there for Jonathan Katz, who is a really good fit for my area of interest.

Best of luck :)

Congrats c m on your acceptance at Buffalo. Jonathan Katz is awesome, and actually much more 'art historical' than you might at first expect him to be. But he sure has his own way of looking at the world. And I'm very excited for your research topic! You're not, by any chance, a current UChicago undergrad?!

Atlantis!

Sorry, I somehow missed this!  He is very art historical, as is Jasmina Tumbas, which is why I was attracted to the program.

I am not nor was I an undergrad at UChicago -- is that where you are now?

I personally perform better when I anticipate a formal interview, even if it doesn't end up being so formal. For me, the more neurotically prepared I am, the more I can unwind when I find out the conversation isn't playing out so intensely. But then I can still sound put-together when I find out the tone of the interview isn't so heavy.

Can I ask where the interview is? (You can PM me if you don't want to make it public!)

Thanks! that's really good advice.

i'll pm you now!

Any non-modernists out there?

Hi quatrefoil, my interests are in colonial Latin American and early modern Spain, as well as medieval Iberia. What about you? (Your avatar and name make me think Italian Renaissance...?)

And hello to everyone else! I've been lurking for a few days, but this is my first post. I'm glad to have found this forum because it seems like there are some great people and some information here, but I'm also a little not glad to have found this forum because it has been consuming way too much of my time! (And probably adding to my anxiety...)

I've just been accepted into my first program, which is actually one of my top choices. However, the funding situation does not look good...sigh. I'm pretty sure it's not me; it's just that the department is not well-funded itself. I've been nominated for a scholarship with tuition waiver, but I think to be considered for it I would have to accept the program's offer of admission before I will likely even hear back from some of my other top choice schools. I'm very happy to have been accepted somewhere (!!!), but also frustrated by this situation. Has anyone been in a similar situation? 

Hello all.

I've been a lurker for a few years, and have eased myself into Grad apps this year by just applying to one MA program. This was either a good idea or a terrible one. We shall see!

My fingers are crossed for everyone and I love seeing the acceptances come trickling in. Congrats to all who have received offers thus far!

Edited by Nesbit

Good luck Nesbit! I hope it was a great idea :) My fingers are crossed for you and everyone else, too.

And, we made it to Monday.  So it begins again, and the first week of February, as well!

Good luck!

I'm feeling the same way about February!  I've had one rejection and one acceptance, but I'm waiting to hear from 8 more... It also makes not just jumping at that one acceptance really difficult!  It would be such a relief to just know what I'm doing/where I'm moving/etc. and stop worrying/waiting/wondering.

Hi Schwartz! If you don't mind me asking, what professors at Chicago were you interested in? I'm also interested in post-war European art (mostly German.)

Hi Pastette,

Sorry to just now be getting to this!  Crazy week, and I'm a noob here.  

No problem at all - I'm primarily interested in working with W.J.T. Mitchell (dream on, I know!), as he's written so much about the study of the image/iconography, which aligns really well with my research.  I'd also be happy to work with Matthew Jesse Jackson and Christine Mehring.  I'm looking for an interdisciplinary program, too, so there are a number of scholars in the Center for Jewish Studies with whom I'd like to study.  

How about you?  Who would you like to work with? :-)

Yep, February is gonna be the longest month ever....  I haven't heard from any schools yet (applied to 7) and I keep checking my email and the results page a million times a day to see if anyone else has heard from those schools yet.  Yikes, the anxiety is getting to me and it is only the 2nd... patience is a virtue.

I am also a "non-modernist"- northern Italian baroque painting is my forte

I have a feeling that February is going to be a long month, y'all. 

I kinda felt like today was the day, but I feel that about every day.

generally, do you reckon that the dates unis sent out their results would be roughly the same this year? or are they all different times? do people who've applied over multiple years know?

Hi quatrefoil, my interests are in colonial Latin American and early modern Spain, as well as medieval Iberia. What about you? (Your avatar and name make me think Italian Renaissance...?)

And hello to everyone else! I've been lurking for a few days, but this is my first post. I'm glad to have found this forum because it seems like there are some great people and some information here, but I'm also a little not glad to have found this forum because it has been consuming way too much of my time! (And probably adding to my anxiety...)

I've just been accepted into my first program, which is actually one of my top choices. However, the funding situation does not look good...sigh. I'm pretty sure it's not me; it's just that the department is not well-funded itself. I've been nominated for a scholarship with tuition waiver, but I think to be considered for it I would have to accept the program's offer of admission before I will likely even hear back from some of my other top choice schools. I'm very happy to have been accepted somewhere (!!!), but also frustrated by this situation. Has anyone been in a similar situation? 

My focus is actually gothic France, with a side of antiquarianism, gothic revival, and historiography. I've recently begun reading up on colonial Latin American art, and it's super cool!

Hi Pastette,

Sorry to just now be getting to this!  Crazy week, and I'm a noob here.  

No problem at all - I'm primarily interested in working with W.J.T. Mitchell (dream on, I know!), as he's written so much about the study of the image/iconography, which aligns really well with my research.  I'd also be happy to work with Matthew Jesse Jackson and Christine Mehring.  I'm looking for an interdisciplinary program, too, so there are a number of scholars in the Center for Jewish Studies with whom I'd like to study.  

How about you?  Who would you like to work with? :-)

Sounds really cool! We've got some overlap!

Yep, February is gonna be the longest month ever....  I haven't heard from any schools yet (applied to 7) and I keep checking my email and the results page a million times a day to see if anyone else has heard from those schools yet.  Yikes, the anxiety is getting to me and it is only the 2nd... patience is a virtue.

I am also a "non-modernist"- northern Italian baroque painting is my forte

I keep checking as well, even though I know it still is a little early.  I only applied to four schools and one internship this year, and have only heard back from one thus far.  

There are a lot of "non-modernists" here.  I love Italian Baroque, but Italian Modern is more my jam. 

Any non-modernists out there?

Me! I'm interested in collecting/curatorial practice in non-gallery/museum spaces (I'm focusing on hospital art collections in North America for my PhD). Inevitably I'll run into some modernist content, I'd assume, but it's not my goal.