2015 Admissions General

I received two days ago my acceptance to the MS in Statistics in Virginia Tech. I was also admitted to Ohio State University and I will be attending to their Graduate Information Day. I will accept their offer once I know the results for Iowa State and Texas A&M (in case I am admitted to any of these, I might end up attending here), Purdue University is also great, but I have the impression Ohio and the other two are more prestigious.

However, something is bugging me. I am interested in econometrics, sampling and surveys, time series and environmental statistics. Somehow, I feel like Virginia Tech is better suited to my interests, but the program at Ohio seems to be better overall. In general, the reputation of Ohio is very good too.

What do you think about Virginia Tech and how does it fare against Ohio State?

I'm pretty sure Purdue is more highly ranked than Ohio State (at least according to USNWR). They also have a lot of professors that research time series. At any rate, at the end of the day it's about where you want to go and where you find to be the best fit.

I'm pretty sure Purdue is more highly ranked than Ohio State (at least according to USNWR). They also have a lot of professors that research time series. At any rate, at the end of the day it's about where you want to go and where you find to be the best fit.

Indeed it is, but right now I only have admission to Ohio and Virginia Tech. I had talked with the chair of the Department of Statistics at Iowa State and he recommended me to apply to Iowa S, but made no promises (a couple of exclassmates are there studying their PhD's) since they needed to review my whole file.

Hopefully everything will turn out fine and I will attend any of those four, which are excellent schools.

What leads you to believe CMU is notifying people today?

Their confirmation email you get when you submit your application to CMU had the following line in it: "All applicants will receive notification of their status by email no later than January 30. "

But it seems like that wasn't the case last year and it's looking like we're going to have to wait some more this year as well. 

Indeed it is, but right now I only have admission to Ohio and Virginia Tech. I had talked with the chair of the Department of Statistics at Iowa State and he recommended me to apply to Iowa S, but made no promises (a couple of exclassmates are there studying their PhD's) since they needed to review my whole file.

Hopefully everything will turn out fine and I will attend any of those four, which are excellent schools.

I forgot that this is for MS applications. I would suggest that you contact the departments you want to go to but haven't yet heard from and explain to them that you've already heard back from a few schools but you are more interested in attending school X and that you're wondering if they can expedite the decision process. Couldn't hurt at least. Although I'm sure you'll find that Columbus is a better city to live in than West Lafayette. Good luck to you.

I had called the UCLA stats department. They said we should know by Feb 1st. So all the best to everyone out there! That program hasn't been accepting many internationals and that is what concerns me.

Did you end up hearing from them? I saw there were more results on Saturday but I haven't heard anything yet. Maybe I should contact the department.

Did you end up hearing from them? I saw there were more results on Saturday but I haven't heard anything yet. Maybe I should contact the department.

Nope and I have panicked the whole weekend! Ya lets call the department (the student affairs number) and find out.

I called them up a while back and a lady told me that a number of rejections were sent over the weekend and if we haven't heard from them yet then " no news is good news ". 

I called them just now. I was told that no decision was made on my application yet, and they were still sending out invites and I should "sit tight for about a week or so." 

Hmm... just saw a UC Berkeley Biostatistics acceptance appear.

That one wasn't me but I just got an acceptance email for UC Berkeley also. The funding situation in the email does confuse me so I'll probably be sending an email to someone in their department soon.

For people getting offer from UC Berkeley, did you guys originally apply for PhD and got accepted to masters? or you guys originally applied to master program? I'm just wondering if the result for master program is out yet..

I applied for the MA since I thought they didn't take undergraduates into their PhD program straightaway anyways. Seems like those who applied for the PhD straight from undergrad got a different email since the other result on the search wrote down MA/PhD funded.

This thread is awfully quiet as compared to last year.  

Probably due to the fact that results seem to be coming in very slowly this year. I heard back from A&M almost two weeks ago now and not a single word from any other school. Thus far, of the 17 schools in my list, I have only seen results on TGC from A&M, UCLA, and Northwestern (only interviews and only international students). I hope I hear back from other schools soon before I have an anxiety attack. UMich rolled out around this time last year, so I hope there's some autocorrelation there because it's my first choice.

I've come to hate all emails unrelated to my PhD apps... Keep the lines clear people! I'm waiting on important messages. haha

This describes me to a T right now lol. I should just create a smart mailbox that filters out emails ending in .edu.