2015 Admissions General

Congrats! Mine was unofficial too. Email from a professor. Kind of cool that they do that actually. A lot more personal than "Congratulations! You have been admitted to XYZ."

Hear nothing, heart broken

I wouldn't worry yet. They really seem to be going one-by-one with these admissions. There have been very few results posted. Hang in there!

Definitely too early! Given the gaps between acceptances and the fact that they're doing such personalized emails, I think it's reasonable to expect more admissions in the next few days.

Edited by TenuousAtBest

Same here. I've been trying to think of some good questions to ask.

Some possible questions to consider:

1.  Is the department very social?  Do the students/profs/staff do stuff together outside of school?

2.  How common is it for new grad students struggle or fail?

3.  When they do struggle or fail what are the most common stumbling blocks? 

4.  What are the things you like most and least about the department, the university, and the town?

Some possible questions to consider:

1.  Is the department very social?  Do the students/profs/staff do stuff together outside of school?

2.  How common is it for new grad students struggle or fail?

3.  When they do struggle or fail what are the most common stumbling blocks? 

4.  What are the things you like most and least about the department, the university, and the town?

This is really useful. Thanks a lot!

Quiet here, too.  :\

edit: although, looking at results posted the last few years, it looks like they stagger the first wave of acceptances over 2-3 days.  so maybe all hope is not lost.

Edited by frsp

although, looking at results posted the last few years, it looks like they stagger the first wave of acceptances over 2-3 days.  so maybe all hope is not lost.

Yeah, this waiting game terrible. 

In case it's of any interest, I just had my phone call with the PSU professor today. It was pretty casual--he just asked about what got me interested in statistics, and then went on to talk a lot about the program. He pointed out one of the biggest strengths of PSU's department is the large diversity of research interests among the faculty. He also commented on its friendly, casual atmosphere. First year students all get funded through TA, but there are many opportunities for second year students, including joining one of the many research centers housed at PSU. A current PhD student is supposed to reach out with me in the coming days. Pretty impressed at the way they sell their university.

And there's a bunch of Columbia Statistics PhD acceptances out today. The dream is over for me I guess.

Only 5! Plus they came in waves over the last two years. Don't fret yet. I'm still waiting as well.

In case it's of any interest, I just had my phone call with the PSU professor today. It was pretty casual--he just asked about what got me interested in statistics, and then went on to talk a lot about the program. He pointed out one of the biggest strengths of PSU's department is the large diversity of research interests among the faculty. He also commented on its friendly, casual atmosphere. First year students all get funded through TA, but there are many opportunities for second year students, including joining one of the many research centers housed at PSU. A current PhD student is supposed to reach out with me in the coming days. Pretty impressed at the way they sell their university.

Me too. Their teaching load is lighter than other universities I've heard from. He suggested a research group that he thought I'd really like.

I wasn't seriously considering PSU until today, but my impression of the department really changed.

I wasn't seriously considering PSU until today, but my impression of the department really changed.

That's what they were hoping.. That's exactly why schools have profs do these recruitment calls.

We compete with other applicants for slots, and we beg on our applications and hope in hearts that the schools accept us.  But once the acceptances go out the shoe immediately shifts to the other foot.  Then it's the schools' turn to compete with each other and hope and beg the accepted students to pick them.

MLHopeful, I was accepted to Columbia as well. I agree that it seemed odd that there was no mention of a visit day. I just sent an email asking about it.

Unless they've changed things in the past couple years, they suggested that admitted students schedule an individual visit over a couple of weeks in March after their spring break. There was not one big recommended admitted student day the way some places like Berkeley, UW, Michigan do it. I ended up visiting Columbia the same time as a few others and they had us all follow the same itinerary of meeting with professors together, lunch with a few students, etc., but it was a Friday and unfortunately not many people were around that day.

I got into Berkeley!!!! They sent my letter out at 12:40 last night, which was pretty late. Visit days on March 9+10. This is really spectacular.

Congrats! Funny that you seemed to have lost all hope around this time last week.