2015 Admissions General

I applied to Iowa State, which is my top choice considering that Texas A&M seems impossible, and I have not received a reply. This was the only one PhD program that I applied because the head of the Department suggested I was a competitive candidate. Should I consider that I was not admitted to Iowa State or wait a little longer?  I am going to OSU this week, and it might be a good opportunity to accept their offer.

Also, for those going to OSU, we should meet.

@Karoku_valentine, are you planning to go to the UGA Information day?

Does Michigan do direct PhD admit for biostat? I got a phone call and I got accepted to Masters with a path to PhD with full funding. Did any get accepted to PhD straight up or does Michigan not do that?

A graduate student there tells me that Michigan does but only in very rare circumstances. She says that just 2 people of her current cohort were accepted straight to PhD. 

I applied to the Masters since I thought they didn't accept straight to PhD altogether. Interestingly though, on the followup email I received this morning from a faculty member, I was greeted with a congratulations for getting accepted to their PhD program with funding. Might just a be a typo.

@Karoku_valentine, are you planning to go to the UGA Information day?

Congratulations on all your admissions!!

No. I am going to Ohio State U Information day. I lied to my boss about having a wedding to attend (lol), so I was able to skip work for a couple of days. However, it would be very costly to attend two admit days. If anyone is going to OSU, we should meet at the hotel on Thursday.

@Double Shot. Thanks. I am asking because I saw a couple of admissions and some students were talking about it.

I applied to Iowa State, which is my top choice considering that Texas A&M seems impossible, and I have not received a reply. This was the only one PhD program that I applied because the head of the Department suggested I was a competitive candidate. Should I consider that I was not admitted to Iowa State or wait a little longer?  I am going to OSU this week, and it might be a good opportunity to accept their offer.

Also, for those going to OSU, we should meet.

@Karoku_valentine, I was accepted to Iowa State's PhD program, but I think that's mainly because I attend there now. I would certainly expect more offers to come out over the next few weeks. And I just declined Iowa State's offer today, so that at least opens up one more spot.

Iowa State is a fantastic place, so good choice, and good luck!  :)

@Karoku_valentine, I was accepted to Iowa State's PhD program, but I think that's mainly because I attend there now. I would certainly expect more offers to come out over the next few weeks. And I just declined Iowa State's offer today, so that at least opens up one more spot.

Iowa State is a fantastic place, so good choice, and good luck!  :)

Thanks! A friend of mine also studies there. His name is Guillermo, he was the one who first talked to me about Statistics as a possible specialization field, and here I am.

Congratulations on all your admissions!!

No. I am going to Ohio State U Information day. I lied to my boss about having a wedding to attend (lol), so I was able to skip work for a couple of days. However, it would be very costly to attend two admit days. If anyone is going to OSU, we should meet at the hotel on Thursday.

@Double Shot. Thanks. I am asking because I saw a couple of admissions and some students were talking about it.

Hey,

I've been spending time on this website checking out the admissions results, but haven't participated myself.  I was accepted to Iowa State's PhD program a couple of weeks ago, so there's some activity.   However, I haven't heard back from OSU yet.  It turns out, that I'm dating someone in the OSU stat department and I'll be in Columbus that weekend anyway.  

Now, I'm wondering:  Do you remember what season you applied for to OSU?   I selected the option "Summer 2015" for admission during the application and cannot remember what the other options are.  I'm thinking that maybe others selected a "Fall 2015" option and it has something to do with why my status is still pending.

Does anyone know when the visit day for CMU is? I haven't heard from them yet, but I'd like to start booking flights for other schools before prices go up. 

Shouldn't they pay for your flight to visit?

Shouldn't they pay for your flight to visit?

They do, but only up to some dollar amount, which isn't always sufficient for those of us flying in from Canada. Plus, I'd really just like to get my plan settled - it looks like it could end up being a 10 day long trip in the middle of term.

Does anyone know when the visit day for CMU is? I haven't heard from them yet, but I'd like to start booking flights for other schools before prices go up. 

In the email I got, they said their open house was going to be held March 19-20. They said they'll send more details this week, so I'm not sure how much of travel expenses they cover.

In the email I got, they said their open house was going to be held March 19-20. They said they'll send more details this week, so I'm not sure how much of travel expenses they cover.

Excellent, thank you! It looks like we'll be at some of the same visit days (UCB, UW)

Excellent, thank you! It looks like we'll be at some of the same visit days (UCB, UW)

Yeah! I'm for sure going to UW's visit day, but probably won't be at Berkeley's. Very sad to miss it since Berkeley is my top choice, but I'm hoping to visit on a different day.

No rejection for me either. I've not very hopeful at this point, but who knows?

Applied to Michigan, nothing back yet. Hmph. Seeing more and more acceptances on the results page every day...

I sent an email to Iowa State and Texas A&M, they both rejected me. I am fine, since those two were the only PhD's I applied to, and mostly because I wanted to secure funding. I also wrote to U Minnesota and Purdue University. Purdue just replied to me today, they sent two emails: the first one was generic and said something like we will contact by March/April and we cannot expedite the process, and the second one was personalized and told me that legally no one can force to decide before April Xth (I told them I received some offers and wanted to make the decision) and that I should be patient and do what is best for my education.

I will wait a couple more hours to receive the email from Minnesota and then finish with this admission process.

I sent an email to Iowa State and Texas A&M, they both rejected me. I am fine, since those two were the only PhD's I applied to, and mostly because I wanted to secure funding. I also wrote to U Minnesota and Purdue University. Purdue just replied to me today, they sent two emails: the first one was generic and said something like we will contact by March/April and we cannot expedite the process, and the second one was personalized and told me that legally no one can force to decide before April Xth (I told them I received some offers and wanted to make the decision) and that I should be patient and do what is best for my education.

I will wait a couple more hours to receive the email from Minnesota and then finish with this admission process.

All the best Karoku_valentine!!