2015 Admissions General

How will you compare northwestern with uw-madison

Don't know yet -- at the moment, it's there or Rice. I'm visiting the departments this weekend and next. Will probably decide after that.

Rejected from Columbia. I had a little bit of hope after I wasn't in the round sent last night haha.

I wonder why they do this. It's a one day difference so I doubt much heavier consideration was given. Seems like it would be easier for all parties if these rejections came out at the same time. 

Has anyone else still not heard anything from their Rutger's math PhD application? I see a trickle of responses (accepted, rejected, and wait list) coming out, but I still have a "No Decision".

engenmt, why don't you email them and ask? That's how I got my response (for the stats dept, though). I am still on "No Decision" even today, even though I have been unofficially accepted.

Did you apply to New Brunswick or Newark? Newark math told me there will be no decisions before May.

Edited by Ellies

Has anyone heard anything from NYU Stern's PhD in Statistics? I still haven't heard anything. It's a small program so maybe no one else here applied there.

I emailed them and asked and they said they would not be able to offer me admission. Given that they have 50-100 applicants for 1-2 spots, I imagine most applicants are no longer under serious consideration, even if they haven't released an official decision.

I emailed them and asked and they said they would not be able to offer me admission. Given that they have 50-100 applicants for 1-2 spots, I imagine most applicants are no longer under serious consideration, even if they haven't released an official decision.

I see that you've applied to Maryland AMSC.  Have you heard anything from them?  

I see that you've applied to Maryland AMSC.  Have you heard anything from them?  

I contacted them too(I have one offer that downgrades from a fellowship to a TAship if I don't take it soon), and they said that they have sent out their first round acceptances, that essentially I am waitlisted, and that I would likely need to wait until close to April 15 if I decided to wait it out.

I contacted them too(I have one offer that downgrades from a fellowship to a TAship if I don't take it soon), and they said that they have sent out their first round acceptances, that essentially I am waitlisted, and that I would likely need to wait until close to April 15 if I decided to wait it out.

Yes, I called and got the same information.  It's a shame how drawn out the wait can be when you're on the waitlist, but, hey it's better than an outright rejection.  And yes, it sounds like you're in a tight spot.  Would you choose Maryland over this other program?

Yes, I called and got the same information.  It's a shame how drawn out the wait can be when you're on the waitlist, but, hey it's better than an outright rejection.  And yes, it sounds like you're in a tight spot.  Would you choose Maryland over this other program?

Maryland was my top choice heading into the application season, so I am fairly certain yes. However, based on my results at similarly ranked schools, my guess is that I ultimately won't make the cut, but then again you never know. How about you? How does Maryland fit into your school choice?

engenmt, this is what I wrote in my first email to the program director:

"Dear Professor xxxxxx,
How are you? My name is xxxxx, and I applied to the PhD program in your department. I noticed on GradCafe that many people received a decision already, but I have not. Is there any way you could possibly tell me if I am still under consideration?"

I also mentioned that I was extremely interested.

Hope that helps! :)

Yeah I just wish they would respond with an official decision. I've heard from the other schools I applied to, just waiting on them. Problem is that it's my top choice so it would completely change my decision if I got in! Who did you email to get info?

So I ended up in a kind of silly situaiton...applied to 7 schools for an MA/MS in Biostatistics, when really my intent was to just go to a midranked one.  I wanted to see how I would do with the other schools for shits and giggles. 

I applied to Buffalo, Albany, Pittsburgh, Michigan, UCLA, Berkeley, and Harvard.  Buffalo was my school of choice.  I ended up getting into all of them aside from Berkeley.  The most surprising of course was Harvard.  Michigan and Buffalo were the only schools who looked like they would consider funding at the Master's level, but I did not receive anything.  That being said, to get my Master's I will need to take on a load of debt to complement my modest ~$10k from undergrad.

Since I'm a NY resident, Buffalo (and Albany, but thats not really being considered now) are the cheapest options by far.  2 years there will run me about $25k, plus a very low cost of living.  Everywhere else is going to be $40k+, with Harvard being $60k+.  Thats without even considering living expenses, which would be much higher in the Harvard or UCLA area than it would be in Bufflao or Ann Arbor.  My career goals at the moment are to get my Masters and go to industry.  If my intent was to pursue a PhD, it would be hard to justify not attending Harvard.  But since my plans are elsewhere oriented, I feel like it doesn't make a lot of sense to spend the excess money on the Master's especially when Im browsing employment stats and it seems like entry level jobs across the country start at similar base salaries.  I know the higher ranked schools will potentially have more connections and obviously come with a higher level of prestige, but at the same time I feel like if I get my degree in Buffalo and stick around I could develop a pretty good network to start off with.  But then I also think people try so hard to get into Harvard all the time and then I get in and I'm really cavalier about it. 

Anyways, tl;dr version - got into Harvard by 'accident' for Biostats MA.  My top choose is Buffalo because of financial reasons.  Everyone I talk to says I'm crazy, but I do actually like Buffalo's program.  Anyone have any insights/comments?

@pyar23,

I was in the same situation! I applied to 7 MS/MA Biostats and got into 5 by far and rejected by Berkeley. I was intended to go to Duke or UCLA but after visiting Vanderbilt, I really like the program. I'm also intending to go into industry after graduation (don't want to pursue a PhD). Till the end, I chose to attend Vandy, well they have good courses and teaching environment, but largely due to the scholarship I will be receiving. (only need to pay 20% tuition). It's fortunate that I really like the program and I also can save a lot of money. 

For me, yeah, Yale, Duke, UCLA, they are really big names. However, I wouldn't want to be in large debt after graduation from Master; especially not sure if you can get a job right after. (The interest from loan is def NO fun). I think financial situation plays a big role to me. 

P.S. I'm an international student, so, I was surprised that I can get into the program with this much scholarship and I enjoy the surprise! Will definitely grab the chance I have. Also, I found myself no regret not choosing those better ranking programs :)

Hope you are also satisfied by your choice :)

Go to Buffalo.  Two years without any funding at UCLA, Harvard, or Michigan is going to cost you more than $100k when you include living expenses.  For an industry job, I don't think there's any way to justify spending all that extra money.

I very much got the impression that if you're a native english speaker then you are pretty much going to be able to get support through a TAship at Michigan. They have a lot of teaching that needs to be done and not nearly enough PhD students to do it.

Go to Buffalo.  Two years without any funding at UCLA, Harvard, or Michigan is going to cost you more than $100k when you include living expenses.  For an industry job, I don't think there's any way to justify spending all that extra money.

I would be inclined to agree with this. My master's institution is unranked, yet my officemate just graduated and got a job with great pay and 4 weeks off starting out. Although it might depend on your field of interest. I have heard that for finance jobs it is more important to have a degree from a prestigious school on your resume.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!  It's nice to have some people understand my line of reasoning...most people I talk to (aside from my mom who will be helping me out a little financial, ha) think I'm crazy to pass up on the Harvard opportunity, but they are also the ones who won't be paying for it.

I know Michigan does have a lot of funding opportunities, but when i got my acceptance they said they did not have anything to offer me.  That is not to say that something couldn't pop up at some point during my tenure there, but there is no guarantee.  As such, it would be a bit like rolling the dice - it could work out splendidly or I could end up paying more in the end.  Since I am actually happy with the program at Buffalo and its cheaper, I'm pleased with my decision to go there.  And the funding gamble is the same thing at Buffalo, so it may end up working in my favor eventually anyways.  Thanks for the feedback again!