2015 Ecology/Evolution/Organismal/Marine Biology Applicants

Enhydra

I feel like this is the week for several programs. I was really hoping that last week would be the week, but it's hard to guess for some programs because they have limited reports in the results search and some of them are all over the place. I really wish there were more EEB applicants on here so I wouldn't have to guess when invites go out based on two results!

Since no one has posted on the results page I'll add it here: invites for the Michigan State Zoology recruiting event have gone out.

A couple of applicant files are being ranked late (something to do with late sponsorship). I am not sure if these applicants still received invites for the recruiting event, but either way they could still be accepted. At this point the only applicants out of the running are those without an official faculty sponsor. 

I think someone posted earlier asking this but there was no response yet. Has anyone heard from Michigan EEB? Looking at the dates when people posted results last year we should start hearing end of last week/this week.

I have heard an update sort of from a POI at Michigan. He/she emailed last Monday saying applications were given back to the AdComm and they would send out recruitment weekend invites over the next few weeks. It sounds like POIs look at files first, and then the AdComm makes final decisions on invitations after that. It's only been one week, so maybe invites could be going out next week. Or even the week after?

Since no one has posted on the results page I'll add it here: invites for the Michigan State Zoology recruiting event have gone out.

A couple of applicant files are being ranked late (something to do with late sponsorship). I am not sure if these applicants still received invites for the recruiting event, but either way they could still be accepted. At this point the only applicants out of the running are those without an official faculty sponsor. 

Well... I guess that means I'm out of the running :'(

FoggyAnhinga, I also had a similar experience to this. I had a gchat interview with a POI at Arizona State that went pretty well and I ended up getting an interview It seems like they also had an early app deadline compared to a lot of other schools, so their response time/interview dates might not be a good indicator of how other schools would be. Anyway, It seems to me that having a POI interested in you is definitely helpful! Good luck! Hopefully you will hear something soon.

Thanks EelPoweredHovercraft - I hope your interview went well, and best of luck with your applications!

I feel like this is the week for several programs. I was really hoping that last week would be the week, but it's hard to guess for some programs because they have limited reports in the results search and some of them are all over the place. I really wish there were more EEB applicants on here so I wouldn't have to guess when invites go out based on two results!

Yeah, the results search doesn't show up too much data on the applicants who applied to EEB programs :( for some programs, the most recent results go all the way back to 2010 or 2011! 

I hope you are right, shadowclaw! I feel like I have been telling myself 'this will be the week' for many weeks :wacko: haha

It is hard to be patient, but it's nice to have others here in the same boat :)

I saw that someone received an invitation for an interview at Northeastern for EEMB?  Anyone else have any information from them?  Thanks

The waiting game is killing me.

I saw that too! Makes me nervous :( I still haven't heard anything from them... I wonder if I have any potential to be accepted to this program at this stage...

I saw that too! Makes me nervous :( I still haven't heard anything from them... I wonder if I have any potential to be accepted to this program at this stage...

Don't forget that many EEB notifications seem to be emails and phone calls from a POI. So unless a whole week went by, I wouldn't lose all hope. Your POI might just be busy!

Don't forget that many EEB notifications seem to be emails and phone calls from a POI. So unless a whole week went by, I wouldn't lose all hope. Your POI might just be busy!

Thanks :) I think that Northeastern EEMB program has an interview/recruitment day for top applicants and I guess based on the results, someone received an invitation via email - I hope not being invited doesn't necessarily mean my prospects are doomed (if so, I guess I still have other schools to hear from, fingers crossed...)

Best of luck to you too!

Thanks :) I think that Northeastern EEMB program has an interview/recruitment day for top applicants and I guess based on the results, someone received an invitation via email - I hope not being invited doesn't necessarily mean my prospects are doomed (if so, I guess I still have other schools to hear from, fingers crossed...)

Best of luck to you too!

I know UNC's website says that those not invited to the interview weekend may be waitlisted and invited for a later interview if the other applicants don't pan out. I don't know how universal that policy may be, but it's a reason to stay hopeful even if you don't get an invite.

Somebody posted a link to a professor's blog not too long ago with a post on selectivity of POIs. It was written by an EEB professor who talked about how he had become more and more selective over the years and now only had one grad student about to graduate. Whenever he tried to recruit new ones, he only told a select few to apply and they all chose to attend elsewhere after offers went out. I have secretly been hoping this is the case with my POIs so that maybe my chances of an acceptance will be higher if the competition with better undergrad GPAs go elsewhere.

Finally some news!  Acceptance at UW-Madison Comparative Biomedical Sciences program - technically not EEB but my research will still fall within that sphere.  Still have to be accepted into a lab prior to admission as my original POI doesn't have funding this year.

Congrats! I'm still waiting for good news. Several schools sent out invites this week, but alas, not mine. Guess I'll start get antsy about next week...

This makes me feel a bit better! The department I applied to typically has their interview sessions first to second week of Feb but nothing seems to have come out yet ... at least from what I can tell on GradCafe. 

This makes me feel a bit better! The department I applied to typically has their interview sessions first to second week of Feb but nothing seems to have come out yet ... at least from what I can tell on GradCafe.

I know I browsed through the ecology results at one point and I was surprised to see that people put that they received invites only a week before the interview weekends for some schools. I wonder if those were cases of invited students declining invites or withdrawing applications and the program decided to invite someone further down the list. I feel like a program should give at least two weeks notice.

I know I browsed through the ecology results at one point and I was surprised to see that people put that they received invites only a week before the interview weekends for some schools. I wonder if those were cases of invited students declining invites or withdrawing applications and the program decided to invite someone further down the list. I feel like a program should give at least two weeks notice.

So strange though. Absolutely no mention of the Illinois PEEC program in results this year save one person's rejection.

So strange though. Absolutely no mention of the Illinois PEEC program in results this year save one person's rejection.

That is a bit odd that someone got a rejection email from their POI but you haven't heard anything. It might be that the adcomm put applications into two categories, no and maybe, and are still working on turning the maybe pile into interview invites and wait list.

My top choices have very little at all in the results search. The EEB programs at UT and UNC both have one entry for invites, plus a few entries for acceptances. OSU's Environmental Science program has zero results, but I know they don't do interviews. I really wish I had more to work with!

That is a bit odd that someone got a rejection email from their POI but you haven't heard anything. It might be that the adcomm put applications into two categories, no and maybe, and are still working on turning the maybe pile into interview invites and wait list.

My top choices have very little at all in the results search. The EEB programs at UT and UNC both have one entry for invites, plus a few entries for acceptances. OSU's Environmental Science program has zero results, but I know they don't do interviews. I really wish I had more to work with!

One of the programs that I had an interview with doesn't have any recent results (the most recent being 2011, which is pretty surprising considering that the size of this particular EEB graduate program is quite large). 

Just got accepted to one program!!! This was my "backup" I guess if you can call it that (though this program doesn't know that, since I took their interview VERY seriously). So, it means if all else fails I'll have a place to go! Now, on to waiting for the others...

Just got accepted to one program!!! This was my "backup" I guess if you can call it that (though this program doesn't know that, since I took their interview VERY seriously). So, it means if all else fails I'll have a place to go! Now, on to waiting for the others...

Yay! Congratulations! I think that you've got the first ecology acceptance of the application cycle. It must really take some of weight off knowing that you do have somewhere to go.

Congrats! I agree with shadowclaw. The uncertainty is brutal!

I don't really have much to add to this thread at the moment, but I just wanted to say thank you to Enhydra for creating it! I definitely felt lost in the larger thread, which seemed to really focus on the more bio-medical science type fields...and it certainly never seemed like those applicants wanted to hear about our concerns or deadlines. Which is completely understandable, but didn't make me want to participate in that thread very much.

Anyway, good luck to everyone this application cycle! I myself am applying to marine biology/science programs as well as some Biology-Ecology programs that offer a concentration in marine biology. I haven't heard anything yet from my schools, other than that FSU hasn't evaluated their Ecology applicants yet. But, the deadlines for my last 2 schools (UNE and UNF) haven't even passed yet, so I'm not worried. I want to hear something, of course, but I'm really expecting to have to wait until March or April for that.