2015 Ecology/Evolution/Organismal/Marine Biology Applicants

Enhydra

Thanks everyone! I will keep my fingers crossed for you all.

BTW shadowclaw, if I recall correctly from your other posts, do you have master's? If so how did you apply to NSFGRFP? I wish I was eligible for that fellowship :(

Hang in there NonparametricBananas! Based on your name I am guessing you've applied for some quantitative ecology research programs?

I only have one application out at the moment as my remaining others are either due March or have rolling admission -- I applied for general EEB programs in behavioural endocrinology research groups. Fingers crossed! This reminds me of when I applied for my M.Sc.. The wait then was just as bad. I suppose it's better this time around in that I know I have a better chance because of networking and experience and whatnot. 

Spreading the good vibes and luck all around!

BTW shadowclaw, if I recall correctly from your other posts, do you have master's? If so how did you apply to NSFGRFP? I wish I was eligible for that fellowship :(

I almost have a masters. I'll be getting mine in May. You can apply for the NSF GRFP if you have pursued less than 12 months of full-time graduate study as of August, or less than 24 credit hours if part-time. Basically, when you enter your second year of grad school it's your last opportunity.

I almost have a masters. I'll be getting mine in May. You can apply for the NSF GRFP if you have pursued less than 12 months of full-time graduate study as of August, or less than 24 credit hours if part-time. Basically, when you enter your second year of grad school it's your last opportunity.

Ah okay. Sadly that doesn't apply for me since I have a masters that took two years to complete... oh well as long as my POI has funding...

I only have one application out at the moment as my remaining others are either due March or have rolling admission -- I applied for general EEB programs in behavioural endocrinology research groups. Fingers crossed! This reminds me of when I applied for my M.Sc.. The wait then was just as bad. I suppose it's better this time around in that I know I have a better chance because of networking and experience and whatnot.

Spreading the good vibes and luck all around!

Best of luck to you!! I also remember the torturous waiting game when I applied for masters a few years ago... I didn't get my first interview & acceptance until April (It was also a rolling admission). At the same time, you'll know that until you actually receive a rejection letter you are still being considered for admission!

For anyone who's interested, I just called UNC-Chapel Hill to check on the status of my application and they said they will be sending out invitations this week (possibly spilling over into next week as well). There is still hope!

For anyone who's interested, I just called UNC-Chapel Hill to check on the status of my application and they said they will be sending out invitations this week (possibly spilling over into next week as well). There is still hope!

OMG! I'm going to be checking my phone for emails non stop now. Not that I wasn't going to be doing that anyway. Since the last two weeks were a bust, I was feeling certain that this was the last week UNC and UTK would have to send out invites if they hadn't already.

On a related note, I just had a heart attack when I got an email from OSU. The email started off with, "We appreciate your interest in our program" and I was sure it was a rejection. Then I read a little further and it was just confirmation that they have all of my materials and were sending an email to my POI to give them access to my file.

OMG! I'm going to be checking my phone for emails non stop now. Not that I wasn't going to be doing that anyway. Since the last two weeks were a bust, I was feeling certain that this was the last week UNC and UTK would have to send out invites if they hadn't already.

On a related note, I just had a heart attack when I got an email from OSU. The email started off with, "We appreciate your interest in our program" and I was sure it was a rejection. Then I read a little further and it was just confirmation that they have all of my materials and were sending an email to my POI to give them access to my file.

I wish UIUC would send me something nice! Haven't received anything since submitting my application and telling my POI that it was in.

Hi all! Hoping your app season is going well so far!

I was wondering if anyone had heard anything from the UC Davis programs (I applied to pop bio, but info from animal behavior and ecology would be helpful too).

kinkajou -- I'm almost positive invitations have already gone out for UC Davis's pop bio group,  but I know ecology is running quite a bit behind this year due to some administration changes, so I don't think there have been any updates for them yet.  I don't know anything about animal behavior so I can't help there. 

Just received an email from my POI at UMich's EEB program. It sounds like faculty members have had a chance to review applications. Now the Admissions Committee will be making decisions in the next few weeks on invitations to their recruitment weekend.

Anymore news from UMich?  

Has anyone heard anything from EEB UC Santa Cruz, UC Irvine, URI (bio) or Boston U (bio)? Interviews? Acceptance?

I am going crazy over here! I might email my potential PI just to check in next week....

I have had 3 skype interviews and 2 unofficial visits.  One out of the five has contacted me with an acceptance and it is out of the country.  It sure seems like it is taking longer for them to respond then it has in the years past.  

UMich EEB is having a recruitment event Feb 12-14. It conflicted with another school, so I am visiting the next Fri Feb 20.

Thank you, after skyping with my POI on Nov. 24th I was told to get my app in by Dec. 1st.  got it in and have not heard a word.  I guess I am out with the event happening on the 12th.  Best of luck. 

Has anyone heard anything from EEB UC Santa Cruz, UC Irvine, URI (bio) or Boston U (bio)? Interviews? Acceptance?

I am going crazy over here! I might email my potential PI just to check in next week....

I haven't heard from EEB UC Santa Cruz yet. I'm not sure about the others, as I didn't apply to those programs.

Things have been pretty good for me so far (*knock on wood*). The UW interview weekend seemed to go well, so hopefully I will hear good news from them. Additionally, I had a skype interview with a POI at Scripps which resulted in an invite to the open house!  I'm super excited. The scary thing is I almost missed this opportunity--the email asking for the initial skype interview ended up in my spam filter. :blink:

Hi all! Hoping your app season is going well so far!

I was wondering if anyone had heard anything from the UC Davis programs (I applied to pop bio, but info from animal behavior and ecology would be helpful too).

I applied to the Hydrological Sciences Graduate Group.  Between my two POIs and their labs (who both take on ecology students), they are currently working out funding and fellowships for admitted students.  Not sure about other labs or graduate groups. 

As of about an hour ago, I have now officially completed and submitted the applications for all of my graduate schools.

....Now begins the waiting game for results. :unsure:

Congrats! That's a great feeling... until the waiting anxiety kicks in. ;)

As of about an hour ago, I have now officially completed and submitted the applications for all of my graduate schools.

....Now begins the waiting game for results. :unsure:

Good luck!! Hopefully you might get good news sometime in February

I got an invite for a Skype interview from my POI at UNC. Does UNC do a recruitment weekend for EEB, and if so, does anyone know when? I'm assuming this would be a preliminary interview with the possiblibilty of moving on to a visitation interview.

Edited by ineedanak