2015 Ecology/Evolution/Organismal/Marine Biology Applicants

Enhydra

Ineedenak - UNC does an interview weekend sometime in mid-February. I don't know the exact date. I did a Skype interview with my POI prior to applying and he gave me a general timeline and that's when he said it would be.

Someone called UNC earlier this week and they said interview invites would be sent out at the end of this week or early next week, so it seems a little odd that you're doing a Skype interview. Are you international or really far away away (like Hawaii or Alaska)? If so, maybe inviting you to the weekend is too costly and they're doing a Skype interview instead. I don't know.

Official interview and a lab visit for another program in a few weeks! Excited but very nervous... probably more nervous because it looks like a fantastic program but I will have to see if I am really impressed with the lab personnel, the facility, and the area in general once I visit

Congrats, FoggyAnhinga! I was wondering how much research and field experience you have. I suspect that your research interests broadly lie in ornithology, and you are doing really well with interviews and your acceptance! Field experience is something that I lack... I briefly worked on two bird banding projects plus I did my thesis research which was mostly field observations and some museum work. In the event that this application season is a bust, finding some bird projects to work on in the next year seems like the best way to strengthen my profile.

Ineedenak - UNC does an interview weekend sometime in mid-February. I don't know the exact date. I did a Skype interview with my POI prior to applying and he gave me a general timeline and that's when he said it would be.

Someone called UNC earlier this week and they said interview invites would be sent out at the end of this week or early next week, so it seems a little odd that you're doing a Skype interview. Are you international or really far away away (like Hawaii or Alaska)? If so, maybe inviting you to the weekend is too costly and they're doing a Skype interview instead. I don't know.

No I'm not extremely far away. I do know that my application is not as up to par as the typical UNC applicant though.

I'm the one that heard back from UNC's EEOB program. My POI emailed me yesterday to let me know I was accepted into the program (without an interview?) and nominated for a fellowship! I'm not quite sure how that works to be honest but I'm very excited since it's my first acceptance. Although I can't attend, I was invited to their recruitment weekend which begins on Feb 27th. Your POIs might just be taking longer to get back to you with results. Best of luck to everyone!

Congrats, FoggyAnhinga! I was wondering how much research and field experience you have. I suspect that your research interests broadly lie in ornithology, and you are doing really well with interviews and your acceptance! Field experience is something that I lack... I briefly worked on two bird banding projects plus I did my thesis research which was mostly field observations and some museum work. In the event that this application season is a bust, finding some bird projects to work on in the next year seems like the best way to strengthen my profile.

Thanks shadowclaw! I'm actually not pursuing ornithology (birding is just my hobby and I find anhingas awesome lol). I've been gathering lab & field research experience since my first year in undergrad. Since then, I've been doing some research every summer and throughout every year of my undergraduate program (quite a few research experience were gathered from my work study program), through my master's, and also during my last several years of work experience as a research assistant up to this point. I have field experiences along both east and the west coasts, the gulf coast, and also from east Asia. 

It's still very early in the stages of any decision or interviews, so I definitely wouldn't give up any hope yet! Since you have a master's degree, that could be a HUGE plus over other applicants too (many professors in ecology field are seeking PhD students with master's degree). Furthermore, since you applied for NSFGRFP (which is basically your admission ticket to a Ph.D. program if you are awarded), that gives you another huge advantage. Stay positive, and I'll keep my fingers crossed!

I'm the one that heard back from UNC's EEOB program. My POI emailed me yesterday to let me know I was accepted into the program (without an interview?) and nominated for a fellowship! I'm not quite sure how that works to be honest but I'm very excited since it's my first acceptance. Although I can't attend, I was invited to their recruitment weekend which begins on Feb 27th. Your POIs might just be taking longer to get back to you with results. Best of luck to everyone!

A huge congrats to you sfrie! Looks like an awesome program and if you decide to attend there, hope it's a great fit for you!

Congrats, sfrie! That's so great that they accepted you without an interview. I think that means that you're an awesome applicant. Now you too know for certain that you're going to grad school in the fall. I am so jealous of you and FoggyAnhinga!

I haven't given up hope on UNC yet. Especially since my POI took a really long time to reply to my e-mails when we discussing the opportunities in his lab. Maybe he's waiting for some quiet time in his office to take care of it :P

Thanks shadowclaw! I'm actually not pursuing ornithology (birding is just my hobby and I find anhingas awesome lol). I've been gathering lab & field research experience since my first year in undergrad. Since then, I've been doing some research every summer and throughout every year of my undergraduate program (quite a few research experience were gathered from my work study program), through my master's, and also during my last several years of work experience as a research assistant up to this point. I have field experiences along both east and the west coasts, the gulf coast, and also from east Asia. 

It's still very early in the stages of any decision or interviews, so I definitely wouldn't give up any hope yet! Since you have a master's degree, that could be a HUGE plus over other applicants too (many professors in ecology field are seeking PhD students with master's degree). Furthermore, since you applied for NSFGRFP (which is basically your admission ticket to a Ph.D. program if you are awarded), that gives you another huge advantage. Stay positive, and I'll keep my fingers crossed!

I'm definitely trying to stay positive! Generally speaking, I've felt pretty good about the majority of my applications, but I have moments of doubt. Like right now haha. I know I still have lots of time before decisions will be made.

It sounds like you are the ultimate ecology applicant. I did a variety of research projects and field work as an undergrad, but most weren't related to ornithology. Actually, they were pretty diverse. I've got some interesting skills that aren't really applicable to birds! Then again, one of my committee members decided to work in the field after undergrad before going to grad school, and she worked all over the country and with any organism she could find. She turned out ok :D

I really hope I do get the NSF GRFP... I'm quite proud of that application, and not only would it make schools want to accept me, but the stipend is soooo much better than what most programs are offering.

I was in a similar position in that my senior thesis was based on field observations, so I took a year after undergrad to work a couple of seasonal field jobs. One job was at a well-established bird banding lab, so I gained a ton of banding and handling experience. I definitely think it helped: I know my now-advisor commented that she was glad to see I had extensive "bird skills" (e.g. mist netting, banding, nest searching) when I first contacted her. It made field work easier in the beginning because I was qualified enough to be added to her bird banding permit right away, which allows me to band without her supervision. In fact, the summer before I started my program I got to visit the field site and oversee the banding being done by another grad student and the field assistants (who didn't have much banding experience). 

Edited by Pitangus

You probably already know about this, but if you don't, you should check out the Texas A and M Agriculture and Life Sciences job board. There are a TON of people looking for field assistants for bird projects. Some of them are just the summer, but I think there are some that go for a year. (But don't take that to mean I think you should give up hope! You definitely shouldn't, especially since it's so early.)

And along with an acceptance and an interview, I guess a rejection is also in order :( just got a rejection notice by Northeastern EEMB... for anyone else who applied to that program I wish you all the best w/ interviews or potential admission offers!

And along with an acceptance and an interview, I guess a rejection is also in order :( just got a rejection notice by Northeastern EEMB... for anyone else who applied to that program I wish you all the best w/ interviews or potential admission offers!

Hi,   did you find this where they post "under committee review?   Also, did you have any phone interviews prior?  Thank, the waiting is about to kill me. 

Hi, did you find this where they post "under committee review? Also, did you have any phone interviews prior? Thank, the waiting is about to kill me.

The application portal sent me an email saying that a decision has been made for my application. I logged into my application, and at the very bottom was the link to the decision that was made for my application. When I clicked the link it was a generic and very short rejection letter. I did have one phone interview prior to applying.

Edited by FoggyAnhinga

You probably already know about this, but if you don't, you should check out the Texas A and M Agriculture and Life Sciences job board. There are a TON of people looking for field assistants for bird projects. Some of them are just the summer, but I think there are some that go for a year. (But don't take that to mean I think you should give up hope! You definitely shouldn't, especially since it's so early.)

I've been to the Texas A&M wildlife job board, but not the one you mentioned. I also browse the OSNA job board. I've been thinking about getting a summer position whether I'm accepted or not, because, well, I'll need some money.

NonparametricBananas, I feel your pain. Still no word from UNC or UTK. I think perhaps I have a couple more days to wait for UNC before I can be sure I didn't get an interview. Although I can't fully give up on it unless I get an actual rejection. The website mentions that they send out interview invitations and those who are not invited may be waitlisted. Waitlisted is better than rejected, because everyone could reject their offers or end up doing something really strange during the interview weekend. See, FoggyAnhinga, I'm staying positive :) I'm not sure about UTK. There's only one result for an interview invite, and it was Jan 19. Their interview weekend starts on the 20th, so I suppose I still have about a week before it would be too late to be invited. Still staying positive!

I'm filling out another application to Oregon State, but to a different department. Funny how the Environmental Science department wanted me to send hard copies of my transcripts, but the Wildlife Science department wants scans. I had e-mailed a POI there about 2 weeks ago in response to an ad he put out, and he requested a giant packet of info (CV, writing samples, etc). I got back a "thanks, we'll be in touch if you're selected for an interview." I wanted to get this application done two weeks ago because they're reviewing applications as they come in, but I was completely broke. Hopefully I'm not paying $60 only to find out that yesterday they picked someone.

So for the whole application process I kept telling all my friends and family that I didn't have a first choice school, and would just go with what school accepted me and gave me money. This is still true of course, as I only applied to schools with professors doing research I am really interested in, and that I would be interested in attending.

But finishing and submitting all my applications has now given me too much time to think, and I have now instead realized that my first choice school definitely is VIMS...I love the research that professor is doing, it is a wonderful school and program, and I think I'd really rather live in Virginia than the other locations....

This realization though has now made the waiting game 1000x worse. I just want to go back to thinking I don't have a first choice school! :unsure:

katsharki-- I went and did the same thing even though I know better than to get my hopes up. And it was even for a school I wasn't originally going to apply to! These interviews are about to be a bit nerve wracking. 

Got this e-mail from VIMS today:

"Dear VIMS applicant,

The Admissions Committee for the School of Marine Science at VIMS has selected your application for further consideration.  Please have your official transcript(s) sent to the address below."

!!!!!!!! Very exciting. First good news I've really heard from any school so far!  :D  :D

Got this e-mail from VIMS today:

"Dear VIMS applicant,

The Admissions Committee for the School of Marine Science at VIMS has selected your application for further consideration.  Please have your official transcript(s) sent to the address below."

!!!!!!!! Very exciting. First good news I've really heard from any school so far!  :D  :D

Congrats! I got my first acceptance last night. :D