The Long Wait

PreciselyTerrified

I wonder what will happen with Stanford.

When I started applying, I thought of Stanford as by far my top choice. Now I'm not sure I'll accept their offer (on the off chance that I'll get in). I've known about my Pitt acceptance for weeks. I've spoken to and corresponded with a decent amount of Faculty members and current grads at Pitt and it just sounds like my dream school. I've also started looking into Pittsburgh city as a whole and I think I could be quite happy there.

I've heard this is a common experience when one acceptance comes early and another much later.

Are other Stanford applicants having similar experiences? Or has everyone else done the responsible thing and waited for news from all their schools before thinking about where to go?

I wonder what will happen with Stanford.

When I started applying, I thought of Stanford as by far my top choice. Now I'm not sure I'll accept their offer (on the off chance that I'll get in). I've known about my Pitt acceptance for weeks. I've spoken to and corresponded with a decent amount of Faculty members and current grads at Pitt and it just sounds like my dream school. I've also started looking into Pittsburgh city as a whole and I think I could be quite happy there.

I've heard this is a common experience when one acceptance comes early and another much later.

Are other Stanford applicants having similar experiences? Or has everyone else done the responsible thing and waited for news from all their schools before thinking about where to go?

Pitts is a great school! Have you visited? Two of my letter writers have been there at some stage of their careers, and they both loved it. Too bad I didn't get in :(

Anyway, congrats! If you've visited and still love it, I think it's pretty on par with Stanford reputation-wise (also depends on your AOI, of course). That said, there's no hurry in making that decision now, is there? I'd say at least wait until Stanford gets some news out?

Pitts is a great school! Have you visited? Two of my letter writers have been there at some stage of their careers, and they both loved it. Too bad I didn't get in :(

Anyway, congrats! If you've visited and still love it, I think it's pretty on par with Stanford reputation-wise (also depends on your AOI, of course). That said, there's no hurry in making that decision now, is there? I'd say at least wait until Stanford gets some news out?

I'm definitely jumping the gun. Chances are that I won't be accepted at Stanford anyway. I can't visit though (South Africa is too far away). I've never even been to the states, so I think I'm just freaking out about moving there blind. And I'm freaking out about how late Stanford is in notifications this year. I really want to start the visa/bank accounts/housing processes now.

I'm definitely jumping the gun. Chances are that I won't be accepted at Stanford anyway. I can't visit though (South Africa is too far away). I've never even been to the states, so I think I'm just freaking out about moving there blind. And I'm freaking out about how late Stanford is in notifications this year. I really want to start the visa/bank accounts/housing processes now.

That does sound stressful. Well, if you do phil of science, there aren't many places that'll top Pitts. I also heard that it's a decent student city. Not expensive to live in and all.

So I'm kind of new to this, and obvs you all won't know for sure, but would you say no news is good news at this point, or does it vary by department? Still waiting to hear back from 7 of the 11 schools I applied to, and obsessively checking my application accounts, all of which still have "under departmental review" (or the equivalent) as my status... I'm kind of dying here :( Should I assume I've been rejected, or is there any hope of wait lists?

(I know some of the schools I've applied to have told people they were wait-listed, and have released some rejections-- yet I've heard nothing-- so I'm just going to pretend that I'm so awesome that they're trying to secure a sloth to give me along with funding when they accept me. Wishful thinking. Sigh.) 

I know Michigan started releasing yesterday. Maryland and Penn were a while back. If you've heard nothing it may mean that you are waitlisted. It's hard to say. Some people might advise you to reach out and see where you stand, and maybe others can speak to whether that's a good idea. 

Did you ask about reimbursement for international travel? I was able to get reimbursement for travel from Germany.

Did you ask about reimbursement for international travel? I was able to get reimbursement for travel from Germany.

They offered. But there are several reasons that I can't go. Applying for a visa will take some time, I have a very full teaching schedule, and some personal commitments at the end of March, so it's just too impractical at the moment.

Well, if you are intersted in German idealism and Phil of language, and especially in the intersection between two, I think Pitts is second to none, as you may already realize.

Edit: I just wanted to reply to your post, but I accidently voted the post down.. Sorry about that.

Edited by exaznable

They offered. But there are several reasons that I can't go. Applying for a visa will take some time, I have a very full teaching schedule, and some personal commitments at the end of March, so it's just too impractical at the moment.

Oh, suddenly remember there's something else you can try - you can Skype them. A couple of school that admitted me has offered to skype or call (in addition to visit). You can try to do that with a couple of profs who work in your area, and also with a couple of grad students. They should be able to accommodate you (you're saving them travel money, after all).

Good luck!

Oh, suddenly remember there's something else you can try - you can Skype them. A couple of school that admitted me has offered to skype or call (in addition to visit). You can try to do that with a couple of profs who work in your area, and also with a couple of grad students. They should be able to accommodate you (you're saving them travel money, after all).

Good luck!

This is a very good plan. I've already spoken to one faculty member on the phone and I have a couple of Skype offers that I'll pursue this week. Thanks. I'm starting to feel less freaked out. :)

And I heard from Stanford that they're just waiting on the Dean's office before notifying applicants. They are aiming to release as soon as possible this coming week. So one way or the other, this agonising process will end soon.

Fearing for the worst with OSU. ...>_> ... 

Anyone offered or waitlisted by Purdue yet planning to turn down, please let 'em know! :) Thanks!

I second that! I wish I knew what Purdue's history was for accepting off the waitlist- it would be nice just to have the odds. It's particularly frustrating when you know that not everyone receiving acceptances/waitlist spots are noting it on gradcafe. Oh the angst!! 

I second that! I wish I knew what Purdue's history was for accepting off the waitlist- it would be nice just to have the odds. It's particularly frustrating when you know that not everyone receiving acceptances/waitlist spots are noting it on gradcafe. Oh the angst!!

I asked how far up on the list, and PD said I'm about 25th. I thought this was a "relatively short" waiting list...

He told me that it can happen, but it has only happened once in the last 6 or 7 years...

Edited by Turretin

I asked how far up on the list, and PD said I'm about 25th. I thought this was a "relatively short" waiting list...

He told me that it can happen, but it has only happened once in the last 6 or 7 years...

You know that's really lousy, I will have to email the DGS, it was the secretary who told me that. Not only that but that's also frustrating when in the meantime you have to spend more money ordering more transcripts. I wonder, why do these schools waitlist so many people? Do they usually have that many rejections? :(

Edited by Nastasya_Filippovna

Does anybody know what is going on at UWO? I'm beginning to get anxious about having so many apps out still. Toronto is a presumed rejection at this point, same with UT Austin. Still, no word from UWO's MA in Ancient Philosophy, no word yet from Catholic University of America. St. Louis University's deadline was February 15th, and on their website they said to anticipate notifications mid-March so no surprise there. Just seems late in the season to still not have heard, even if they are rejections from 5 schools. 

Does anybody know what is going on at UWO? I'm beginning to get anxious about having so many apps out still. Toronto is a presumed rejection at this point, same with UT Austin. Still, no word from UWO's MA in Ancient Philosophy, no word yet from Catholic University of America. St. Louis University's deadline was February 15th, and on their website they said to anticipate notifications mid-March so no surprise there. Just seems late in the season to still not have heard, even if they are rejections from 5 schools. 

There aren't a lot of past postings about UWO's ancient MA, but from what there is it seems that not having heard yet isn't strange. Maybe you've seen these, but someone posted an acceptance on March 7th of last year, while someone else posted a rejection even later in March of the previous year. CUA's, in general, seem to come even later in March. I'm still waiting on a few myself, it's awful having to wait this long.

There aren't a lot of past postings about UWO's ancient MA, but from what there is it seems that not having heard yet isn't strange. Maybe you've seen these, but someone posted an acceptance on March 7th of last year, while someone else posted a rejection even later in March of the previous year. CUA's, in general, seem to come even later in March. I'm still waiting on a few myself, it's awful having to wait this long.

That's interesting about UWO. And good luck to you at CUA. What are your interests?

Only wait lists in terms of PhD so far, so hard to plan and rank and decide based on 'maybe,' I'm losing my mind over here!

Hang in there! From what you said earlier, your prospects are really good at UConn. I don't know for sure, but my sense is that if you are well-ranked on the waitlist at a less-known program, your chances of getting in are good since some of their acceptances might end up accepting offers from better ranked places.

Also, I suspect that many schools will be holding visitations in the next two weeks. You might expect people to start declining offers (if they are so inclined) by that time.

Guys do you have any info about Riverside? It's the only American university missing in my applications..on the results search there are only 2 acceptance and 1 rejection. What about the others?

Also, what about Cambridge? o.o

Edited by Bando89

So what does it mean to get neither rejection nor acceptance nor waitlist from the USC at this point? A lot of rejections (and some acceptances etc.) have been posted recently. Do they reject people in groups or something?