Fall 2015 Acceptances (and Rejections) Thread

Anonymona

@theluckyone

I am in the same boat.  I havent heard anything from Harvard Columbia Penn or NYU, Sorry I cant call I am in class until 7 tonight. Hold strong!

Called Columbia GSAS today, told them there was confusion around acceptances/rejections, and was told decisions still being made & Admission Comm still having meetings. That's the official word, I guess.

Anyone have suggestions for how to word an e-mail about withdrawing my application from a school? I was thinking something along the lines of "Thank you for taking the time to review my application materials, but I would like to withdraw my application from consideration at this time." Do I need to say anything else about my reasons for doing so?

After carefully reviewing your offer, I am sorry to inform you that I are unable to attend your program. You should not view this as a reflection on your ability, but rather as a comment on the limited size of me and the record number of programs I was admitted to this year.

Best of luck in your future endeavors,

FreddyDoug

After carefully reviewing your offer, I am sorry to inform you that I are unable to attend your program. You should not view this as a reflection on your ability, but rather as a comment on the limited size of me and the record number of programs I was admitted to this year.

Best of luck in your future endeavors,

FreddyDoug

Brilliant

FreddyDoug

Hahah. I love this. 

FreddyDoug

Beautiful.

FreddyDoug

THIS IS BRILLIANT!!!

Best of the day!

FreddyDoug

I laughed out loud. Amazing.

Im dying

FreddyDoug

Is the email a generic one? did it say anything about the review process?

I haven't heard from Columbia either. 

same here. don't know what it means. 

Anyone have suggestions for how to word an e-mail about withdrawing my application from a school? I was thinking something along the lines of "Thank you for taking the time to review my application materials, but I would like to withdraw my application from consideration at this time." Do I need to say anything else about my reasons for doing so?

I don't think you need to give reasons, but I know that when I decided not to attend a school they appreciated knowing why and how I made my decision. A simple "I was accepted to another program that was a better fit" or "I decided to pursue a different opportunity of program of study this year" is sufficient to add to sentence you wrote and indicates a professional response.

Funny indeed. If only we could all be so bold, maybe a bit too bold.

FreddyDoug

I was told that all decisions have been sent to the Social Sciences Division for finalization. As for what that means -- I have no clue. If I had to guess I'd say the rest of us are getting the axe.

What about UCSD? I still haven't heard anything either way.

I emailed a former professor at UChicago, and I'm awaiting a reply. I'm hoping she will give me some idea as to what is going on. I'll let you all know if I learn more!

Update:  The former professor told me that all "yes" decisions for the sociology Ph.D. program at UChicago had been sent.

Feel like I gotta vent here for a moment. I'm feeling pretty despondent. I've received 3 rejections, and I only applied to the 5 schools where I felt my fit was strongest. I have excellent GRE scores and a publication in a sociological journal, which I wrote independently after undergrad. I know these are competitive programs but I thought I'd get into at least one of them. Not sure what else I can do to improve myself other than getting a MA first, which is what I'll aim to do now. Thanks for reading :/

Feel like I gotta vent here for a moment. I'm feeling pretty despondent. I've received 3 rejections, and I only applied to the 5 schools where I felt my fit was strongest. I have excellent GRE scores and a publication in a sociological journal, which I wrote independently after undergrad. I know these are competitive programs but I thought I'd get into at least one of them. Not sure what else I can do to improve myself other than getting a MA first, which is what I'll aim to do now. Thanks for reading :/

There is a good amount of arbitrariness to the whole process of admission. I think the best way to short-circuit this (to whatever extent possible) is to have your professors make phone calls and write personal emails to people at the programs you're interested in. I know that this was a crucial aspect for my acceptances. 

Also, I believe it is important to have numbers on your side. Applying to only five programs is risky (because of the arbitrariness) and perhaps, if you don't get in this year, you might think about applying to 10-13 programs next time.

Edited by MaxWeberHasAPosse