Fall 2015 Acceptances (and Rejections) Thread

Anonymona

Did you get a formal funding letter? Are you going to their recruitment day???

I got in to UIC. Biggest hole in my application was my quantitative GRE score (a sorry 147) but my verbal and writing were good. Other parts of my application were strong too, including strong LOR's. I have yet to hear back from Santa Cruz and CUNY! 

Me too! I even looked at last year's thread and saw people posting late at night (7-10pm) about getting an email from them. It's going to be a long night and (probably) long weekend.

I wish you hadn't told me that. I've been checking my account every 10 minutes and was about to stop. Now, I'll be checking it for a few more hours. lol

Oh!! I actually JUST got an offer from Stony Brook!!!!! Will read and let you guys know soon!

EDIT: Ok, so I got a pretty generic email from DGS Wanda Vega with a funding and housing letter attached. They guarantee housing, pay for health insurance, and full tuition plus stipend. Funding is for the year 2015-16 and it is renewable for 4+ years based on "normal" progress in the program. Feel free to PM me with questions. 

Edited by ritsukot74

That's good advice, I think. Although for me, personally, the only program that has accepted me so far is the only one (out of 5) that I had zero contact with prior to applying. Lol. I definitely agree with others that this process feels so arbitrary. 

I had zero contact with faculty members of interest before applying.

Oh!! I actually JUST got an offer from Stony Brook!!!!! Will read and let you guys know soon!

EDIT: Ok, so I got a pretty generic email from DGS Wanda Vega with a funding and housing letter attached. They guarantee housing, pay for health insurance, and full tuition plus stipend. Funding is for the year 2015-16 and it is renewable for 4+ years based on "normal" progress in the program. Feel free to PM me with questions. 

ritsukot74, which professor are you hoping to work with? Are you going to go into the gender specialization?

Jason Jones, he is using this new method of acquiring big data from social media (Facebook, twitter) to test hypotheses. Although I also mentioned I'd like to work with Rebekah Buroway (poverty and development) and Kathleen Fallon (women social movements in developing countries).

I'm going into economic sociology.

ritsukot74, which professor are you hoping to work with? Are you going to go into the gender specialization?

I had zero contact with faculty members of interest before applying.

That's awesome. Seems to have worked for you. 

Edited by CeeB

Well i was one of em, though I don't think that one. I don't know how report decisions to the results page of this site. I wasn't expecting to get in there, though that does make me 0-5 on sociology apps so far. I already have the de facto conditional geog acceptance from York and am optimistic on Binghamton sociology. Anything else will be icing on the cake, at least I'll be going somewhere next year.

UofOregon already rejected someone? Did anyone else hear from them? 

Well i was one of em, though I don't think that one. I don't know how report decisions to the results page of this site. I wasn't expecting to get in there, though that does make me 0-5 on sociology apps so far. I already have the de facto conditional geog acceptance from York and am optimistic on Binghamton sociology. Anything else will be icing on the cake, at least I'll be going somewhere next year.

I am sorry to hear about your rejection  :(, hand in there. How did you know about their decision? Did you email them first? My status still says pending. 

Socbr, since you're sharing, what was your AW? Honestly, I think your verbal is probably too low (my problem's the opposite, my math is way too low even though my other 2 scores are basically at the 99th percentile).. Your gpa being low is probably not a good thing either. But you are obviously qualified if not overqualified to excel at any top phd program worth it's reputation. I would try asking maybe 1 or more of your top choices that haven't worked out, including contacting the prof(s) you wanted to study with what the reasoning may have been to turn down your file. Every time i hear a story like this, I get more convinced the gre's time has passed, it's unfair to weigh it over someone writing scholarly books. Clearly. Do you have any options left for this current  cycle?  I've been  there, and was there till I got my one offer the other day and even it's got a problem. You can im me if you want. Boa sorte!

I'm in the same boat. I'm trying to understand why I got rejected by all of the PhD programs I have applied for. My GRE is 157/157, and my undergrad GPA is not great, but that is because I have done a lot of relevant research in my undergraduate years, which have resulted in two co-authored books and some presentations (experience that I thought would balance the GPA and verbal grade). I feel that the LOR's and SOP's were also strong.

I thought that the professional experience would weight on my side. Well, now I am down to the lack of a good M.A (seems like people that got accepted to top 10 schools had one, right?) and will try to enhance the GRE.

Any other thoughts? Thanks for the help.

Thanks grad, got an email earlier this evening, polite as usual but generic, as Berkeley and the others have been. Actually I'm just 0-4 in this field so far. Good luck to you too!

sociologygrad, on 13 Feb 2015 - 8:50 PM, said:snapback.png

I am sorry to hear about your rejection  :(, hand in there. How did you know about their decision? Did you email them first? My status still says pending.

Edited by breaks0

Socbr, since you're sharing, what was your AW? Honestly, I think your verbal is probably too low (my problem's the opposite, my math is way too low even though my other 2 scores are basically at the 99th percentile).. Your gpa being low is probably not a good thing either. But you are obviously qualified if not overqualified to excel at any top phd program worth it's reputation. I would try asking maybe 1 or more of your top choices that haven't worked out, including contacting the prof(s) you wanted to study with what the reasoning may have been to turn down your file. Every time i hear a story like this, I get more convinced the gre's time has passed, it's unfair to weigh it over someone writing scholarly books. Clearly. Do you have any options left for this current  cycle?  I've been  there, and was there till I got my one offer the other day and even it's got a problem. You can im me if you want. Boa sorte!

Breaks, thanks for your response. But yeah, that's what I meant to say: low verbal, low GPA, but good research experience and pubs. What I am wondering right now if the big problem is not having a MA or the GRE and GPA grades.

At this point my options are the Master programs. Fingers crossed.

Edited by Socbr