Fall 2015 Acceptances (and Rejections) Thread

Anonymona

It has been a quieter week than I thought it would be for admissions results. Hopefully the quiet before the storm :)

I hope so too. I have heard from about half the schools I applied to, but the three that were due first- in early/mid-december, have heard nothing.  Even if its a no, just give me something!

I just tried to call UCLA and no one answered. I also just sent Wendy Fujinami an email and let you know if I hear back from her. 

Cool--and please keep me posted!

So I'm assuming no MA acceptance at Columbia (and no other news) probably means a rejection...

I hope not. I was rejected from the Ph.D. program weeks ago. But the impression I was given via e-mail earlier this week is that since the admissions deadline is not until the end of March for the MA program, admissions will be rolling.

So all that angst and bile we've been choking on is probably going to remain there until April. Yay!

Edited by TheoryOfTheories

For those who received MA acceptances from Columbia: have you heard anything at all before that?

Nope: it was first I heard from them, and the website changed my applicant status from PhD to MA. Deadline to respond to offer is 3/18. Not taking the spot.

Also: the email subject line opens with "Congratulations," then follows up with: "a decision has been made on your application." Rude.

Edited by frantz

Yea there is still time to apply for the MA at Columbia, so silence at this point is by no means a rejection.

but does that mean to be considered only in MA program or else?

Yea there is still time to apply for the MA at Columbia, so silence at this point is by no means a rejection.

I think they were asking whether the silence meant a definite rejection from the PhD program. :)

I haven't heard from them yet either and don't know whether or not that means it's a definite rejection.

I think silence usually means rejection if and only if a program has already sent out acceptances and official wait lists. However, I did not apply to Columbia this year (not very nicely rejected last year and couldn't come up with any better argument for my candidacy this year, so decided to save the $100, despite the fact that in my heart of hearts I know that Sudhir Venkatesh and I would have a bromance for the ages).

Below is what the DGS wrote me last March after I emailed him:

"Dear [brokenwindow],

The news is, as I think you have surmised, not good. We have notified all those accepted. We accepted 17 out of 300+, and were necessarily unable to accept many worthy candidates. 

I know that sound like boilerplate, and in a sense it is. I've written it to others as well. It is at least true.

I do not know why the Graduate School has not sent out the bad news. That is their job not mine (which is not your fault, of course; you justly want to know).

Best of luck in your endeavors.

jdw"

Ugh, searching for that email reminded me of how sad I was last year, after months of increasingly desperate limbo to end up getting that crappy (though at least personalized) decision.

FWIW, this was my unsent draft email reply from moments after I received that body blow. It's probably for the best that I didn't send it.

"Professor Whitford,

Thank you very much for getting back to me. While this is not the news I wanted to hear, it is actually a genuine relief to have an official answer. Not hearing anything (after so many other people reported getting rejected) led to a lot of confusion, delusion, and compulsive refreshing of my online application status. I am very glad for that to be behind me.

Have a great evening!"

#dramaqueen lol.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news (and I hope I'm wrong or they are doing it differently this year).

Anyhow, silence as bad news not true for all schools. I know, for example, that Cornell does an unofficial wait list, so silence does not mean rejection in their case.

Edited by brokenwindow

I think silence usually means rejection if and only if a program has already sent out acceptances and official wait lists. However, I did not apply to Columbia this year (not very nicely rejected last year and couldn't come up with any better argument for my candidacy this year, so decided to save the $100, despite the fact that in my heart of hearts I know that Sudhir Venkatesh and I would have a bromance for the ages).

Below is what the DGS wrote me last March after I emailed him:

"Dear [brokenwindow],

The news is, as I think you have surmised, not good. We have notified all those accepted. We accepted 17 out of 300+, and were necessarily unable to accept many worthy candidates.

I know that sound like boilerplate, and in a sense it is. I've written it to others as well. It is at least true.

I do not know why the Graduate School has not sent out the bad news. That is their job not mine (which is not your fault, of course; you justly want to know).

Best of luck in your endeavors.

jdw"

Ugh, searching for that email reminded me of how sad I was last year, after months of increasingly desperate limbo to end up getting that crappy (though at least personalized) decision.

FWIW, this was my unsent draft email reply from moments after I received that body blow. It's probably for the best that I didn't send it.

"Professor Whitford,

Thank you very much for getting back to me. While this is not the news I wanted to hear, it is actually a genuine relief to have an official answer. Not hearing anything (after so many other people reported getting rejected) led to a lot of confusion, delusion, and compulsive refreshing of my online application status. I am very glad for that to be behind me.

Have a great evening!"

#dramaqueen lol.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news (and I hope I'm wrong or they are doing it differently this year).

Anyhow, silence as bad news not true for all schools. I know, for example, that Cornell does an unofficial wait list, so silence does not mean rejection in their case.

Knowing Whitford, it doesn't seem like a not very nice response. Just his personality.

Hello eveyone. I'm a foreign applicant and since I'm quite new here, I wonder if someone could tell me if there has been any acceptance notifications so far from the following universities: yale, upenn, columbia and nyu. As well as any further information about Chicago.

Hello eveyone. I'm a foreign applicant and since I'm quite new here, I wonder if someone could tell me if there has been any acceptance notifications so far from the following universities: yale, upenn, columbia and nyu. As well as any further information about Chicago.

Columbia and NYU have sent out acceptances. Columbia has also sent out rejections, but no rejections yet from NYU. You can look at the results search option on thegradcafe and see what schools have posted information.

Columbia and NYU have sent out acceptances. Columbia has also sent out rejections, but no rejections yet from NYU. You can look at the results search option on thegradcafe and see what schools have posted information.

What does it mean if Columbia hasn't sent me either acceptances or rejections by this point?

What does it mean if Columbia hasn't sent me either acceptances or rejections by this point?

I really don't know. There is a lot of theorizing on this forum about this issue, but I am of the opinion that the evidence points in a lot of different directions, so, we just don't know! (still, it's better than rejection).