Fall 2015 Acceptances (and Rejections) Thread

Anonymona

Well, my Fall 2015 season is over. Looks like I'm moving to either Ann Arbor or San Diego. I wouldn't wish this application process on my worst enemy! I'm glad it's over, happy to get back to real work, and very excited and pleased with my prospects.

I think, in the end, thegradcafe made me feel anxious more than anything else. Either way, I'm excited to see what this next generation of sociologists has to offer and I hope to see you all at ASA over the next years.

wow they seldom call people. Were you nominated for the Provost Fellowship?

They talked about some additional fellowship to the 5 year funding i got but it wasnt provost. I thought it was really nice of them to call me - other offers I received were just emails and phone call just felt more personal. They were super nice on the phone too. 

Any news from Upenn?

Their visit day is March 25 - so I think they have notified the admitted students already. I've been accepted there if you have any questions you want to PM me with.

Good luck with everything!

Edited by hgp

Congratulations to the UCLA admit. What a great surprise so late in the game. Here's hoping!

Thank you!! To all the waitlisted people - there is still hope, so never give up!

Who wrote the disturbing message about Tennessee on the result page? I am still trying to decide where I want to go. For me Tennessee is by far the best fit, but I am pushed way to hard to make a decision right now (without having the results from other universities). That's why I have second toughts.  Anyone in the same position? PM me. 

Who wrote the disturbing message about Tennessee on the result page? I am still trying to decide where I want to go. For me Tennessee is by far the best fit, but I am pushed way to hard to make a decision right now (without having the results from other universities). That's why I have second toughts.  Anyone in the same position? PM me. 

The Council of Graduate Schools has a long standing agreement that students are "under no obligation to respond to offers of financial support prior to April 15".  University of Tennessee is a signatory to that agreement, so they should not be trying to get you to submit the answer before 4/15. 

Obviously, if you've already ruled out a school, it is nice to let them know as soon as they are out of the running, so that they can go to the waitlist, but until you've decided for sure, there is no reason to feel pressure to make decisions before you have all the answers.

So, I got accepted to few programs, and while I am attempting to narrow down my choices, I figured I would ask for opinions here. SUNY-Binghamton, University of Utah, GMU, UCR, University of Oregon, and Boston U (most likely). Does anyone have any info about what kind of culture these departments have? Are people (student-student, and professors-students) there competitive, helpful, etc.,?

While, funding, fit, goals, etc., are important, I also don’t want to end up in a department where people hate each other. You can’t get this kind of information from the schools’ websites, so I figured I would ask here.

Thank you J

So, I got accepted to few programs, and while I am attempting to narrow down my choices, I figured I would ask for opinions here. SUNY-Binghamton, University of Utah, GMU, UCR, University of Oregon, and Boston U (most likely). Does anyone have any info about what kind of culture these departments have? Are people (student-student, and professors-students) there competitive, helpful, etc.,?

While, funding, fit, goals, etc., are important, I also don’t want to end up in a department where people hate each other. You can’t get this kind of information from the schools’ websites, so I figured I would ask here.

Thank you J

I think the best idea is to email some of the grad students at those programs.

I think the best idea is to email some of the grad students at those programs.

I will eventually. I just wanted to see what people have to say here first. I think people will be more honest here. 

So, I was recently offered a very generous funding package to attend Oklahoma State, but I haven't decided whether I will attend. Is anyone else here familiar with the program? If so, do you think it is worth attending?

Thank you J

I'm a current undergrad at Riverside (I've also been accepted here) and I know too much about this program. Message me any questions you have about the department--I'll try to be as honest as possible. I also know plenty of current grad students, so I generally know how they feel about the program. 

Thank you J

I was just at Binghamton and got a lot of information from professors and grad students. PM me if you need info.

So, I was recently offered a very generous funding package to attend Oklahoma State, but I haven't decided whether I will attend. Is anyone else here familiar with the program? If so, do you think it is worth attending?

Its not a very highly ranked program. They have a really good environmental soc program (Drs Dunlap, Caniglia and a few others) if that fits your interests.  Nice campus, nice area, just not the greatest rankings especially if you arent doing environmental.